It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 am 
Articuno

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>ROM: Quests
The Development Thread</span>

ROM 4 is not finished yet so some aspects of this idea can't be finalised, but we can get the way battles and quests are going to be handled finalised so the RP mods know what there doing.

There will be a character status thread with character names, items, monsters and moves on that can be posted at the beginning of a quest that will be on a separate thread.

Monster Battles can take place in Josiah's arena between RPs on a new thread

Quests will be posted on a notice board which will be a thread marked 'Quest: bla bla bla'

You pick up money and items in battle and on quests and can sell them at a shop which to will have its own thread.

Collective monster states will have there own thread. New monsters can be made up but theirs stats will be decided by a mod. Monsters will evolve based on how many battles they need to win.

I.E
Beat 8 baby monsters to evolve
Beat 5 teen monsters to evolve
beat 3 Adult monster to evolve
Beat 1 nova monster to evolve

As for battle, in the past someone just agreed to concede in battle, but in ROM: Quests a moderator will decide who wins and if you dodge and the action of NPC monsters.
Monsters will have a level, Baby, Teen, Adult and in rare cases Nova. Each battle getting more difficult based on the level of monster.

There will be attack points, defence points and speed points, and each monster move will have PP
New moves can be learned threw Power orb items or by evolving a monster.

Spell cards can be used like items in pokemon
Battles then follow like pokemon until hit points of one of the monsters is 0 or the challenger concedes

Bars and inns will be available for chatting between quests and fights for character development. The quests are character driven but many of them will follow on from each other.

The current ROM RPs will be recorded history, either resent of ancient dependent on when we decided to set the ROM: Quests

NPC will be played by a Mod only, You can have up to three playable characters. Every character starts off with a baby monster. You can chose and existing one or submit a new on to the moderating team.

This system is based on the Battle Arena from New World Forum but is in no way a direct rip of, the battle system is completely different and method of play will be different

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:35 pm 
Mew

I'm kinda in a hurry but for now here's a couple of my initial thoughts.

1. I'd prefer that moves don't have PP.

2. Nova monsters are actually getting fairly common in the ROM world right now. Although they usually seem to evolve because of the circumstances, not just getting enough experience (although that's needed too).

3. Battles could take a long time if we moderate every attack...

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:43 am 
Articuno

Okay, we will work on these rules, but we cant really let the battles play out as they are now, or the players wont feel like there playing a game.

We need to work on the battle arena

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:26 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

And uh, I really don't like the idea of 'speed' points' and 'attack points' and stuff like that. It should be obvious if one monster is stronger or faster or whatever than another, and it makes this seem like this is turning into Yu-Gi-Oh. Which is bad.

And there shouldn't be a set number of battles needed to evolve. Especially not to Nova level. Yes, they're all over the place in the RP, and that's why it's the last one. It shouldn't be treated like normal evolution. I think the evolution process in general should be done the same way it was in the original RP - they evolve whenever it's reasonable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:34 pm 
Gym Leader

Josiah wrote:
3. Battles could take a long time if we moderate every attack...

I feel that it is my duty to object to this statement.
Under the RP that this system is based on, it took around a week to do a 3v30 battle. The speed of the battles is directly proportional to the availability of everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:42 pm 
Blaziken

How about depending on the creature of the player, it has a certain amount of exp needed to lvl up and also the mods could determine when a creature should evolve and how much exp each npc creature give. Then the player should keep track of the total amound of exp they have on each creature.
Such as:
135/170
have/required
Also the lvl of the player's creature could affect how much exp they recieve depending on the npc. these are just suggestions.. :sweat:

ps: my question is would the adopt a ROM monsters be used in this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:04 pm 
Blaziken Level 100

*hanging around upside down from the ceiling rafters*

You guys have totally lost me. (That or I'm still recovering from that nasty illness I got earlier in the week...)

1) I am uncomfortable with the idea of exp, pp, hp, etc. but I can see the need for them. Simply put, we only apply stats to major battles like Boss battles or Player vs Player battles. That way, things will be fair and such power battles will move much faster.

2) Why not compromise with the "moderate every move" thing, as there are not enough Mods to go around (and I've been noticable AWOL these past few weeks due to work and real life conflict) I would suggest having a mod pick out who is going to win what battle or have a mod be in almost total charge of a/the plot... (I smell a debate that I don't want to be part of with that last statement)

3) Why not have something akin to the old Pokemon cartoons when the pokemon decides to evolve on its own? Perhaps a mix of an EXP meter and a vote among the RP mods will decide the evolutionary fate of a monster? (I'm gonna get tomatoed for that...)

4) Yes, Nova level monsters are going to be an issue. Let's make them extinct altogether, then. The Nova levels are as legendary as the God Level monsters by the timeframe of the Quests saga, and we'll need the presence of an uber powerful badguy in order for the Nova level beasts to get unlocked. Therefore, no Nova Level monsters until there is a definite antagonist or until certain conditions in New Orca are met.

I may add in a few more cents if I haven't been pelted with flames and spam by then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:46 pm 
Mew

Personally, I had thought we were going to run the quests kind of like regular ROM just with smaller missions instead of an epic storyline (with whatever mod created the current quest keeping a rein on the plot) and maybe some shops or something. While we certainly could switch over to the total RPG format, it would create a lot more work for the mods and there'd be tons of details to figure out...

Anyway, if we do end up going with the full on RPG experience here's some ideas... Moderating random battles would be a waste of time. I suppose we could do boss fights but it would make things a bit less dramatic. For PVP, perhaps each player could make one or two posts in the battle and then after that a mod would step in and (based on what had already happened) determin the winner then leave the people to continue their battle until the predetermined result was achieved.

In my opinion, it seems like if anything novas would be a bit more common in the quests storyline (since they seem to be getting more and more common in the ROM world as time goes on). Although, if I had to I could tie some stuff into the ending of ROM 4 that would make it nearly impossible for any new monsters to reach nova level.

Personally, I think it might be better (and it'd definately be easier) if we just stuck to the traditional ROM style with a few modifications. ROM was always more of a story RP than a RPG and it's worked good so far so I really see no reason to change it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:58 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Yes, RP = good, RPG = bad.

And I don't think it should be impossible to get novas... but think about it - the monsters in the new ROM aren't going to be fighting Moen or any other 00ber bad guy. That's got to do wonders for a monster experience-wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:46 pm 
Articuno

We do need to develop this more...lets take into consideration everything said...

Basicaly, what ever we decide, the orginal ROM system is prefered, but for an open type of RP that everyone can play...we do need to include some figures in the system...

Maybe just hit point then, or something....

Go to ROM the Comic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:28 pm 
Mew

Silver has a point about novas.

Having HP wouldn't be bad. I just don't think we's want to go over to a full stat based system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:11 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

In my opinion, we don't need any figures. Good roleplaying should negate the need for things like that.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:41 am 
Gym Leader

Silver wrote:
Yes, RP = good, RPG = bad.

*Twitch*
BLASPHEMY!
*Attack Silver*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:40 am 
Blaziken Level 100

We do need to accomodate the "not-so-good" Role-Players, Stevenson. Not all of them will regard any of the "godmoding" restrictions we've laid down in the ROM Series and there needs to be a boundary for all players to know when to stop. HP, Defense, and Move Strength and experiece points should be good enough, and none of this uber-complex battle systemness... Because if we tell a tale on the fly and keep track of our math and multiples at the same time...

Trust me. I've seen it. It's a disaster. Not everyone tell a tale and be a math whiz at the same time, kiddos.

I think EXP should be awarded by the presiding Event Mod via a judging system. A player (or players if this is a PvP battle) and their monsters get a lump sum of EXP based on the creativity of their battle posts, and a whole number of other factors that I'm too tired to type out... Then the player gets to distribute that lump sum of EXP among the Monsters that participated in the battle.

I just contradicted myself... didn't I?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:23 pm 
Mew

Intersting idea...

Hmm... Perhaps if we did have stats but just used them to get a general idea of a monster's power instead of actually crunching the numbers for each attack...