It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:44 pm 
Articuno

Well hello there everyone!

This is the offical ROM Secrets thread, I just got the idea from Josiah's ROM dex post

This post is for comic and RP use. if these is a serect pun or meaning in a monster name of chatacter name, monster attack or city name post it here. Its always more interesting when a name has deeper meaning.

Here are all mine to date to show you what I mean.

Sutra (AKA The Hacker):
A sutra is literally, "thread" or "string." A scripture containing the teachings of Buddha.
Sutra is the 'string' that holds Orca togther, and has teachings about Orca.

It also references to thread; literally the sacred thread that is worn by the twice-born; also the sacred thread of oral tradition that links back to the oldest roots of the faith. Meaning everthing started with Sutra.

The Sanskrit word sutra literally means "thread" but it also means an idea expressed as a concise, clear statement. The sutra texts, express a variety of world views. This references to Sutra's differnt view to Orca of that of thr gamers.

It also is a refernace to my interest in the religion itself, as I have a foundness for Yoga and its refence artwork

See, and you thought it was silly :)

Pyrogoth
The fire monster griffin, the name refences Pirogoth from megatokyo, a personal fav of mine

Shauni's red bobbles are also an ode tp Pirogoth.

Omega was named as it resonemled the symbol in mathamatics (being a serpent)

"Hail to_____" attack from Pirogoth changes dependant on who I wish to hail at that mometn, so far its been ukyo from Ranma 1/2, Marilyn Monroe and The series of books called 'Tales of Redwall"

More to come soon!

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:48 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

((Also, sutra may be referring to the fact that the entire ROM universe started on a forum board, or a 'thread'. Also, I don't know if this is intentional, but Onett is also the name of Ness's city from earthbound.

Also also, 'The Guard', as many people know, is probably referring to the redwall book 'The Long Patrol' because, well, come on. They said, 'For Redwall' for pete's sake. And they sorta acted like the long patrol....yeah.

Another thing, but this time only I would know it. In real life, Silver says 'Holy fudge crackers!' ALL THE BLASTED TIME. It get's on some peoples nerves, sometimes. So, it is not a term invented to support the in-rp silver, iot's an ACTUAL line that he ACTUALLY sais constantly.))

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:59 am 
Articuno

Quote:
Also also, 'The Guard', as many people know, is probably referring to the redwall book 'The Long Patrol' because, well, come on. They said, 'For Redwall' for pete's sake. And they sorta acted like the long patrol....yeah.

WOW
O.O
I never thought anyone would get that referance....even when I said 'for redwall'. Your pretty sharp there Murray. I love the Redwall books so much.

You may find lots of hidden references like this one if ou know what to look for ^_^

As for fudge crackers I figured Silver would say something like that in real life :applaud:

Onett was named by Josiah, not me, but i did find out by playing Super Smash Bros Melee where he got it from.

As for Sutra's name refering to the comic coming from a forum thread. That wasn't intentianl....but I wish it was.

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:00 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Thanks for the compliment. You see, at first when it said 'Silver' I thought it was a coincidence, but once Silver uttered the words 'Holy fudge crackers!' I knew that it was the real Silver. Yeah....I think I just infered, plus I read some of the trophies, and I think Ness's trophy sais he comes from Onett.

Yeah, I didn't think it was intentional, but I thought it was kind of funny.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:30 pm 
Mew

Wait... I'm pretty sure I wasn't the one who named Onett. Wasn't it Jeff? Anyone feel like digging through the first ROM to find out?

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:47 am 
Articuno

The village was not named in the first ROM RP, it was early in the second one. Someone just said something along the lines
"Lets go to Onett and see shauni" or something

I liked the name so didn't change it =P

Go to ROM the Comic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:34 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

uh, thanks for the shoutout Shauni. Didn't know I was going to be famous already. heh. Also, I was just wondering....muggles. Muggles aren't referencing to the harry potter muggles are they? I mean, other than the name, they have nothing in common, but I was wondering the origin of that name.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:22 am 
Articuno

Actually it refers to Moggles from FF.

Go to ROM the Comic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:13 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

You mean those little white things with the white thingys on their heads? I love those guys!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:51 am 
Articuno

Yep, those guys ^_^

They look nothing like em though :lol:

Go to ROM the Comic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:48 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Quote:
You see, at first when it said 'Silver' I thought it was a coincidence, but once Silver uttered the words 'Holy fudge crackers!' I knew that it was the real Silver.

Ya know, Stevnson, I told you to read the ROM Comic for a reason. He posted about Pebble Version on our guild board, and I'm all, 'You should check out ROM!' And yes, Silver says 'Holy Fudge Crackers!' in the Roleplay frequently.

And now, for my one-and-only real secret. I know it won't appear in the comic for a long, long time, if it does at all, but... Silver's monster, Frozen Taranchula, is a reference to homestarrunner.com. Well, the name is. In the Strong Bad e-mail 'band names,' Strong Bad suggests taking a cool word and spelling it wrong... among his suggestions were 'Limozeen' (Which now appears in Strong Bad's e-mails often), Bigg Nife, and Taranchula. I'm horrible with names (Monster names at least...), so I stole one from Strong Bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:57 pm 
Pokémon Master

Is Chobi the child form of Ying Yang? Because the two chobis are actually one monster (it says in the beastory) and also it's a light/dark monster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:47 pm 
Articuno

Doodleshark wrote:
Is Chobi the child form of Ying Yang? Because the two chobis are actually one monster (it says in the beastory) and also it's a light/dark monster.

How the heck did I miss this question for so long?! Anyway, yes, Chobi is the child form of Yin Yang. Wesper is the teen form of Omega.

Go to ROM the Comic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:14 pm 
Gym Leader

Onett is the first town of Earthbound btw, so whoever invented it must have felt Nessy.