It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 am 
Mew

I don't know what colleges you're shooting for, but most of the ones I looked into cared more about SAT / ACT scores than GPA. But anyway, good luck raising it!

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:40 am 
Pokémon Master

(This rant refers to the same person from one of my previous rants.)

I’m really ticked off about this so much I decided to use a proxy at school just to rant this… I thought you guys would understand most, because I know a lot of you are very dedicated towards schoolwork, just like I am… I felt I’d rather rant on it here than Facebook or G+. Also, I’m sure we all know somebody like this too. Please don’t take this the wrong way, anyone.

BUT… My friend who gets all this dumb luck from I don’t know where doesn’t give two craps about his school work. Today he just got invited to the National English Honor Society. Ironically, he has a suffering C- in the class right now, and did just as good as I did last (Sophomore year with a B). Now here he is, bragging about his achievement and how great he is, and bragging about his opportunities to receive hundreds of scholarships. I’m like “Yeah, good for you…” And yes, deep inside I’m really jealous. I really hate to admit it and I don’t want to be jealous, but I hate how lady luck loves him.

Why else do I say he gets so much luck? 1, he’s one of four people in my entire grade who scored a 5 on the AP World History Exam. He’s been suffering that whole school year with a low C, yet somehow he got a perfect score. (To answer your question, Josiah, he really isn’t very smart.) 2, he was able to maintain an A in chemistry and various other classes because he cheated on half of the worksheets off his friends. 3, he also wins a handful of contests at school that I don’t even know how it happens. There are other achievements in academics he achieved that make him look superior than the other kids in my class who are much smarter and are more deserving of these awards than him. Honestly, I think he’s really as smart as I am, but between the two of us it seems like God has chosen me to do the hard work while he gets his success on a silver platter.

But to tell you the truth, I really have no right to judge him… I could say more, but I won’t. Don't get me wrong, he's a good friend of mine and he doesn't mean to put anybody down. He's just really happy for such an award, which is what I should be for him, but I'm not due to my typical human selfishness... As much as I did want to say something, I know it’ll only hurt his feelings and my friends will disrespect me for doing so, so that's why I ranted here. Just the fact he brags about his achievements makes me really jealous. I hate being envious, because it makes me feel selfish and angry, when there really is no reason to. Sometimes I do fail to realize how lucky I am, too, but I see nothing I can do except move on and keep studying…

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 am 
Mew

I know how you feel. There's some people I know-of (mostly not ones I know in-person) who get these great opportunties in writing or game design even though their skills and/or work ethic just isn't up to to par. It can be extremely annoying and/or frustrating. Unfortunately, I can't really say more than "that's life". Just try to focus on all the good things about your own life, rather than on how lucky the other guy is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:11 pm 
Mew

Double posting but my last post was a reply, not a rant, so yeah...

Anyway, today got off to a rather lousy start and just kept getting worse. First, I woke up late. Not a diaster since I don't need to actually go in to work on Fridays, but it ate up some time I really could have used for other things. Then, an item I'd listed on ebay sold so I went to mail it. Upon returning, I was going to leave feedback for the guy when a glitch with ebay made it look like he had scammed me and not acutally paid so I ran back to the post office and managed to get my package back (though not what I spent on postage). Once I get back, ebay was working properly again and it turned out that the guy was legit after all. Going back to the same post office would be pretty embarressing plus I did have a couple errands that I could do so I ended up driving into Gainesville and taking care of all that. After getting back I finally got back to work on the online store for Pen and Sword games. Everything was going great...right up until I tried a test purchase. For some reason you can't create an account or checkout without getting a file not found error and I have no idea why. So I didn't get the store done and will probably have to spend a lot of tomorrow night and possibly Sunday as well trying to fix it. So yeah, not a great day but it wouldn't have been that bad if not for the next part.

Since I'd been running around and working all day, I hadn't had time to cook anything so I decided to quit a little early and go to a nearby restaurant before the sun went down (for religious reasons, I don't shop or go out to eat on Shabbat which goes from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday). So I get in my car for the several minute drive to the restaurant. When I'm nearly there, I get pulled over by a police car. Now I'm a really careful driver and have never gotten pulled over before. They claim I ran a stop sign. Now I don't run stop signs but at times I may slow down to almost a stop and then go through without completely stopping. I might have done that this time. Things is, they followed me for a couple minutes past the sign before pulling me over at which point I can't remember if I fully stopped or not (possibly the reason they waited that long). Thing is, even if I didn't totally stop I definately slowed down to a near stop. Plus this was going 25 miles an hour on a little road with no other cars what so ever. Not the type of thing you give someone a ticket for unless you're trying to fill a quota. They even said they'd been sitting around watching for people to go through that sign (didn't mention a quota, but why else would they wait there). And, lucky me, I was the only person driving on that stupid road. Now I'm a good driver and have nothing at all on my record. I was also perfectly polite and cooperative. You'd think they could give me a warning but no, I get a ticket for over $150.

So I can either pay the fine and get points on my record, which could potentially raise my insurance rate, or I can go to driving school for several hours. That would let me avoid the points but it's a waste of several hours plus I'd still have to pay at least most of the fine and I'd have to pay to attend the course. Trying to contest the ticket would be a waste of time. There wasn't anyone else in the car so it'd be my word against two police women so there really isn't anything I can do. It would be one thing if I felt like I deserve the ticket but this is not the type of thing you get a ticket for, especially such an expensive on. So I'm pretty upset about it. What's worse is that I could have taken an alternate route which would have been about the same length and completely avoided their little "pull over anyone to fill our quota" trap.

And, just to make things a little bit worse. I had to stand around on the side of the road for 15 - 20 minutes before they gave me the bloody ticket so I didn't even get to go to the restaurant. So yeah, worst day I've had in quite some time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:46 am 
Gym Leader

So, last night then manager told me that aparently last week i was 'slacking off' and was making alot of mistakes. And I now have 'A week to fix it up'.

Seriously? Really?

Okay yes I was making quite a few mixtakes last weekend. I'm well aware of that. And it was pissing me off to all hell. I was tired, and stressed from uni/home situations. (And I believe I'd forgotten to take my medication which may have affected me). I was doing the best I could given the time and situtation. I was in no way slacking off.
What pisses me off the most is there was no bloody warning, and not only that the manage that said this hasn't come to talk to me, she's just told the next duty manager that i'm on with to tell me.
What the hell!?

So bringing up with the second problem. I brood of things. As in I seriously brood on things until I sort it out. And this could be any little thing that gone wrong.
The problem with my brooding is its in my head all the time, it prevents me from getting to sleep at night (which I already have trouble with) and then its just always there in my mide distacting me from what I'm ment to be doing. (Hence venting, trying to get it out of my system so i can have a couple days consentrating on my uni stuff which is what I'm meant to be doing).
So I'm going to go talk to my manager and hopefully ge the full story as I have a feeling other staff member have been complianing about me. And hopefully sort this all out. Because I do like it there and generally everysthing good. But now I'm debating on wether or not I should just quit. Because I really don't need this kind of distraction just as I'm starting Uni. Waitressing is okay as a job in-between, but I really don't want to do it for the rest of my life. So If work interfers with uni, I'm sorry but it has to go.

Am I over reacting? Also sorry for the bound to be ultiple grammer and spelling mistakes.

That spikes you when you pick it up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:21 pm 
Mew

I may have mentioned before that, while most college/university professors teach three or four courses a semester, at the place where I'm working it's expected that you'll do six (technically you can do five, but that actually requires you to spend more hours on campus, for no logical reason). And, for the record, I'm most certainly not getting paid more for the high course load. It's worse for me than a lot of the other professors, since many of my courses have never been taught before so I have to plan them out and make all the material for them (the online shell, assignments, PowerPoints, etc, etc, etc). This semester, I had three entirely new courses on my schedule and one that may as well be now because I'm rebuilding it from the ground up (the old version needed too much work to salvage). So yeah, all that ammounts to a ton of work which is why I've been spending just about all my spare time this week on class prep. Well, thanks to a lucky find, I discovered the textbook for the course I feel least comfortable teaching had a bunch of instructor only resources available with things like test banks, PowerPoints, and the like. That was a relief and a huge time saver (though going through all that stuff, finding what I needed, and converting to the right formats still took a lot of time). So at the start of the day I had three courses entirely ready to do (two I taught before and one based on the textbook I wrote) and one that was fairly far along thanks to those materials I found. The remaining two would require me to do everything from scratch but still, I was making really good progress. Then things went wrong...

One of the professors (a part timer, I think) had to suddenly quit due to health problems. My supervisor couldn't find any other part timers to cover her courses (and, to be fair, she really did try) so she dumped them on me (I had no real say). That brings up several problems. First off, scheduling. On the bright side, she arranged it so I don't have to spend any more hours lecturing per week. However, as a result some of my other classes will only be meeting once a week which means I've going to have to rush through a decent bit of material (annoying enough, they're the two courses that need that time the most). Then, of course, there's the big problem that I suddenly have two more courses to prepare on top of everything else. One is the computer applications course I taught multiple times in the past. So I can copy over my old material and probably get everything up and running with a few hours of work. The other course, though, is Spreadsheets. I've never taught it and I've got absolutely no material for it (other than the textbook). To make things worse, my Excel skills don't really extend past what was covered in Computer Applications, which means this course is probably going to be mostly stuff I don't know how to do. I tried pointing that out but was told that, since I have a master's degree, it should be easy. <.< And, of course, two more courses (both with a large number of students) means I'm going to have a lot more stuff to grade throughout the semester on top of various non teaching related duties I've been given.

On the somewhat bright side, the Spreadsheet book is by the same people as the Computer Applications one, which means it might tie into the same online system for tutorials and assignments. If that's the case, it'll help immensly and make that course workable (I can run it as a lab and kind of fake my way through). If that's not the case... Ugh, I don't even want to think about it. I also do get paid for the extra courses. Problem is the pay is based on the number of students and instead of using the number of students in the new courses, they use my two courses with the lowest enrollment, which means I'll only be getting a few hundred dollars at best (that's for the entire semester, not per month).

Add to that the lousy weather here (hot, muggy, and extremely rainy) and a $70 per month increase in my rent and this just hasn't been a good week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm 
Mew

Double post, but it's a thread revival for a mini rant.

I caught a couple of students cheating in one of my classes. I'm not entirely sure if they cheated of each other or copied answers from a web site or something, but either way their assignments were pretty much identical. And considering how inconsistant their style was from one problem to the next, I'm thinking the copied the answers off a web site or something. You'd think they'd consider that I might realize it when they turn in virtually identical assignments, at least for this type of class. Not only that, but the answers they used weren't even very good. Forgetting the cheating entirely, they both would have scored less than 50 points out of 100. I mean seriously, if you're going to cheat and get your answers from somewhere else, at least make sure they're correct. <.< The whole thing is sort of an epic fail when it comes to cheating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:01 am 
Pokémon Master

Zeroes for everyone!

My tunes :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:24 pm 
Pokémon Master

When I look back on this thread, I can see that overtime I am becoming less and less like Holden Caulfield - and that makes me incredibly happy.

My tunes :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:06 am 
Mew

I really hate it when students e-mail an hour before a project is due (usually midnight, the way I do things) asking for help with some problem. Do they really think I'm going to be awake, online, and keeping an eye on my work e-mail at that time? Plus, by their questions, half the time it's clear they haven't even started yet which means they wouldn't be able to finish the project on time even I did respond to them immediately. What is with people and waiting until the hour or two to start on projects? I was never like that in school. I didn't often do things the moment they were assigned, but I'd never wait till the last day, much less the last minute. -.-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:45 pm 
Blaziken

Josiah wrote:
I really hate it when students e-mail an hour before a project is due (usually midnight, the way I do things) asking for help with some problem. Do they really think I'm going to be awake, online, and keeping an eye on my work e-mail at that time? Plus, by their questions, half the time it's clear they haven't even started yet which means they wouldn't be able to finish the project on time even I did respond to them immediately. What is with people and waiting until the hour or two to start on projects? I was never like that in school. I didn't often do things the moment they were assigned, but I'd never wait till the last day, much less the last minute. -.-

Often, when students do things like that, it is mostly to try to get the teacher's sympathy. It's an act to try to make it look like they're working hard. When they don't complete their projects, they hope that their "efforts" would be noticed, and that the teacher would give them some extra time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:39 pm 
Mew

You know, I never thought of it that way (probably because it would never cross my mind to try that), but that makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 pm 
Mew

Reviving this for another short "life of a college professor" related rant. Naturally, I got a lot of e-mails from students asking me about assignments, making excuses for why they didn't get their work done on time, and the like. I'm really good at replying to e-mails, usually doing so as soon as I see it in my inbox. So generally, 24 hours or less during the week and one to two days on weekends. But, quite often, I get an e-mail, send a detailed reply, and then, a couple of days later, the student in question comes up to me after class and asks if I got their e-mail. Really people, I could see this if you just sent the e-mail an hour or two ago, but when we're talking a full day or more, you could spend a couple of minutes checking to see if I replied before coming up and asking me about it. If you're not going to do that, you shouldn't e-mail me at all, just ask the question in person from the beginning so I won't have to answer it twice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36