It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Otakon 2013
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:37 am 
Blaziken

I normally spend no more than one hour at the game room, and that hour can be at anytime.
Puzzle games are mainly where you'd find me... but they didn't have Panel de Pon last year so I don't know...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 am 
Mew

As far as game room stuff goes, the Smash Bros series are the only fighting games I'm particularly good at (at best, I'm so-so at Skull Girls, Melty Blood, and Marvel vs. Capcom), though if they have music games, that's a different story... Well, maybe. I'm horribly out of practice on some of them. Does Otakon have a room for non-video games? Munchkin is always a great way to pass some time.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:18 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

They do, or rather, part of the game room is a sectioned-off area with tables. I considered bringing a board game like BSG or Arkham Horror, but that probably takes too long. The tabled area is pretty much just used for trading card games. I wouldn't expect munchkin to make an appearance, but I've never really gone back there so who knows?

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:01 pm 
Blaziken

I think if you brought out Munchkin, you'd probably get a good group within a couple of minutes actually. I'd recommend bringing a set if you'd like to try.

As for the games, it's primarily fighters, puzzles, shooters, and rhythm. Fighters range from the popular fighters used for tournaments and some anime-based fighters (Naruto, Battle Stadium DON, etc.) Puzzles are a bit randomized, as well as rhythm outside of DDR. They had Project Diva there with the arcade controller last year. For the shooters, they have the popular FPS games and some shoot 'em ups.

And then over at the side of the room is where you'd find people playing Magic and Yu-gi-oh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:30 am 
Mew

Unfortunately, my Munchkin cards are all in Florida, so I won't be able to get them prior to the con. Though, if anyone else has a set I'd be up for game. I haven't been able to get a group together for ages... Actually, Munchkin, Pokémon battles, or some such might be good to have around if we have to wait in line for hours for concert tickets.

I used to be a pretty serious Yu-Gi-Oh player, but that was a few years back. Right now, most of my cards are packed somewhere and I'm willing to bet they've banned at least half the cards in my decks by now anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:21 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

I'll see if I can scare up my Munchkin deck. As for yu-gi-oh, I used to have a frogs deck so I could play at my local college, but that's about all. I am a pretty serious magic player, but my view is, I can play magic at my local comic store, why waste my time at Otakon doing it?

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:35 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Double post, but meh I want it seen.

This may serve as a rude awakening for Silver as well, haha, but I intend to attend the Hannafuda workshop at 9:00 AM on Friday, if you would like to join me.

Plans subject to change, of course.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:53 pm 
Mew

I need to take a closer look at the schedule but, seeing as I actually have a deck of Hanafuda cards (and no idea how to play), I might be up for it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:21 pm 
Mew

Double post, and all that... So, looking over the schedule here's some stuff that particularly interests me.

Friday
9:00 Hanafuda
1:45 TM Revolution Panel
5:00 Shinichiro Watanabe Autograph Session (maybe)
8:00 Mystery Anime Theater 3000

Saturday
2:30 Chiaki Ishikawa Panel
4:30 Chiaki Ishikawa Autograph Session

Sunday
Concert

The Saturday concert would be cool, but I doubt I can go to both concerts (not that they've announced any details yet) and Sunday's is my top choice by far. I'd kind of like to see Kaoru Kurasaki and Tsukasa Fushimi too...but I'm having trouble finding their sessions on the schedule.

There's a lot of other stuff that looks like fun, but the above are more or less my top priority picks. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions and checking out whatever the rest of you guys are going to be doing.

Side note, normally I wouldn't attend from sunset Friday - sunset Saturday...but I'm thinking I might make an exception just this once and go all weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Hey, going to a convention isn't work, and if it's not work it's rest, so the way I see it you're perfectly fine!

Anyway, Let's see...

I don't mind going to the Hanafuda panel; the idea itself isn't as much of a rude awakening as the one I'm sure to be receiving on Friday morning! I know how to play already, and between me and Colly, we've got two decks of cards, but I'm sure it'll still be fun.

The Final two episodes of OreImo are at 2 on Friday. Will probably be checking those out, even though I don't like where this series has been going ever since MC friendzoned best girl... in like episode six of season one... And after that there's a Tomokazu Seki autograph session at 5 which I'd like to stop by. Though he's got one on Saturday at 10 too, so either way's fine.

I'll probably join you for the MAT3K, actually. Nothing else really going on during that time slot and it sounds cool. I guess they're expecting a big turnout; it's going on live in a panel, and then they have a simulcast in one of the video rooms...

As expected, the premiere of the Wolf Children dub is Saturday at 7, same time as Steins;Gate was last year. Aaaand the Masquerade is at 8. Decisions, decisions... kinda leaning towards Wolf Children though, after how disappointing the skits (read: dances) were last year. But I could go either way. Or I guess watch Wolf Children and rush over to catch the end of the Masquerade.

But aside from that, I don't really see much Saturday that I definitely want to go to... The Tomokazu Seki Q&A at 1 probably.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'm missing the Sunday concert, and I don't care about doing anything else Sunday at all. I'll probably hang around in the dealer's room and/or the artist alley in the morning and spend most of the day waiting in line for the concert.

Also, the schedule will probably have small adjustments made at least once before the con. If there's anything you can't find, check back later on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:34 am 
Mew

Yeah, it's not work so I'm ok in that regard. And I don't have to buy anything or make people work (gotta remember to pick up some food ahead of time though). I do try to do mainly religious types things on Shabbat, but there is the rare exception and I think this will have to be one of those times for a number of reasons.

I wouldn't mind going to Oreimo (haven't seen any of the anime, but I'm currently reading the light novels), though it's over the TM Revolution panel and if I'm not going to see them in concert, I'd kind of like to go to that. As for the Tomokazu Seki autograph session (at least the Friday one), it's the same time as Watanabe's, who I like better. I'd join you for his Q&A session though.

I'd be up for either Wolf Children or the Masquerade, no real preference there. I'm not all that familiar with the anime and I've never been to a Masquerade so I have no real expectations, but either could be interesting.

Agreed on the Sunday concert. I'd skip anything and everything else for that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:51 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

So here's my opinion on the Masquerade thing...did it suck last year? Yes. Is it usually good? Yes. Would it have been a better idea to see Stein's;Gate last year? Definitely, since I have since seen the whole series and intend to purchase it. But...well, that's the thing. The anime still existed after the premier. The masquerade, for better or worse, begins and ends at Otakon. So that's why I'll probably be doing the Masquerade, for my part.

If it sucks this year though, screw it next year.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:43 pm 
Mew

My cousin is going to be coming along, though he has some plans of his own so we may or may not see him much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Yeah, Silver's too.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:29 pm 
Mew

They announced details on the concert admissions. Passes are being given out Friday and Saturday from 1 - 3. Naturally, I'm sure we'll want to line up way in advance, so we'll have to think about which day would be best. There're giving out a few more Sunday morning too, but not as many, so I'd rather not risk it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2