It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm 
Mew

While I'm generally very anti-piracy, I'm a bit more lenient when something doesn't have an official domestic release (same as with anime fansubs). Though, if you'd like to keep things legal I could probably pick you up a copy of the actual cartridge when I'm in Japan.

Also, I really want to play P4 Arena now that I'm totally done with Golden...but both my copy and my PS3 are back in Florida so it'll be a while.

Finally, in the visual novel front, I started playing Princess Waltz a bit. So far, it's been moderately entertaining and has a pretty awesome soundtrack. You hardly get to make any decisions, but the battles are kinda fun (way better than Koihime Musou's).

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:58 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

I don't have P4 Arena, nor Guilty Gear, but I do love Guilty Gear. Maybe I'll try to scare up a copy we can jam on during Otakon, haha.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:51 pm 
Blaziken

Well, I don't take P4A 100% seriously, just playing that for the story. I mean it's okay, but it's really casual compared to ArcSys' other titles, especially because of lolautocombo.

Unfortunately, I still really suck at fighters, so even the simplest of AIs defeat me rather easily in Guilty Gear. The online community for it is also very elitist, so I'd get nowhere there. Still learning, slowly but surely.
Been practicing BlazBlue CS Extend somewhat as well. A lot of the things I'm learning from Gear translates well into this game. I just don't have a character that I like playing as in that one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:56 pm 
Mew

I mainly want to play P4 Arena for the story. I can have fun with 2D fighters but I'm not very good with them either. The tutorials in Skull Girls helped a lot, but the AI still gave me enough of a challenge on normal. But I think I improved enough that I can get through the arcade and story modes in Blazblue without quitting in frustration. Of course, it's back in Florida along with P4 Arena so...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:59 pm 
Blaziken

What are you playing with? I'm guessing a PS3 pad?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:27 am 
Mew

Yeah. I'm not a big enough fan of fighters to invest in an arcade stick. And I think the dual shock works pretty well once you get used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:42 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Although I have fight sticks, I find pads often work plenty well. I don't think it particularly matters, it's just what you're comfortable with.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:03 am 
Blaziken

There are certain inputs I can get only get consistently on a stick, and there are certain inputs I can get consistently on a pad. Fight pads also give different results with me as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:10 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

I would just like to direct everyone's attention to this little gem momentarily.

Also, let us know what the prices on the Mother games are like. If ebay is anything to go by, they're waaay out of our price range.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:01 pm 
Mew

From what I remember, the Mother games weren't too expensive in Japan. Though it could depend on the version and they may have gotten rarer since then. Anyway, I'll take a look when I got to Akihabara and let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:57 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Have I mentioned that ANIMAL CROSSING? Because ANIMAL CROSSING. Me an' Colly did the midnight e-shop download on this guy. And now we're mayors! I bet none of you guys are mayors!

Also, we added a bunch of people from the internet (read: /vg/) as friends and now we can open our gates and have a bunch of people walk in without fail and it's so cool. Also we got a lot of fruit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 am 
Mew

I haven't played this recently but I've got a question for Colly. You've played Idol Master, right? Can you give me a quick overview? Trying to decide if I should pick up a copy while I'm in Japan.

Side note: Mother 3 tends to sell for around $50 right now. Haven't seen the Mother 1&2 combo yet. Both of them seem to have gotten a lot rarer over the last couple years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:22 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

I believe I'll be able to field this one.

Basic overview of the series? You play as an idol producer and you need to raise your idols to win auditions. You do this by raising their stats and choosing their costumes and songs (and then you get to watch them perform, which has always been the selling point of the series). Now, as for the individual games...

IDOLM@STER 360: Graphics are a little outdated I suppose, but by no means bad. What's great about this one is that each idol has an involved story and personality; basically, it's got a visual novel side, while also being a fairly tough training simulation and having a good soundtrack and tons of customization options for the voices singing them and the outfits they wear while singing them.

Live for You: This one was made specifically for people who make custom videos... it's just expanded customization for the performances. And it's got a little rhythm game thing, too. But no training and no story.

IM@S SP: PSP "port" of the first game, it's got the same overall story, but with added scenes to interact with the new rival characters. Obviously, it's not as pretty as the 360 game, and it's also split into three parts; while you had ten idols to choose from in the first one, it's three per game here, while one was cut entirely and turning into a rival... you can still have her sing and dance at least (as well as the two new rivals) but her story's gone and it was actually pretty good. The gameplay's just as good as the first though.

IM@S DS: This one was... weird. It's technically a spin-off. You don't play as a producer; you are the idol... the auditions have a luck factor, so it's not all stats and skill like it was in the others... and the track list is tiny. Since it's on the DS, it's not as impressive visually... but the story's all right, and you've got Kana Hanazawa and Haruka Tomatsu voicing two of the main characters.

IDOLM@STER 2: You'll notice that this one's on the PS3 and the 360. Well, the PS3 one's an enhanced port of the 360 game that includes DLC you had to pay for in the 360 version. So that one's right out. Otherwise... all of the idol's individual stories with all their big branching endings are gone; there's just the basic story of your unit competing against a few rivals. Also, the training strategy is not nearly as deep, they force you to take on three idols and made it easier for you to manage them... by which I mean they made it really, really easy. So... all of the things that made it engrossing or challenging... are completely gone. But damn is it pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:24 pm 
Mew

So, I guess the original 360 version it the best overall then. I'll have to see what it's selling for. Though I'm not sure how much I'd get out of visual novel elements due to only knowing around 300 out of 2000 kanji...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 am 
Blaziken

For the visual novel elements, I actually used a guide that told me the right answers. iM@S 2 was tough for me, as some questions involved knowing which Japanese prefecture was where. But that's the only stop for me.

iDOLM@STER was fun and unique in its own way, that's for sure. It even takes a while if you want to raise all of the idols. Keep in mind that some are more difficult than others (I do not recommend raising Chihaya, Ritsuko, or Iori first). It definitely tested my own management skills, which most sims can't seem to accomplish anymore.
If you have easy access to the first 360 title, go ahead and grab it. The PSP version is also not a bad choice (the SP series, not Shiny Festa). If you plan to get the sequel, the PS3 version is the complete version.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next