It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 am 
Mew

Here's something a bit simpler than the last challenge. Write an essay (minimum one moderate length paragraph, no maximum) about who your favorite PV character (or group of characters for people like The Black Suit Guys) is, why, and what you'd like to see that character do in the future. Post your entry in this thread. Since it's about your favorite character, this challenge is limited to one entry per person. You have through Tuesday (the 8th). Entries will be judged on thoughtfullness, humor, and how much I enjoy reading them.

First Prize: 30 points
Second Prize: 20 points
Third Prize: 10 points

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:38 pm 
Pokémon Legend

Oh, cool, it's like homework, but significantly better! I can totally do this... later... when I'm not ridiculously busy with Fest.

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:41 pm 
Blaziken Level 100

Aw yes, I have 'til tuesday this time! To my brainstorming corner!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm 
Pokémon Champion

If only I didn't have to work this weekend I'd actually try this one T_T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:15 pm 
Blaziken Level 100

My entry!

"There are many characters in the continuum of Pebble Version, but you can only like a handful of them, and you can only have one as your absolute favorite. So... who would make it as number one on the list of my favorite characters? Xain, because he's the only one who's awesome enough to make it there. But in further explanation, I chose Xain because he reminds me of myself. He's overconfident, and knows how to get helplessly lost anywhere. Xain is also the rival character, and though I prefer villains, I know Xain better than I do the villain characters... Besides, he makes a great rival anyways, he even picked up a guide for rivals. Xain, however, does not need a guide for being the most awesome there is around, but what he does need a guide to following a map... or just following a path.

--Puyon"

I was taught that 8 sentences make a paragraph, so I stuck to the bare minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:06 pm 
Pokémon Legend

Well, here's my entry. I've also emailed it to Josiah, because this absolutely KILLS all my nice formatting and stuff.

So I finished my 8 page research paper a few days before I started this. That might explain a lot.

This is just a direct copy-paste from the Word document, so the formatting is totally killed and such, but, deal.

Grass Kid:
The Greatest Pebble Version Character

Pebble Version King of the Forums Contest
Mr. Josiah
http://www.pebbleversion.com
Due: March 8, 2011

By: Saber Knight

When deciding one’s favorite character, it is easy to simply look at the main character and simply state that they are indeed the best character in the work. This occurs simply because the main character has been explored significantly more than the other characters due to the increased screen time he/she receives. However, it is important to look beyond this and into the mettle of a character that may not be explored quite as much. One such character is the Grass Kid from the comic Pebble Version by Josiah Lebowitz. Though he may have only appeared in a handful of strips, he clearly demonstrated a strong sense of responsibility and caring, as well as a powerful sense of determination and cleverness, which earns him the title of Saber Knight’s favorite character.
From his very first appearance, the Grass Kid demonstrated his caring for others. With his trademark cry of “Beware the grass!” (Lebowitz, 6) he warns the hero Brendan of the dangers of the tall grass. His sense of responsibility here is overpowering, as he truly cares for the well-being of people that are no more than strangers to him. His warnings were not unfounded, either, which is clearly demonstrated not long after when Brendan ignores the Grass Kid’s warnings and ends up crying “I want my mommy!!!” (Lebowitz, 10) after spending a couple hours lost in the grass. On top of this, Brendan ends up with an Ariados on his head once he has finally escaped the grass (Lebowitz, 12), something that could have been avoided had he listened to the Grass Kid. Though the Grass Kid’s initial warning may have seemed a bit psychotic, this was merely due to his enthusiastic character, for, as it was clearly seen with Brendan, his fears were completely reasonable. The Grass Kid was trying with all his might to protect Brendan from harm from the terrors of the tall grass.
The Grass Kid’s tendency toward caring is made clear later on in another situation. He hears a man crying for help, and even though going to rescue him would mean that he would have to traverse the dangerous tall grass, he remarks that going in to save the man is “Plan B” (Lebowitz, 19). While many people would turn a blind eye to a distress call, the Grass Kid takes interest because of his caring and considerate spirit.
Though for quite a while the Grass Kid disappears from the main storyline, he makes an appearance later on when some of his backstory is revealed on how he came to arrive in Littleroot in the first place (Lebowitz, 405). Again, he vanishes for some time until it is learned that he is making plans to overcome the treacherous tall grass and return to his home (Lebowitz, 802). Here he also makes a comment on how he is “contributing something to the betterment of society” (Lebowitz, 802) by warning people of the tall grass, again demonstrating his caring. However, his planning to overcome the tall grass in this same strip is a more clear demonstration of his determination and cleverness, as he is most certainly eager to return home to his parents and he is determined to come up with a plan that permits him to do so.
About two hundred strips later, he executes one of his many plans. Using his Ultra Grimer Weed Spray, he sprayed the tall grass in an attempt to be rid of this horror so that he might return home. However, this spray ends up failing because it is “environmentally safe.” (Lebowitz, 1004) Regardless of the fact that it was a failure, the true meaning that should be derived from this is the Grass Kid’s cleverness and cunning in attempting to not only return home, but also to rid the world of the terrors of the tall grass.
Though he may not have been the most prevalent character in the series, the Grass Kid has certainly made his impact in the little time he had. After witnessing his caring and determination, the reader can only hope that he shall appear again, and maybe perhaps be reunited with his family once again. Because of his caring attitude as well as his sense of determination and cleverness, the Grass Kid will forever go down in Pebble Version history as a tremendous character, and he shall also forever be the favorite character of the forum member, Saber Knight.

Bibliography

Lebowitz, Josiah. Pebble Version: Where we “Gotta Catch ‘em All” or something like that… http://www.pebbleversion.com

...so I still haven't decided if this was a good idea or not, but WHATEVER. The beginning little thing was in accordance with what we had to do for my US paper, which was list the essay title, the subject of the class, the teacher's name, the room number and the due date. We weren't supposed to list our names, we put that on the back of the essay to avoid people thinking that it's biased because of the person, but I felt like ignoring that :P

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:13 pm 
Pokémon Master

My Entry:

"Xain, Supreme Master of Coolness"

By Metalheadz

Date: 3/8/2011

Copyright Josiah Lebowitz for making Pebble Version
Copyright Nintendo for Pokemon

While coming up with my favorite Pebble Version character, I sat down and took a little time to think for a moment. At first, I could tell that May, the equivalent Ruby and Sapphire canon female protagonist, was my favorite character. But no, she was only the first character coming to mind, and didn't really put too much thought into it. I went back into another thinking sequence, and zoned out a couple times, in deciding who did I like most from Josiah Lebowitz's Pebble Version. Finally, after reading one-thousand strips of Josiah's comic, I concluded that Xain, the Supreme Master of Coolness, is my favorite character in the whole comic.

What did I absolutely love about Xain? His overall personality and development throughout Pebble Version, of course! Josiah was very creative in making his own original rival antagonist for his comic, and I have to give him props for creating an original development, unlike most original Pokemon rivals like Paul and Gary. Xain, always referring to himself as the coolest person on Earth, displays awesome comic relief with his signature trait, a lack of sense of direction. Even his girlfriend in the comic, Cali, agrees and can rather be angry at him for getting lost so much. He's also very overconfident in his Pokemon journey, and thinks he is much better and cooler than protagonists Brendan and May. Ironicly, he isn't really at all, and is mainly a comical ego-centric rival of the story. My favorite strip featuring Xain had to be his debut appearance, "#65 Xain, The Supreme Master of Coolness", where he boasted and bragged about how cool he is in front of Brendan and May. I laughed so hard when Brendan said "Your fly is open" which obviously proves what level of coolness Xain is really on. Although his character is rather comical, Xain is a funny and terrific rival designed and developed by Josiah in Pebble Version.

Xain also happens to remind me of some people I know in real life. I can look at Xain and think "wait, he acts just like some football jockie I know at school!" and laugh. Overall, the traits I love about Xain is his poor sense of direction, his ego on how cool he thinks he is, but mostly his role as the rival antagonist of Josiah Lebowitz's Pebble Version. As I read deeper into Pebble Version, I hope to see even more of Xain getting lost so easily and doing something bragging about his coolness. But what do I want to see him above all doing? When the Pokemon league begins, he won't even be able to find his way into the arena.

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:01 am 
Gym Leader

Had something planned, time slipped away, might as well put the half hatched thing up as it leaks from my head.

Phonox's Entry: The Most Important Character of All Time

Warning: Phonox's Entry is a largely untested drug. Do not take Phonox's Entry if you are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant within twenty years. Do not take Phonox's Entry with alcohol or next to an open flame, as Phonox's Entry is highly flammable and may cause spontaneous combustion of the patient if exposed to direct sunlight for more than 3 minutes. You should not take Phonox's Entry if you have a liver disease, suffer from high blood pressure, or live in any state/province starting with the letters M-Q, excluding Nebraska. Side effects may include: Depression, Severe Depression, Manic Depression, Homicidal Tendencies, Sudden Mustaches, and an Irrational Infatuation with Nick Cage . If you experience thoughts of suicide, homicide, or kidnapping of the Queen's corgis and holding them hostage until she marries and then abdicates the throne to Cameron Poe, please see your licensed podiatrist immediately.

When deciding your favorite character in a work, some may argue that it is easy to simply look at the main character and state that they are indeed the best character in the work. This occurs because in today's society to come out and simply affirm your belief that the main character in a literary work is in fact the best character is taboo and almost unheard of. Instead, they look to the side characters, the ones who may have the potential to become a main character, and try to distort their one dimensional persona into a complex enigma. With this societal norm in mind, they are quick to name side characters- Brendan, May, Cali, and Xain- rather than recognize the true protagonist of the work, one who is essential to the overall understanding and enjoyment of Pebble Version, the one known simply as Mr.

Making his first official appearance in Unfortunate Timing (Lebowitz, 405), Mr.'s face is never shown. While some may call this the characteristic of an unimportant character, one must also consider the impact this has on his overall actions. In his first official appearance, Mr was revealed to be the one who had started the entire Grass Kid fiasco. If he had not planted the tall grass at that exact moment, there would be no Grass Kid to warn the blissfully ignorant townsfolk of tall grass, and there would be no "trademark cry of 'Beware the grass!' (Lebowitz, 6)" (Saber, 7929). With no Grass Kid, the town be unaware of the beasts that lurk in the tall grass until it is too late. The first victim would be a young child, age 4, who would find her innocent game of "hide and go seek" into a blood chilling game of "hide and oh god where did my arm go." The attacks would continue and increase in frequency, as the beasts became more daring and start to show up in short grass, flower beds, and your bedroom floor. Now, envision what I have just described. Would you move to a place were monsters spontaneously spawn in your bedroom while you are lying on your bed - fetal position- crying like a prepubescent child? If not, why would Brendan? (If so, what is wrong with you? I can go on a whole 'nother rant about something like that, but I'm barely keeping this coherent as it is.) In this regard, Mr. is essentially responsible for the safety and wellbeing of an entire town, as well as the reason that this story can be told in the first place.

Another appealing aspect of Mr. is the aire of mystery he gives off. While he has been addressed as Mr, one must wonder what his true name is. As Tom Petty once said, "Take my hand, Baby I want to be your Mystery Man." Take Mr.'s hand we shall, and follow him into the world of possibilities. How is Mr. related to the Grass Kid? Could he be a long lost brother, who had been thought to have passed away in a tofu accident? Could he be an evil twin seeking to trap Grass Kid in Littleroot to steal his family's fortune and inherit the throne to lead Team Aqua and Magma in a corporate merger with Team Galactic and Rocket? Or could he perhaps be the amazing author who will award me many points for this compliment Josiah's self insert, a guiding hand to push the story in the direction it has gone in and ensure the healthy maturation of all parties involved? No matter which is true, one can be certain that Mr. played an vital role in the work.

Although he is unarguably the best character ever to have been thought up in the minds of mortals - it has been claimed that the idea of Mr. was devised out of the minds of the muses and Freddie Mercury's voice, sent to Josiah in his sleep on the wings of a thousand angels, it's caravan forged by Hephaestus Hammer and Chuck Norris' chinfist - and the most pivotal character in the entire history of literary works, some fail to grasp Mr.'s perfection. Due to this fact and Phonox's understanding of his genius, the one known as Mr. is the one and only favorite PV - and of all space and time- character, and shall forever be forcefully engraved in the minds of PVF members everywhere.

End.

Bibliography: (Forget MLA Format, I'm too tired)

Lebowitz, Josiah. Pebble Version: Where we “Gotta Catch ‘em All” or something like that. Web. 09 Mar. 2011. _______<http://www.pebbleversion.com/>.

Knight, Saber. Grass Kid: The Greatest Pebble Version Character. Web 09 Mar. 2011. <http://phpbb3.pebbleversion.com>

"MYSTERY MAN Lyrics TOM PETTY." Song Lyrics. Web. 09 Mar. 2011. <http://www.lyricsbay.com/mystery_man_lyrics-tom_petty.html>.

Oh wow, after I had written this entire mess and a quick synopsis, I highlighted the entire thing to copy but pressed space by accident. Good thing I had some of it set in preview. My ending is gone though.

Anyway, I really have no idea what I just typed up there, I just hope it's semi coherent. I'll find out in the morning.

Volgel(4):Magneduo- Gender: Male; Type: Electric, Flying; Abilities: Magnet Pull, Early Bird; Attacks: Tackle, Growl, Thundershock, Pursuit
Schwann(4):Bronzling- Gender: Female; Type: Steel, Psychic; Abilities: Levitate, Heatproof; Attacks: Wrap, Confusion, Growl, Hypnosis
Swapi (4):Larxy- Gender: Female; Type: Normal, Flying; Abilities: Natural Cure, Serene Grace; Attacks: Peck, Charm, Sing, Fury Attack
Zutodile (4):Hydra(SDC) - Gender: Female; Type: Water, Poison; Abilities: Inner Focus, Torrent; Attacks: Leech Life, Scratch, Supersonic, Water gun
IC as of 6/7/09: 737

Signature site, how original!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:26 am 
Mew

FYI: Since Phonox mentioned accidentally deleting highlighted text... In most browers you can use Ctrl + z to undo your last action, which is perfect when you do something like that.

Anyway, this challenge is now over. Winners are:
First Prize: Phonox (missing ending or not, that is entry is utterly epic despite the potential side effects)
Second Prize: Saber
Third Prize: Metal

I have fun reading them and am looking forward to seeing your entries in the 3rd challenge, which I'll be posting momentarily...

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]