It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:08 am 
Random Trainer

Yes I need some. I've been looking into colleges lately and I really want to go into Animation,but my parents seem to not care about it at all. The other day we had a college come and talk to us about art and I was really interested,but when I went home and told my parents where it was they didn't even want to hear about it. Its only 3 hours away from our house. They seem to want me to go to a college they want to choose,but I want to go to the one I choose. I know price comes into hand,but a lot of the places I have brought up and cheaper then the ones they have. What could I do?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ArtOfHeartStudio Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArtOfHeartStudi

DeviantART: http://kako-cakes.deviantart.com/ Official Website: http://www.artofheartstudio.wix.com/art ... lifeareone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:35 am 
Pokémon Master

Hmm... Animation, eh? I'm not very good when it comes to finding colleges, but he's what I have to say. Well, Kako, what I would first show my parents if I had a love for anime and art, I would first show them I have a passion for art. Not just any kind of passion, but I want to make this choice the career of my entire life. It works like marriage, you know. Often, if a parent doesn't like a fiance of the groom/bride, he or she will need to show his parents how much love they have for the other, and eventually the parents will realize their son or daughter loves this person so much, and they will allow the couple to get married. Well, I'm not sure how much you love art, but it's something your parents would want to see. Also, Kako, have you perhaps convinced them that these colleges are much cheaper than the ones they recommended? It will help persuade your parents. But just keep in mind, show them your passion and love for art, and they will see what you want to do for the rest of your happy life.

This is all I have to say. ^^ Feel free, anyone, to help out.

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:22 pm 
Mew

I'd like to point out that animation these days requires as much if not more computer work than traditional drawing and quite a lot of places these days outsource their traditional animation work overseas. To be perfectly honest, if you want a job that primarily involves drawing you might be better off looking into things like illustration or concept art. Not to discourage you, there's still some good animation studios left in the US (though there's still a lot of computer work involved), but it's something you should keep in mind.

Anyway... What you should do is talk to them (in a calm, polite, and understanding way), ask them what it is they want you to study and get out of college while also explaining your own hopes and dreams and see if you can come to some sort of agreement. But in the end it's their money so, unless you're willing to forgo their help and pay for college on your own, there's not much you can do other than what I already said.

I should also warn you that all art and animation schools are not created equal. If you're going to go a highly specialized field like animation, don't choose a school based on things like price or location as you could easily end up with a mediocre education and few if any job prospects. Instead, do a lot of research into which animation schools are best and then, and only then, start comparing things like price, location, and the like.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:08 pm 
Pokémon Master

Thought about the girl a little bit more and this week I've become more of a friend, but a few things are stopping me from making a move.

1) My parents. They do not know that I have a facebook account and if they did they’d either make me give them my username + password so they could monitor my stuff, or make me delete it. I have personal info in my messages that I’d like to keep private from them... in this state, my mom would highly disapprove of me dating atm, but my dad would encourage it. Even if I wasn’t allowed, I would still go out with her mind you.

2) Her parents. Even if she likes me, her parents could decide they don’t want her dating. Nothing I can do about that, but if she likes me but can’t date we’ll still be more than friends.

3) The date. How do I do it? xD I dunno what I would do or talk about, I’m not a conversational person, I don’t know what kind of date we’d go on, how I’d get away from my parents. I dunno how I’d get away with it.

I'm probably overthinking this, but I don't want to ask her out only to be unable to date her.

My tunes :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:21 pm 
Pokémon Master

Since I don't really give relationship help (due to personal reasons) I'll tell you as much as I can, Cheez.

Keeping a secret relationship isn't a bad idea, as long as you don't do anything your parents wouldn't want you to do. Having sex, innapropriate touching, going out very late and night... Yeah, Cheez, knowing you, you probably won't do that, but just my heads-up. Sometimes, if they do wanna go onto your Facebook, just keep the relationship secret by keeping the status as "single." Also, if both y'all's parents don't like you or her, well... I don't have a say on that. But when I used to have a girlfriend, I'd usually bring her to the movies or some decent restaurant. Normally, I'd bring a friend with me so I don't get tempted to, well, you know... :sweat: It'll come to you, an idea, and even some people on PVF like Silver have had the same experience.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:41 pm 
Gym Leader

Parent's huh, we'll I suppose it depends on what both yours and her parents are like. My mum for example didn't really care all that much as long as she knew where I was going and how long I'd be gone (not that I ever went on a date before I was 17 mind you). My dad on the other hand insisted that I have a chaperone until I was 16, turned out they didn't need to worry about it, he's also one of those parents that like being asked permission to go out with their son/daughter sort of thing.
1, So if it's facebook, like metal said just keep the status at single and don't tell your parents about it unless they ask, and if they ask, well what you tell them is up to you. The world doesn't revolve around facebook, I rarely go on my account and when I do it's normally because I have 10+ emails from facebook and I wanna know why I have so many. If that's what your parents are in regards to dating try talk to you're dad first, or tell them at the same time.
2, Let her deal with her parents, or ask her what they like or if they approve of her dating, you can still be 'going out' without actually going anywhere. Maybe go meet her parents yourself if you feel like it.
3, First date ka? My advice, go see a movie, you get to spend time with her and you wont have to worry about finding stuff to talk about because you'll be watching the movie. If you need to talk about something before the movie actually starts try asking her what other movies she's seen recently or what else she's interested in seeing. Then afterwards if you've got time and want to go have something to eat somewhere, now you've just seen a movie, talk about it, it probably wont last the whole time you're eating, but it gives you something to start with, also don't try to force the conversation, chances are she might be as nervous as you if she hasn't been on many dates either. Conversations just happen and sometimes its nice to not talk about anything. Also if you have food, waiting to eat, eat it, let her eat, like i said don't try to force the conversation, there's times to talk and times to eat, don't let food get cold.

Edit; Oh and if you don't want her's or your parents would about the adult stuff then go out in the day/afternoon. It's surprising how much reassured parents get when you're going out during the day then at night.

That spikes you when you pick it up

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

I would advise against the secret relationship thing. It is a bad idea. I've never been in that situation, sure, but... if you're worried about your parents not letting you date, keeping something behind their back would definitely not be smart. What happens if they find out? Bad things. Very bad things. If your parents just violently oppose you dating anyone and think you should stay single for the rest of your life, well, then I'd say to screw them and do what you want. If it's about your age, then just don't make it... official. You can still be "Best friends" and "Hang out" and all that. Keep her close, and when your parents agree that you're ready, then go for it.

If it's because they want to know who you're dating first... then you have a little problem. Introducing them to your parents... is something so horribly awkward that it can bring grown men to their knees in shame. For everyone involved, no exceptions. Even your parents will feel how awkward it is. If you stage a formal meeting, I mean. If you can, try to get them to coincidentally meet... before you start anything. Like, I met Colly's mother at her birthday party before we were together. Therefore the first impression was not, "This is an EVIL boy who will defile my baby!" but more like, "Little Colly has a new friend!" It's easier for it to be someone they've already met, even if it was just briefly, and then say, "yeah we're going out now." Parents like that. Familiarity. Stability. They'd be more likely to approve of your choice if they weren't analyzing her as a future wife candidate from the start, but just saw her as one of your friends.

That all applies to both sides of course, your parents and hers. You might have to be patient too if her parents think she's too young, and you might have to do some pre-date sucking up before her parents approve. Through out all that stuff, just stay in good communication with her about it. Misunderstandings suck.

As for the date itself... Kaida offers very, very good advice. Going to see a movie pretty much guarantees you something to talk about after it's done. I went to see Dragon Ball Evolution for my first date, and we certainly had a lot to say about that one... just make sure you watch something she's interested in. I got lucky with Colly and have not yet had to sit through a chick flick, but it's just something you must be willing to do if you want girls to like you. Something about "respecting their opinions" or whatever.

If a movie's not a good option, common interests are the next best. If you both like bowling, go to a bowling alley. If you both like video games, go to an arcade. Those are easy ways to get closer. And you can always ask her. Communication is a pretty important part of relationships, you know? Talking to her about where she'd want to go on a hypothetical date is a hard question to ask, but you may get some useful ideas from it. Or you might get, "Oh, I don't know, I'm fine with anything," which is a terrible answer for a question like that. Of course she knows where she'd want to go on a date. And of course she's not fine with anything. You gonna take her to the compost pile? No. She wouldn't be fine with that. God, answers like that are so stupid.

But yeah. I don't know exactly what your parents are like, but the first step would be to convince them, and if that fails you go behind their back. And if you do have problems in that area, tell her. Be sure to explain everything as best you can. Honesty is important.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:16 am 
Mew

Definately agree with Silver on the whole honesty thing. Going behind your parents' back is generally a very bad idea since, once they find out, it'll just make them trust you less.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:53 pm 
Pokémon Master

Thanks guys.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:46 pm 
Pokémon Master

Silver wrote:
I would advise against the secret relationship thing. It is a bad idea. I've never been in that situation, sure, but... if you're worried about your parents not letting you date, keeping something behind their back would definitely not be smart. If it's about your age, then just don't make it... official.

I think it might be about my age, but I don't see why it should be. I think I'm very mature, or at least I act so around my parents. Good grades, never get in any trouble... so I don't think trust should be an issue. My dad encourages me dating while my mom will go to any means to prevent it.

Silver wrote:
I went to see Dragon Ball Evolution for my first date,
I wish.

Silver wrote:
But yeah. I don't know exactly what your parents are like, but the first step would be to convince them, and if that fails you go behind their back. And if you do have problems in that area, tell her. Be sure to explain everything as best you can. Honesty is important.
Yessir, Silver. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:30 pm 
Pokémon Master

METALHEADZ'S HELP CENTER SPECIAL: The Meaning of Friendship

Hello, every fellow member of Josiah's Pebble Version Forums. This is a special article by yours truly, for today, since without a doubt I knew I had to carry out this word at the right time. I've lost a friend whom I've known for pretty long just today, and I'm here right now to tell you all of some words of my own wisdom so none of you will make the same mistakes I did. I don't consider this post to gain popularity nor try to attract followers, but this is a message to all of those in need of a true friend. Saber, Doodle, and BFC, I've realized that I haven't gotten along with you as White_Samurai, but after lurking around I've read some of your posts, and whether you need it or not, here is my advice for you and everyone with the same problem.

Ask yourself a question, how many friends do you have? Are these friends best friends, or only slight acquaintances? That's up for you to decide, but there is a big difference between a friend, and a true friend. Now ask yourself, how many friends have you lost and how many are close to you? We have all lost friends in our life time, but those we have lost were probably not our friends to begin with. In everyone's case, regular friends will come and go, but true friendship is what keeps one of the greatest of bonds close together. You're probably thinking you have hundreds of friends, but how many exactly are you very passionate and caring towards you like your family? Family, the key word, can define what a true friend is closest to. No matter how old, how popular, or where he or she is from, a true friend will be somebody whom will love you like a brother or a sister. They will love and support you, no matter what you do or what they say. Any regular acquaintance will either care for you or not, but true friends will keep a special vow in you, never to hurt or betray you.

We all have our times when we lose friends, and nobody is perfect for that matter. I remember a story, back in 6th grade, when me and my friend, or whom I thought to be my friend, named Baxter, was on the same tennis team as I. We were pretty good friends and we'd talk to each other every day at school, and I thought this friendship was absolutely fine. But it was until I realized, Baxter's friends who were on his separate baseball team, were jerks to me that whole time. Over a long period of time, Baxter's friends have been telling him to stop being my friend, since I wasn't cool enough to be in their circle of friends. Finally, that day came when he finally yelled in my face, "I'm not your friend anymore, go away." That one thing he said changed my entire life, and I would no longer have the same perspective on friendship again. For at least three years, dealing with even more drama and struggling with school, I lived with this idea that I couldn't make a real friend. I know at least on of you, has a similar story to tell, whether it be more severe or not, there is always a hope for new beginning. Don't be afraid to try again, is what I'm saying.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." II Timothy 1:7

Starting my freshman year in High School, I met the best friend I could ever have. His name was Logan, and I couldn't realize enough he would be the one friend I would love and keep the rest of my life. He seemed to be very close to God, just like I am, and he would be the friend who would sympathize with me at his best whenever I had been down. Logan and I started as just plain acquaintances, and we barely even enjoyed speaking to one-another. Eventually, I got those delusions of the past friendships destroyed regardless whether I had or not, but Logan was perhaps the only one other than my real-life family who could teach me all about my social life and my family problems. We haven't known each other very long, but because we both had this special friendship between each other, I can now consider him as a true friend. No longer do I need to dwell on the mistakes in the past, because now I've become very optimistic thanks to all of my new true friends. This situation proves that you can have just one true friend which will brighten your life into a new hope, and no longer will you need to worry about your weaknesses and your mistakes if this one friend can care for you to the best.

Now count how many true friends do you have. For me, I only counted twelve. Some may consider it a small number, but to me, I think of them all as twelve brothers and sisters, twelve blessings from God. Throughout your entire lifetime, you will have a circle of true friends. It doesn't matter how large the circle is, because friendship is only determined by the quality of every one of them, now how many you have. Unlike having many acquaintances, these friends are gifts to you, and these gifts are meant to be cherished in your life forever. As for those friends you have lost and those whom do bad things onto you, learn to love and respect them, too. Revenge is what we should not try to commit, and it may even result in worst consequences than just losing a friend. Be the better person, and do your best not to be involved in such arguments with others. There will always be new and maybe even better friends who will take the place of a friend you just lost.

Lastly, everyone, this applies to everyone reading this. You may not be having the same issue, but at least once in your life, a family member who loves you very much will tell you something much similar to what I've said in this post. I pray for all of you, whom are in a situation involving lack of strong friendships. Don't give up hope, yet, as we are all still young, life has given us many blessings and gifts we have yet to achieve.

"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24

I will leave a thanks to everyone whom inspired me to create this post.
Silver- Thanks, Silver, for being a great help to this thread and telling me what I've been doing wrong on the forums when I first joined. I'm glad to have gotten along with you much better than before, and I hope it stays that way for a while.

Josiah- Josiah, you've given me advice on this forum which helped me become a better forum member and even a better person in real life. I won't name them all, but I appreciate everything you do for the forum, the Pebble Version comic, and every other member on this forum.

Kako- Thanks for being a really good friend. We don't know each other in real life, but I've always thought of you like a roleplay sister and great person. You're amazing, Kako, and thank you.

Mom and dad- All those lessons you've taught me in life, thank you guys. I promise you not to make the same mistakes again and promise to be the best son you guys can imagine.

Logan and Ebony- You two are the best friends a guy like me can ask for. I hope to keep you two the rest of my life, even if we don't see each other much anymore.

God- Thank you, Lord.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:40 am 
Pokémon Master

Okay, folks. We're ready for anybody now. If anyone needs help than I'm open.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:06 pm 
Random Trainer

Although I've been "welcomed back", I just want a few more tips for how to stay outta trouble. Please?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:10 pm 
Pokémon Master

So far, Pikachu, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Just keep doing what Silver and I advised you to do, and you'll be a good member even after your hiatus.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:12 am 
Pokémon Master

Cheezdude wrote:
Silver wrote:
Now see, I would... advise against writing a letter. Extremely. That's like the pansy way to do it.

...yes, that's almost like asking a friend to do it. Gotta do it right or not at all, I think.

And that's where my problem is, I'm extremely shy. No use in delaying it, I suppose. Doing it tomorrow.
Looking back, this post is dated Oct. 11 2010. It is now Mar. 11, 2011. It's been 5 months, and it just makes me extremely depressed when I see it like that. Five months ago I was closer to asking her out than I am now. I remembered that I hadn't really even talked to her since then. It's not that I don't want to, I simply can't. I want to be done with her completely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next