It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:48 am 
Mew

Ok, since we've got several of these threads now I figured one more wouldn't hurt. Plus lots of foreign countries seem to have some pretty big misconceptions about the US. So yeah, ask away.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

Last edited by Josiah on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:38 am 
Articuno

Okay, here is a question. I’ve seen it on America shows, you guys have ‘garage sales’ like on toy story two were you sell your stuff on your lawn, but here in the UK we have ‘boot sales’. These are when groups get together at a set location and sell all of there stuff like you do at garage sales, but they do it on little stalls, or like the name implies, from the boot (trunk) of there cars.

Is there anything like that in the USA? I’m not talking about professional sales, I mean my Jo average getting rid of his unwanted culture all meeting up at one place, like a market place when the market is not open, or a school playing field on a Sunday.

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:14 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

I've seen something like that before... As a matter of fact, one person was selling off their old Pokemon cards, which is why I remember it XD. However, it was a church fundraiser. You put all your old junk out there, you gave a fraction of the proceeds to the church in exchange for using their land and publicity. I'm not sure about a bunch of people just randomly getting together and selling their stuff, though, if that's what it's like in England.

Last edited by Silver on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:37 pm 
Random Trainer

*is stabbed many times prematurely* Have you ever heard of a canadian show called Talking To Americans? I'm pretty sure a lot of the ideas that canadians get of americans are caused (or at least helped along) by that show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:38 am 
Mew

shauni wrote:
Is there anything like that in the USA? I’m not talking about professional sales, I mean my Jo average getting rid of his unwanted culture all meeting up at one place, like a market place when the market is not open, or a school playing field on a Sunday.

Like Silver was talking about, occasionally churces or other groups will sponser large group yard sales as fund raisers. Also, sometimes a bunch of neighbors might team up and have one massive yard sale instead of several small ones. But most of the time people just have individual yard sales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:55 pm 
Gym Leader

Not exactly about the USA but can you eat bacon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:02 pm 
Pokémon Master

bacon is from pig. pig is not kosher. so therefor, no. no bacon

"Dobby never meant to kill, only to...maim. Or seriously injure."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:07 pm 
Gym Leader

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! How can this be?!?

Why can't Josiah taste all the crispy goodness of bacon in all of it's glory?!?
POR QUEEEEEEEE?!?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:20 pm 
Mew

<.< Over reacting much? I get along just find without eating pig fat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 am 
Gym Leader

Uhh bit late on this, but yes, I've seen community yard sales where everyone picks a date to sell at the same time, and sometimes in front of a specific landmark if not on their front yards. I've seen the church ones too, but I never find anything good there. I'm a yard sale kinda guy, I found my NES, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, and N64 in them, and I'm waiting for PSX/1 and 2's to become oldschool enough to sell (as Gamecube already has).

Bacon rocks. It's not really fat, that's pork rinds actually. Bacon is thinly sliced ham from I believe close to the rib cage. It is not a chunk of meat either. That's "Canadian Bacon" otherwise known as Ham. Or so everyone I know claims.

Swalectrode (Electric, Poison) Attacks: Yawn, Tackle, Sludge, Screech (Wins 5, Losses 0) Exp:30 Static&Liquid Ooze Status: Lost T.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:20 pm 
Pokémon Master

Stop telling me where what part of the pig we get the bacon from. I'm starting to get sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:48 pm 
Blaziken Level 100

Isn't bacon under the skin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:25 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Do you guys want me to change the topic name to 'The Official "Discuss what part of a pig bacon comes from" topic'? Because I will, if this downward spiral continues...

Hey, me, I have a question to get this back on track.

What is it, me?

Well, me, I want to know why we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway...

That's a very good question, me. You (I?) see, the term 'driveway' was coined back in the days of the horse-drawn carriage when you would drop passengers off, then continue driving to the horse stable. The 'park' in parkway is because the idea was to make it easy to navigate, like driving through a park.

Wow! Thanks, me! You're so smart and amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:03 am 
Pokémon Master

Does anyone here think that Brittney Spears should be shot, or at least be taken out of the spot light for a little while so she won't clog the airwaves and give us worthless news and gossop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:11 am 
Blaziken Level 100

I wish a ninja wish a shotgun killed her, sticking it to her :)