It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Starting a webcomic site
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 pm 
Egg

So, I have two friends. One is an art major, and has been having a comic drawing craze as of late. The other is a computer major, but he has a vow of silence type deal (its kinda complicated) so he cant get on a forum and ask this himself, thus they designated me. First, my art friend wants to make a website to showcase his comics. He intends to start doing them on a regular basis, then adding them online. Not like a story, but more like VG cats or penny arcade. The whole random adventure of the week. They will be based on our everyday life, and the craziness that happens. Now, we have our computer friend to help us get it going, but I will be the voice of the site we make (his vow prevents him from typing as well). Now the artist wants to copyright his work, or at least protect it, and we need a good free site, at least to get started on it. If it gets popular, or we get a loyal fan base, we will pay for a better site. So, any suggestions about this plan of ours? Sorry the post was so long

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:25 am 
Mew

I can't speak for other countries but in the US pretty much anything original that you create it automatically copyrighted. Just add a little notice somewhere and you're good to go. Anything more than that is overkill unless your friend eventually tries to make a book of his comics or something (and you can deal with that if/when it happens). As for sites... If you don't want to pay for hosting you may want to check out Keenspace and Drunk Duck since they do free web hosting for comics. You'll have less control over the layout of the site than you would with your own host, but that's the type of trade off you have to make.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:38 pm 
Combusken

yeah, plus it helps to advertise it on other forums so that people can see what you did.
As long as the head of the forum says it's alright to do so, and as long as you know where on the forum you can post the stuff, cause i have no clue whatsoever.

please check me out, i'm desperate!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]