It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:09 pm 
Pokémon Legend

Metalheadz wrote:
Football jocks, sure they can get any girl in the world they want, but is it for the popularity or is it for the love?

Lies and slander. I wouldn't be caught dead with a football jock. I'm one of few kids where, in my opinion, looks mean next to nothing in the order of importance. However, then again, I very, very rarely get crushes. I'm generally happy to just be friends with people. But, once again, this is coming from a kid who considers herself, at this stage in her life, to be asexual.

Hey, nothin' wrong with bein' gay. It's always a possibility. Just sayin'.

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:12 pm 
Mew

Personally, I'm just tired how the possibility seems to always get brought up when anyone has trouble finding a girlfriend/boyfriend. If you look at the numbers, the percentage of people that are seriously gay/lesbian is actually quite low.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:11 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Personally, I wonder where people get the idea that gays are a small percentage. Counting all the LGBT parties, it's about 5% of the population. Sound small? That's 1 in 20. Think of how many people you know. Think of how many, then, are gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, trans-gendered, or any variation. It comes out to a pretty sizable group that way, doesn't it?

I didn't mean to imply that because Zoras can't get a girl he must be gay. It just didn't seem right to completely ignore the possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:48 am 
Pokémon Master

Let's just end this whole thing with a quote from our old friend Socrates.

There is one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

"Dobby never meant to kill, only to...maim. Or seriously injure."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:48 am 
Mew

5% seems a little high to me, though it's a much more reasonable number than a lot of the ones I hear tossed around. But anyway, 5% really isn't that big of a percentage (that means 95% aren't, after all). But anyway, this really isn't the right thread to get into an in-depth discussion on the matter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:55 pm 
Pokémon Legend

Hm, I haven't ranted in a long time. So, here's a weird little rant that's pretty much a rant against myself, but I just kinda feel like putting it out there.

I've kind of been irritating myself with my jealousy. It's one of my... less admirable traits. My friend will be talking to me about something fun she did over the summer, and often times I'm excited for her, but then there are times where I just get so freaking jealous that I start to get angry. And I don't get seriously angry too often, but this honestly feels like there's something furious churning inside of me, corny as that sounds. I'll start gritting my teeth, too. The worst part is, there's a voice in the back of my head going "Be happy for her, stop being jealous, it's stupid!" but I just never seem to be able to listen to that part, until after when I'm reflecting back on the whole thing and I facepalm. Sometimes, it gets so bad that in my head I'm going "I hate you for this." Of course, I feel ridiculously guilty for acting so childish (even though it's only in my head) later on, but it doesn't stop me from letting it happen again.

What kind of ticked off this little rant is I saw a photo of my friend at GYLC (Global Young Leadership Conference) on facebook, and I got wicked jealous. See, I was invited to NYLC (National etc.) but my parents wouldn't let me go because I got invited to the fall one instead of the summer one and I'd have to miss school for it. That and it costs money. Anywho, I saw the pic, and I just got so freaking jealous I couldn't see straight. And I just sat there, thinking to myself, "I hate you, I hate you, it's not fair that you get to do this and I don't, I hate you." I'd been jealous that she also got to travel elsewhere that summer, but I hadn't gotten into one my... er, less proud moments. Not to mention I've just always been jealous of her for many reasons (she's prettier, nicer, more friendly, more helpful, more trusted, better singer, etc.). However, the fact that she also got to go to GYLC kinda pushed me over into one my... unfortunate states. Sigh. I'm ashamed of it all, but it's true. Right now, I feel wicked guilty for thinking all of that, 'cos she's done nothing wrong to me and she's one of my best friends and I care for her a ridiculous amount, it's just all my fault. I just wish I could stop being so childish and acting this way, but I can't.

And I'm always too afraid to mention any of this stuff to my friends because I'm worried they'll hate me for it, just as I dared to temporarily hate them in my stupid, jealous states. But it makes it easier 'cos I don't ever see you guys in person, or anything, and it's easier to be ashamed over the internet.

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:18 pm 
Mew

The best thing to do is probably to think about all the things that are great about your life instead of focusing on the things you're jealous about. The first step is to get to the point where you're not crazy jealous. Feeling happy for the other person can come later.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:26 pm 
Pokémon Master

I feel that way quite frequently, too, and I feel your pain. Hoiwever, the way I deal with that whenever I get so jealous of somebody else is to try to think of what I've done and have. I'm sure there are lots of things, Saber, that your friends envy you for. You may not know it, but they might be thinking "I wish I was awesome" or "I wish I was smart as" you are. There are things they don't have that you do have, and you may need to think of those, too.

I agree with Josiah. I'd also like to say if you keep comparing yourself to others, you might not ever find happiness, unless you count what you have.

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:14 pm 
Pokémon Master

Sorry for double posting, but I really wanted to rant about this.

Sometimes I wonder how on Earth people at school get so lucky. Me and my friend, last school year, were studying for an AP Exam. We went to the library together so we can study for a couple hours. He told me he barely spent any time studying, and that moment at the library was perhaps the only time he spent a while studying for the Exam. I, on the other hand, spent quite a while studying for that exam, almost three hours a day for a few weeks before the actual exam. So, we both take the exam. He passes with a perfect score of 5, despite barely studying, and I fail with a 2. Although he admitted he had dumb luck, I found it unfair all that luck brought him much closer to getting the college he wanted, while all my hard work went down the drain... Even some of the smartest students in my World History AP class failed or got a 3. How on Earth does somebody who doesn't really care about his work deserve a perfect score? I felt really jealous of my friend at that time.

Also, there are so many cheaters and lazy people at my school who don't bother doing their homework, studying, etc. I can even name a lot of them who have straight A's. One of them graduated last year and made it to the College of William and Mary, one of the best universities in Virginia. I keep asking myself, "How the crap do these people get whatever they want by cheating?" Despite being a straight A student for now, I vowed not to cheat (though people cheat off me sometimes, and the only time I do is by accident when I look over to my left... Which is totally my fault, I understand.) As for the lazy people, just like the paragraph above. I don't understand sometimes how some of the most successful people achieve where they are just because they got extremely lucky in school or cheated their way up the ladder. Life ain't fair sometimes...

Like this old competitive Pokemon geek used to say: "Luck over skill, always."

Saber Knight wrote:
And I'm always too afraid to mention any of this stuff to my friends because I'm worried they'll hate me for it, just as I dared to temporarily hate them in my stupid, jealous states. But it makes it easier 'cos I don't ever see you guys in person, or anything, and it's easier to be ashamed over the internet.

Me too, Saber...

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:42 pm 
Mew

Some people can get lucky on multiple choice tests and yes, life isn't fair. Unfortunately, that's the way things go. Not much to do other than accept it and move on.

Though I do have to point out that when it comes to things like tests, some people don't study much and get good grades not because of luck or cheating but because they're really smart or have a particularily good memory. My brother, for example, spends far more time studying than I ever did but his grades aren't any better than mine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:37 pm 
Gym Leader

Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm one of those people hate because I never studied in high school, and I've only studied for less than half of my college classes. But I also never take shortcuts, and I get help if I don't understand something, so I tend to take as much time doing homework as some people spend studying. I guess it's just how I learn; everyone learns differently. In fact, the last philosophy test I studied for (with decent sleep, so that wasn't the problem) I got a C on, compared to the other tests in that same class (B and A). And that wasn't the hardest test of the class.

Also, it's possible to study without actually taking everything (or anything) in. Remember to take breaks, and review sections you've just gone over. There are various tips online for studying. I don't know your study habits though, so I may be preaching to the choir.

Swalectrode (Electric, Poison) Attacks: Yawn, Tackle, Sludge, Screech (Wins 5, Losses 0) Exp:30 Static&Liquid Ooze Status: Lost T.T

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:41 am 
Mew

I had a student come in today with some comments on one of my classes. Some of his points were valid, if mostly out of my control since I was given the class at the last minute and have had to rebuild it from scratch without a book (since it was too late to get one approved).

One thing he said though was that, because he works full time and is a full time student he doesn't have time to spend 4-5 hours per week on my class. Thing is, this is college. The recommended amount of time to set aside every week for work/study is twice the amount of hours you actually spend in class. This is a three credit class we're talking about so 4-5 hours really isn't that bad, especially when you take into account that this class is being done online so he doesn't have to sit through three hours of lectures each week. I know what it's like to be short on time but really, 4-5 hours per week total (reading, "lectures", and homework) for a three credit class is hardly something to complain about. If he overbooked himself (and a full time job plus a full class load would give a lot of people problems) that's his fault, not mine. I'm sympathetic to hardworking students (I was one myself a very short time ago) but I'm not cutting down on the perfectly reasonable amount of projects I've been assigning because he bit off more than he could chew.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:06 pm 
Random Trainer

Josiah wrote:
Thing is, this is college.

I'm reminded of my cousin.

Which reminds me... I know that I have to work hard and all, but... RRRRRRRRRRGH! I know I'm smart (and I'm not trying to self-glorify myself), but... I really can't see myself in college. I feel like a total failure. I keep telling myself that I'll have a good life, that I'll be happy... but the more I do that, the more I see myself on the streets of some crappy city. I'm not unintelligent, but... Well, I have a mental disorder (two, I think) that... well... I just can't concentrate on my work. It's actually become very severe (I've stayed up all night for an essay that was SUPPOSED TO TAKE ONLY AND HOUR). I've considered ending my life on a few occasions, but... something's kept me going. And it's times like that when I find the resolve to keep on going. The cycle continues...

A rant against myself.

EDIT: No sympathy wanted, real or false.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:02 pm 
Mew

I'll point out that there's plenty of perfectly good jobs that don't require a high degree of concentration.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:23 pm 
Pokémon Master

We all have decisions in life we all regret making. My biggest one of all would have to be the decisions I made in freshman year. I shall tell you all, back in freshman year I was perhaps among the preppy kids back in that year, and I lost some friends because of that. But no, my worst mistake that year was not taking my grades seriously enough. I ended up with a semester grade with 3 C's, 2 B's, and 2 A's, and is possibly my worst report card of all time.

Why do I regret this so much, now? I've changed over the summer following my freshman year, one of these changes being going from the whiny and annoying White Samurai to myself, today. Anyway, I began getting more A's and B's with no C's. Junior year, I'm now getting straight A's. Finally, I check my GPA average this year, and I felt I died from a heart attack. My GPA was a 3.33, a huge slap on the face for me. I kept thinking to myself, "I've been getting so many good grades these past two years, why is it that low?" But then I realized it was just my freshman year grades that pulled my GPA down drastically.

I felt so upset about this. All the colleges I want to go to, including some honors given by my school, are demanding a 3.5 or above average. I've been doing hours of community service hours, AP Classes, internships, and trying to fulfill other requirements for majors and stuff for college, but it might be meaningless with a GPA below 3.5. Of course, it's not a terrible GPA, but I really know I'm capable of doing better. Furthermore, I can't really help but think about the horrible person I was back in freshman year. But hey, nothing I can really do right now at the moment but continue my straight A streak. By doing some calculations, I can probably get my GPA to at least a 3.7 or above if I keep my grades going.

Trophy Case:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next