It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:49 pm 
Pokémon Master

I thought this would be an interesting topic to bring up now. Because Pebble Version is a website, and SOPA is targeting websites, I assume most of you know about this. If not, here's the link for some information about it. Though to go more in-depth, try this Wikipedia article.

The following is my opinion. This may go political at some point, so feel free argue it but don't take it personally in any way.:

Personally from what I've learned about the issue so far, the attack on copyright is going to fail. SOPA's not only targeting piracy, but it appears they want to attack liberty, too. The bill appears to be very sensitive, too, as multiple sites that host streaming and copyrighted information (Google, Wikipedia, Youtube, etc.) will all be censored under the conditions of this bill. While I do frown upon most acts of legitimate piracy (the copying of DVD's and CD's and claiming it as their own) I do think that there is a certain extent where it shouldn't be considered actual piracy. People use Youtube all the time, no? There should be limits, if there are not already, but they shouldn't completely ban the whole entire internet. I'm currently participating in numerous petitions and boycotts to persuade Congress to go against this bill. Some of my friends at school who learned of it today are, too, participating, only because we think that this act of censorship has a potential for abuse.

What's your take on this?

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:33 pm 
Random Trainer

(warning: below post is really just shooting my mouth off. Any facts I present may or may not be true - I'm pulling this stuff from my memory. I am a simpleton)

I feel the same way. Sure, I download some songs, but it's not like I sell the StarCraft 2 soundtrack... plus, it's already on YouTube (fire away if offended by my actions). Uh, wait... suddenly, I'm not liking my actions. Watching MLP FiM episodes free of charge, plus the fact that I've gotten ahold of the KOTOR2 soundtrack...

But censoring the entire internet is not the way to go - I mean, look at Friendship is Magic. Sure, episodes of the show are posted on YouTube to the dismay of Hasbro, but Lauren Faust is pretty pleased with the amount of attention it's receiving (isn't she?).

And so my bad argument ends.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

The thing about FMP is, it's really just one giant advertisement anyway. And normally, you have to pay to have advertisements put up on someone's website. Bronies are free advertisement for Hasbro, and Hasbro's a toy company. They make toys as their primary source of income. Because FIM caught on so well on the internet, their toys and merchandise are selling like hotcakes. The views for the show while it's actually airing are more than enough to keep it running, and everything else is just product placement. That's why they hardly ever have the videos taken down.

Anyways, the major problem with this bill, more than anything else, is that it's a U.S. thing. Canada hasn't signed anything. No European countries are giving consent for this. Australia had no say in the matter, and neither did anyone in Asia or South America or anywhere else. And yet this proposal affects everyone that uses the Internet - not just Americans. The U.S. doesn't own the Internet. There's absolutely no way this is legal from a global perspective, not to mention the blatant violation of the Constitution. I'm really not too worried that it's going to pass... Still, I've put my name on here to be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:51 pm 
Pokémon Legend

Piracy is a thing that, by a government standpoint, should be stopped. Sure, I do pick up the occassional illegal ROM and I rip some songs off of youtube, but if pirating were to stop, it would be understandable. However, SOPA will COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FAIL at what it's shooting for. The only thing that will result from it is the ability for the government to shut down websites without telling the owners why or a trial or anything.

Aside from messing with the good people, it will also totally miss pirates because it's really just too easy to get around this act... change the url to your website, and you're good. However, big companies can't really just change the name of their company and company website, so their stuck.

And also, why do they think they get the right to censor us just because it's the internet? I mean, it's our freaking first amendemnt that has to do with freedom of expression!

GAH PEOPLE ARE STUPID!

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 pm 
Pokémon Master

I guess you can say that about Lauren Faust. She's been a supporter of the Bronies for a while. IIRC, she went to the most recent Bronycon, no? If not, then she's definitely going to the next one. She's even rather surprised about the viral attention MLP has been getting, which could be part of the reason Hasbro hasn't taken action against Youtube videos yet.

The most common argument I see for this is China and the First Amendment to the Constitution. China is infamous for their censorship, most notably their Great Firewall. The way I see it is that America will be taking this step, too. I'll be happy if they remove ROM's from the market and fake DVD's for good but I know they'll go further than that. The internet is one of those havens where one can post (almost) whatever they desire, that's why we have Facebook, Myspace, let alone Pebble Version. Only they won't be destroying piracy alone, they'll be disrupting American liberty and our freedom of speech. I would sign the same petition Silver wrote his name on. In fact, I signed it way before he did. If any of you are strongly against the bill, it's an easy and safe way to show your act of protesting.

Trophy Case:

Last edited by Metalheadz on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:40 pm 
Pokémon Legend

So, I don't know if you guys use KhanAcadamey (that website is how I review for all my chem and calc tests, I'd advise it if you haven't alreadty hit it up), but Sal made a video about SOPA. It's informative. And awesome. Because Sal is awesome.

Anyway, here's the link.

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

Last edited by Saber Knight on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 am 
Mew

If you read my PV news post about piracy a little over a week back, you know that I've very against piracy. That said, SOPA goes way too far and can easily be used to block a lot of legitimate sites and make it very hard to those sites' owners to appeal. And, with so many of the big pirated media groups being based overseas, it's hard to say if it would even do much good. So yeah, piracy is getting to be a real problem, especially when it comes to anime and indie games, but SOPA and PIPA (the other similar law) are the wrong way to deal with it.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm 
Pokémon Master

Some good news:

You may have already known about the blackouts from particular websites from yesterday. They were a great success in persuasion of several Congressmen. Victory yet? We can hopefully look forward to it. Check it out!

Trophy Case:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]