It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:06 pm 
Mew

I mentioned it before but, long story short, my DSLite is busted. Whether it's plugged in or not, it randomly shuts off while in use (often after only a few minutes). After doing some research, I came up with the following options. Long story short, I'm having trouble deciding which route to take so I was curious what you guys think. My choices are:

1. Open it and try to fix it myself.
Definately the cheapest solution, but I'd need to find and order a special screwdriver (probably about $8-10) and there's no guarentee that the problem is something I can fix once I get it open.

2. Send it to Nintendo for repairs.
It's way out of warrenty, so repairs would cost me $75 + shipping. Note: My DSLite is an ordinary white one, so I don't have any particular attachment to it.

3. Get a factory refurbished replacement from Nintendo.
Costs $85 + shipping, but I'd only have to pay shipping one way, instead of two, so it's probably not much more than the price of getting mine fixed. Doesn't come with anything except the system.

4. Just buy a new DS Lite.
Costs around $130 but I get the whole package and could get a better color. Seems like a bit of a waste of money though.

5. Upgrade to a DSi.
Costs about $170. On the up side, I'd get DSiware (though there isn't anything I really want on it right now), bigger screens, the SD card slot, and the cameras (which I really don't care about at this point). Plus, there's always a chance that some future game I want will be exclusive to the DSi because of it's new features. On the down side, that's a lot of money, the battery life isn't as good as the lite's, and I'd lose the GBA slot (not that I really need it though since I have a working GBA and already transfered over all my pokémon).

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Before anything else, I would try opening it up. The screwdriver isn't too expensive and it may come in handy again later. You won't be violating any warranty, and if the system's barely running to begin with, you can't make it any worse. It's worth a try, at the very least. I have heard that the inside of a DS is a mess, though... not sure if it's any better with the the Lite, but it's apparently unnecessarily complicated and difficult to figure out. Unless you know what you're doing, there is a good chance you won't solve the problem that way. It does sound like it's just an issue of replacing the battery though, which shouldn't be too complicated, though it may cost you a bit.

If not, I'd just spring for a new DS Lite. You know you'd be getting it in perfect condition and wouldn't have to play the waiting game with Nintendo shipping anything back to you. I don't really know their policy, how long they take to ship things or how much they'd charge, but if you do decide to open it up there's no guarantee they'd fix it for you anyway.

if nothing else, I definitely think the DSi is a waste. Outside of the possibility of DSi exclusive games, all it offers are a few casual-oriented new feature. If anything, I'd wait on the DSiXL. Comes out later this year, has all the features of the DSi plus a slightly improved battery life, and seems a bit more comfortable to hold (not that I've held one, that's just based on looks). Plus the screen is even bigger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 pm 
Mew

I'm pretty certain it's not the battery since it keeps shutting off regardless of whether it's plugged in or not (charging the battery doesn't change things either). I tried cleaning the battery too, to no effect.

I pretty much agree with you about the DSi. The only reason I'm considering one is the "what if there's some must have exclusive game in the future" issue. Admittedly, that's not the greatest reason. Though I'd hate to get a Lite now and have to buy a DSi next year cause there's a sequel to The World Ends With You or something... And, if I'm going to buy a whole new system anyway, it's only an extra $40... As for the XL (or is it LL, I've seen it both ways)... The extra battery life and bigger screen is nice, but it looks kinda bulky, isn't out yet (and I'd kinda like to play the new Ace Attorney game in the not too distant future), and is going to cost even more than the regular DSi. So I'm not too sure about it. But yeah, I suppose I probably should spring for the screwdriver and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:25 pm 
Blaziken

Be VERY careful with opening up the DS. The most fragile part is the wires that transmit the data to the top screen, so look for that the first thing you do.
The inside of the DS is a big mess compared to many other electronics these days (even the Wii is pretty simple).
Why not get a new battery or something? Or borrow someone else's battery to see if that's even the problem first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:20 pm 
Mew

If it was the battery, I'm pretty certain that it would work while plugged in though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:50 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Honestly, that's why I think it's the battery. You've probably just used it so much that it can't hold the charge anymore, even while plugged in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 pm 
Mew

Actually, even if the problem is the battery, it's definately not the charge wearing down. I've had rechargable batteries die on me before (like in my first laptop and MP3 player, for example). The thing is, my battery is holding a charge just fine. The DS says it has a charge and, after the power dies, I can turn it right back on and it still says it has plenty of charge and I can do that ten or twenty times and it's still good. If it wasn't able to hold a charge, once it dies it should stay dead until I recharge it. That and even if a battery can't hold a charge anymore, it should still work while plugged in because it draws enough power from the socket to both charge the battery and power the system at the same time (which is why you can play a game while your DS is plugged in and the battery will still gain a charge (though slower than if you weren't playing anything)). I suppose there's a chance that the battery's got a short in it or something, but it's definately holding a charge ok. Unfortunately, most of my friends in CO moved away a long time ago and the ones that are still around don't have DS Lites (or any DS's for that matter) so I can't try swapping the battery.

I got the screwdriver today and opened up both the top and bottom halves (despite what everyone says, it really isn't a mess inside at all). I can't see anything obviously wrong. My hinge has a crack in one spot but it's been like that for ages and there were no loose pieces, huge pieces of dust, or anything inside. I got it back together ok and the screens, speakers, and buttons still all worked fine but the whole randomly dieing problem remains. So whatever the problem is it's not obvious and not something I can fix just by opening the DS.

I suppose for one last test I could try playing a GBA game on it (trying it on both screens) and see if it still cuts out. If it only does it on one screen, than one of the screen wires has probably gone bad. I could get an extra battery and try that, but I'm thinking it would be a waste of money and I kinda doubt anywhere in town sells them. -.-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 am 
Mew

Double post, but it's been a little while and my last post is long enough as is. It's good news, bad news time.

The Good News: I figured out what's wrong with my DS, more or less. See, I decided to test the two screen use a GBA game, like I mentioned in my last post. I was playing Wario Ware and everything was going fine for quite a while, until I tried to cancel out of a couple things. So I switched screens and tried again. Once again, everything worked just fine until I canceled out of things. That seemed odd so I did a little experimenting and discovered that I could almost always cause the system to shut off by hitting the B button a few times in a row. The reason Wario Ware worked fine until I needed to cancel was because canceling is the only thing the B button is used for in that game. So the battery was fine, the problem was something with the B button or the surrounding electronics.

The Bad News: So I opened up my DS again, took the entire circut board and screen out (not totally, since there's some wires that are attached to the top screen, but as much as I could) and took a look at the buttons. Unfortunately, I couldn't see anything that looked loose, damaged, etc. Which means that it's probably a short on that part of circut board or something like that so there's nothing I can do to fix it.

The Worse News: Taking the whole board off and putting it back wasn't that hard, but it required jiggling things around a lot more. Turns out that the part of the circut board that connects to the power switch has this really tiny plastic tab on it that can snap off fairly easily if the switch isn't aligned perfectly when you put the casing back on. And, if said tab breaks off, you can't turn the DS on and it's looks near impossible to glue back on properly.

Long story short, I broke the power switch on my DS and I doubt I'll be able to fix it. On the kinda sorta bright side, I'm pretty certain that the DS was busted and pretty much unfixable to begin with (cause of that whole B button causes it to shut off thing). So it looks like it's definately time to get a new DS. Naturally this had to happen now when I'm trying to save my money cause of all those games coming out next month. Sigh... Oh well, it's not like I don't have the money. I just didn't want to spend that much. Anyway, to the question at hand. Should I get a new Lite, a DSi, or wait for the XL?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]