It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anime Help Center
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 pm 
Pokémon Master

This is just a thread for asking some questions related to Japanese animation.

So the very first question for this topic...

Recently, I've heard of a demigod anime protagonist named Dark Schneider, who people claim is much more powerful than DB's Goku and Death Note's Light Yagami. I've been thinking of reading the manga "Bastard!" recently, but before I begin, I want a little bit spoiled for me. May somebody tell me what they know of Dark Schneider?

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Anime Help Center
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 am 
Mew

I haven't read Bastard but just in terms of power, Goku and Light are on completely different scales. Light, or anyone with a Death Note, can kill anyone so long as he knows their real name and face and has enough time to write them down. Very powerful, but very limited Anyone who light doesn't have enough info about is safe and the Death Note is best used from a safe place since Light could easily be shot, stabbed, or punched before getting the chance to write a name. Heck, you could even snatch the Death Note away and use it against him. Then you have Goku. He can fly, teleport, shoot energy beams, and is strong enough to blow up a small solar system if he felt like it. He has no defense against the Death Note, but could kill Light 100 times over in the span of a second.

So, while they're both powerful, you can't directly compare them because their powers are so different. Either could easily beat the other depending on the circumstances.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 pm 
Blaziken

Are we discussing powerlevels here? Because I can easily turn this thread upside down bringing in the Type Moon and Raildex cast.

I'm a general believer that Goku is the most powerful anime character yet, but I've always questioned how well a battle against Accelerator (a character from Index who has the ability to control all vectors) would be. But then again, I always seem to ignore Goku's speed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

And, I'll say again: Accelerator can be punched in the face. Touma, who is by all accounts average in the physical strength department, succeeded in punching him in the face. Ranged and magical attacks don't work, but if you're fast enough to punch him in the face before he can dodge, he's not hard to take down like that.

Also, you can defeat Accelerator rather easily by holding a Loli hostage and then shooting him in the face, even if you're below average in the physical strength department. Bonus points if the Loli is a ticking time bomb capable of destroying humanity like that, but I don't think it would really matter so much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:26 am 
Mew

When it comes to pure physical strength, I don't think there's any other characters that can beat Goku (with the possible exception of some of an all-powerful god character). He's also got energy blasts and insane speed. That said, he could be killed by a Death Note and we don't really know how well he'd fair against magical attacks or hexes (so a powerful magician like Lina Inverse could potentially have a shot at defeat him). That said though, as Colly pointed out, Goku is ridiculously fast and he can teleport so even if he ended up fighting someone with a power that would work well against him, there's a good chance he could take them down before they had the chance to do anything. Heck, Goku doesn't even need to be able to land a blow. So long as his opponent needs to breath in order to live, Goku could always just destory the entire planet and teleport to safety (not that he'd do that, but could).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:49 am 
Pokémon Master

Tenchi Masaki from Tenchi Muyo!, it's been a while since I've watched any of it, but is it true he has the potential of being "Kami" as in a god in Japanese?

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:35 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

All right, I don't know anything about Tenchi Muyo and this is completely unrelated to the previous discussion topic, but if this is just a general "Anime Help Center" then this is the best place to ask. It's an issue that has been bothering me for quite some time...

Now, first it must be understood that Colly is Asian and has black hair, while I am Irish and have... Irish colored hair. Why is it... that in every single possible anime team we have considered for cosplay... it's the guy with dark hair and the girl with light hair?

Examples:
Luffy and Nami (Coincidentally, Colly makes a great Luffy, but still)
Kanon or George and Shannon (Umineko is loaded with this - Hideyoshi and Eva, Ronove and Beatrice too...)
Tomoya and Nagisa
Asbel and Nausicaa
Kazuma and Tsukino
Genki and Holly
Freaking Ash and Misty

This even applies to crossdressers; it's the Reverse Traps with dark hair and the traps with light hair:
Takatsuki and Nitori
Touma and Makoto
Makoto and Ryou

Can someone please give me examples of the reverse? The only one I can think of is Ichigo and Rukia from Bleach, and I'm not really up for that one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:02 pm 
Mew

In the main series, Tenchi defeated a god (with help), but I don't recall it ever saying that he had a chance to become one. But it has been a while since I watched it... Regardless, if this is still related to the strongest character topic, Tenchi and friends wouldn't stand a chance against Goku.

For Silver. Girls are usually the ones with colorful hair but let's see here...
Inuyasha and Kagome (Inuyasha)
Cloud and Tifa (Ok, so Final Fantasy VII isn't quite an anime...)
[url=http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/f/ff/28839-chichi_20goku_20married_1_super.jpg]Goku (as a super saiyan) and Chichi[/img] (Dragonball. He''s not super saiyan in this pic but it's all I could find.)
Amelia and Zelgaddis (Her hair isn't black, but it's a dark blue/purple so it's close)
Haruhi and Tamaki (Or most of the other male leads from Ouran Highschool Host Club.)
Vash and Meryl (Trigun)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:50 pm 
Pokémon Master

What makes an OVA different from a typical anime run? While watching some old Tenchi Muyo! OVA episodes, I realized the episodes were a tad longer, or maybe it's just me.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:22 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Well, Colly probably wouldn't want me to be a furry, so Inuyasha is out... and I don't know about Blue skin, so no Slayers, but... Cloud and Tifa's a cool idea, and... why didn't I think of Vash and Meryl? That would be fun.

Also, the difference between OVAs and the others is usually just the TV schedule. TV Anime have definite, regularly scheduled air dates... OVAs are usually straight to DVD sort of things, which will sometimes be shown on TV randomly, like TV Specials. That's the only real difference, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 am 
Mew

Silver is right about the regular anime versus OVA difference. And since OVAs don't air in regular TV slots, they can be any length the studio wants them to be, which is why many OVA episodes end up around 30 - 45 minutes long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 pm 
Pokémon Master

Kinda off-topic of what's been going on... But after finishing watching the whole Tenchi Muyo! OVA series, there are quite a few anime protagonists, and even villains, which could probably solo the whole DBZ universe in an all-out war. Z, from the 3rd OVA, is near omnipotent (being maximized in every potential possible), in which Goku hasn't achieved that level yet. I'd say Goku and his friends are the strongest in terms of physical strength, but there are countless characters which can prevail to him.

Only my opinion.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 pm 
Mew

Omnipotence doesn't neccessarily win battles, you know. Being all seeing, all knowing, etc is useful but won't stop you from getting punched into next week by someone who is strong and fast enough and Goku is pretty much stronger and faster than anyone. Besides, Z's super attack only destroyed half of Earth. All the main fighters in DBZ could easily blow up an entire planet by the end of the series and most could take out a solar system if they felt like it. Vegeta was strong enough to blow up Earth in the Saiyan saga when his power level was under 20,000 and by the end of the Freiza saga Goku is over 1,000,000 and he gets way stronger before the series ends. There are a few characters who could take down the heroes of DBZ (such as Light from Death Note) but only under special circumstances. I don't think any other characters I've seen could do so in a straight up fight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:57 pm 
Pokémon Master

Keep in mind, when Z only blew up half the Earth and the moon, he stated to Tenchi that was a little bit of what he can do with his powers. Also, later in that episode, he destroyed a whole fleet of starships by just powering up. Plus, he resisted the powers of three goddesses and has capabilities such as escaping a black hole (if Tenchi can do it, Z can too.) Not to mention, Z and Tenchi can both breathe in space, alter reality, travel at the speed of light (when Tenchi got to Saturn by just dodging an attack.) I guess I can agree that Goku can beat any anime character head-on, but when it comes to omni-characters like Tenchi Masaki and Haruhi Suzumiya, the universe would probably get screwed before any DBZ character can touch them.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:18 pm 
Mew

God-like powers or not, I still don't think Tenchi or Z could take Goku in most circumstances (Goku can't breath in space, but he could teleport to somewhere with an atmosphere before that would kill him). It takes a power level of, say, 14,000, to blow up the Earth. DBZ stopped using scouters after Freiza but if you go by the trading cards (and ignore the horrible DBGT), Goku probably ended the series at somewhere around 9,000,000. Basically, the fighters in DBZ are holding back significantly since they usually don't want to destroy the planet they're fighting on.

As for Haruhi, I suppose she could potentially rewrite reality to make Goku weak, but only if she could actually control her power. And if it wasn't instantaneous, Goku would nail her before she could. Just like Light or Lelouch. Both have a power that could take down Goku, but he'd almost certainly destroy them before they could use it.