It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime Help Center
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:13 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

I didn't so much mean the show as the titular character, in the case of CCS. Sakura, the character, is extremely popular... she was moe before moe was moe. On top of that, she had tons of different outfit designs meaning fanart, cosplay, and merchandise possibilities are endless. Going by the internet and Otakon, Sakura is more popular than Sailor Moon.

Also consider that the main audience for these series kind of became... lolicons. Sailor Moon doesn't appeal to them at all, but Sakura and Nanoha, well...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:30 pm 
Pokémon Master

Being an actual fan of the Sailor Moon fanbase, I would beg to differ on many of your points regarding the lolicons. But again, I'd rather not comment for I don't pay attention to those super ridiculous things. Sakura is a more popular than character than Usagi Tsukino, I can agree. Yet I find it hard to believe still that CCS would even live the same legacy Sailor Moon has been for a while.

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am 
Mew

Remember legacy doesn't neccessarily equare to popularity. There are lots of classic ground breaking TV shows and movies that hardly anyone these days cares about. Not saying that everyone has forgotten Sailer Moon, I'm just saying that the fact is a classic and has a good legacy doesn't mean it's guarenteed to be popular now.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:41 pm 
Blaziken

Plenty of good old shows can no longer appeal anymore these days. Hopefully this moe boom ends soon. It's reached the point where if you don't produce moe, your studio will go bankrupt. Madhouse...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:45 pm 
Mew

It probably won't last too much longer. In entertainment, everything seems to go in cycles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:00 pm 
Pokémon Master

Josiah wrote:
Remember legacy doesn't neccessarily equare to popularity. There are lots of classic ground breaking TV shows and movies that hardly anyone these days cares about. Not saying that everyone has forgotten Sailer Moon, I'm just saying that the fact is a classic and has a good legacy doesn't mean it's guarenteed to be popular now.

Perhaps we'll get a better judgement on that from somebody on the forum who's really apart of the CCS fanbase. Meh, even I have to admit Sailor Moon isn't even that popular anymore.

And what is moe, exactly? (Don't blame me for not knowing any of this.)

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:48 am 
Blaziken

It's hard to explain. It's a general genre that has cute girls doing cute things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 pm 
Mew

For the record, I do like CCS, so long as you ignore the horrible English dub of the anime.

But yeah, moe is cute girls (usuall in different catagories such as maid, girl with classes, etc) being cute and lovable. More or less...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 pm 
Random Trainer

Hey, anyone remember the anime, Samurai Pizza Cats? I just heard that someone licensed it for distribution. I read about it here by the way.

http://www.pokeplushies.com/feed/785421
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hyperion(4); Gender - Male; Abilities - Blaze, Keen Eye;Attacks - Leer, Tackle,Ember,Double Team;Holding - Nothing
Celsius(4) - Gender: Female; Type: Bug, Ice; Abilities: Shed Skin, Inner Focus; Attacks: Powder Snow, Protect,Double Team,Tackle
Cobra(4) - Gender: Female; Type: Water, Poison; Abilities: Shed Skin, Storm Drain; Attacks: Mud-Slap, Leer, Harden,Bite
Eric (2) - Gender: Male; Type: Psychic, Flying; Abilities: Trace, Keen Eye; Attacks: Growl, Gust, Sand-Attack
Bruce (3) - Gender: Male; Type: Grass, Fighting; Abilities: Guts, Sand Veil; Attacks: Tackle, Poison Sting,Absorb, Helping Hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:07 pm 
Torchic

Of course I would choose to post when you guys are talking about moe. Ugh. Quite frankly I can't stand it. Except for CCS, because that was like, a decade before moe. I have yet to find a moe show that had a decently written plot. It is for this reason that I mostly watch shounen anime.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:43 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

>Hate Moe
>Use Madoka as avatar

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:53 pm 
Blaziken

I don't know if I would classify Madoka under moe. It has slight moe elements, but that's about it.
However, shounen for decent plots? Sorry, did you mean seinen?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 pm 
Torchic

Madoka is far from moe. The art may look like it, but there is like, no moe in the anime at all. It's too dark and edgy for that. Also there is such a thing as shounen with good plot. It's called One Piece.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:23 pm 
Random Trainer

Hey, as Ryuuko said, shounen can have good plots too. I'm just gonna throw One Piece (again) and FullMetal Alchemist out there. While there are other shounen series that I enjoy, those two stand out for being particularly engaging.

...As for moe, I can't say I'm too fond of it. Most art styles where the females have huge sparkly eyes taking up 1/3rd of their faces will put me on edge, especially if their eyebrows and/or eyelids are angled so that the inner corner is higher than the outer, creating a drooping effect. To me, it just makes characters look irritatingly dependent, like they need someone else to do everything for them. 'Course this doesn't always apply, but that is my first impression, and first impressions are difficult to get rid of. It could actually be intentional, to appeal to the audience's protective instincts... but eh, it's not working for me. :/

The fact that a lot of art of badly-designed female OCs on the Internet have these huge "moe eyes" doesn't help...

Meh Siggy Site
And another one because they decreased the number of allotted pages on free sites

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:26 pm 
Torchic

The moe shows I have been exposed to - at least to me - tended to have little to no character development for that moe characters. I happen to like a good story along with art so, I makes me kinda picky.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next