It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 am 
Mew

I've been toying with the idea of writing a Japan travel guide specifically for otaku. In addition to the obvious stuff (places to buy anime/manga/game stuff, theme restaurants, etc) there would be a heavy focus on real world locations (towns, cities, landmarks, etc) that appear in or at least strongly inspired loactions in anime/manga/games. At the moment, I'm trying to come up with a list of likely locations. And that's where I'd like your help. Can you make a list of whatever fitting locations you can think of along with what they appeared in? Here's a few to get you started:

Akihabara, Tokyo (Featured in Genshiken, Lucky Star, etc.)
Ikebukuro, Tokyo (Setting of Durarara)
Tokyo Tower, Tokyo (Featured in Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Eyeshield 21, etc.)
Kinkakuji, Kyoto (Featured in pretty much every school anime/manga/game that includes a Kyoto fieldtrip)
Shirakawa, Gifu (Inspired Hinamizawa Village in Higurashi)
Nishinomiya, Hyogo (Setting of The Melancholoy Haruhi Suzumiya)

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Son, I am disappoint. Shibuya should be the first thing on that list because TWEWY. Not an anime perhaps, but all anime fans are also Square fans...

I know I've seen Okinawa City a few times in anime too, first one that comes to mind is Blood+.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:52 pm 
Mew

I didn't forget about Shibuya (I love TWEWY), I just don't have time right now to type up every single place I can think of. As for the top of the list, the places I listed are in no particular order. But here's a few more for now...

Shibuya, Tokyo (Setting of TWEWY; Featured in a lot of Shojo series)
Giant Ferris Wheel, Odaiba Tokyo (Featured in an Inuyasha ending theme, various Shojo series)
Hachiko Statue, Shinjuku, Tokyo (Featured in TWEWY, most anime/manga set in Tokyo at one point or another)
Mt. Fuji (Featured in just about every anime set in Japan at one point or another)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:55 am 
Gym Leader

Please Teacher and Please Twins:
The setting of the series, though left unsaid in either anime or manga, is Lake Kizaki, located in Nagano, Japan, and the region and its surrounding locations are featured prominently and accurately across the series.[2] The novel states that the school the characters attend is the Nagano Prefectural Kizaki High School. This school is based upon the Old Matsumoto High School located in Agatanomori Park of Matsumoto-shi, about an hour south of Lake Kizaki on the JR Ōito Line. The tower of which Kaede and Hyosuke stand upon can be found in Joyama Park on the northwest part of the city. It happens some time in the future after 2009.

I was gonna just say Lake Kizaki but theres more specifics.
One of our destinations in Japan when we eventually go there.
So many places I want to go.

That spikes you when you pick it up

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:40 pm 
Blaziken

Cuenca, Spain - Inspired Seize in the anime Sora no Woto
Lots of multi-culture in that anime. They wrote (and maybe spoke) in French, were christened with Japanese names, used yen as their currency, had a religion where their temple was a combination of a church and a shrine, and many other things while living in a town inspired by Spain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:26 pm 
Mew

That's pretty interesting...though not a place I could put in a Japanese travel guide.