It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Honorables
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:35 pm 
Pokémon Legend

NabMaster wrote:
White_Samurai wrote:
Pokemon Pinball, not the most popular Pkmn game. But I thought I'd promote it. :)

I remember that game! :-o Probably the only Gameboy game I ever saw that had a rumble back. Good times on that one!

Ohmigawd I loved that game! I don't actually own it, but I borrowed it from my friend all the time.

And, Yoshi Topsy Turvy was a fun game.

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:42 pm 
Pokémon Master

Meteor, a show on NBC, not very popular but I like it.

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:28 pm 
Random Trainer

I can't believe I forgot to mention it earlier, but the .hack series. It has 7 games in 2 series (with a 3rd on the way), 4 anime series, 2 trading card games, an MMO only released in Japan (Fragment), a movie, and tons of graphic novels/books. It's apparently pretty well known in Japan, but over here the fanbase is modest at best :-/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 am 
Pokémon Master

I want people to read Shugo Chara, it's a nice manga. Since Naruto (I refer to it as gayruto) is taking over the manga universe, I wanna promote this cause it's better than the Naruto poop.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:15 pm 
Mew

Just because you like a different manga better, that's no reason to attack Naruto. It may be overly popular right now, but it's a perfectly good series. The rule on these forums is that, if you don't like something, you don't insult or flame it. You either just say "I don't like it" and leave it at that, or you calmly and logically explain the reasons why you think it's bad.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:41 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

On top of that, Naruto isn't even that popular anymore... sure it's got the ten year olds, but most of the people that made up the original fanbase have moved on. There were hardly any Naruto cosplayers at Otakon this year...

But if you want something that's under rated, try One Piece. My poor, poor One Piece... reputation completely ruined by 4kids...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:05 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Plus, most of the ten year olds read Bleach these days, anyway.....I think people just say the huge rows of Naruto on the book shelves at stores and assume it's way popular because of it.....although, if there's loads of books on the shelves, that means not too many people are buying it, eh?

In actuality, Naruto is actually a fairly okay manganime-it's just not the best, nor is it the road, nor does it, as White Samurai suggests, attempt to date other manga of the same gender. Just sort of middle of the road.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:33 pm 
Pokémon Master

Silver wrote:
On top of that, Naruto isn't even that popular anymore... sure it's got the ten year olds, but most of the people that made up the original fanbase have moved on. There were hardly any Naruto cosplayers at Otakon this year...

But if you want something that's under rated, try One Piece. My poor, poor One Piece... reputation completely ruined by 4kids...

I know, and ouch, One Piece was the worst affected by 4Kids. The subbed of it was definitely better. But still, pistols being turned into squirt-guns? How pathetic is that? lol

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:07 am 
Mew

I like Naruto, thought it's not my favorite series or anything. I think I like it a bit better than Bleach though...

Anyway, One Piece did get off to a poor start in the US but we've got a good dub now and by the middle of next year, Viz plans to have the manga nearly caught up to Japan (and I plan to go broke buying all the graphic novels they'll be releasing in order to do so :-/ ).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:35 am 
Random Trainer

Honestly I never really got into Naruto, simply because even through all the action it still seemed a bit kiddish some of the time. I hear Shipuuden (ph) is better, maybe I'll try it sometime.

Anyways, to keep this on topic: Columbo. It had a huge fanbase back when it was on in the 80's and 90's, but nowadays it's hard to find people who've seen it. Peter Falk is awesome! ;-D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:55 am 
Random Trainer

Silver wrote:
On top of that, Naruto isn't even that popular anymore.

That is true. I think its because they killed off so many main people.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ArtOfHeartStudio Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArtOfHeartStudi

DeviantART: http://kako-cakes.deviantart.com/ Official Website: http://www.artofheartstudio.wix.com/art ... lifeareone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:19 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

NabMaster wrote:
Honestly I never really got into Naruto, simply because even through all the action it still seemed a bit kiddish some of the time. I hear Shipuuden (ph) is better, maybe I'll try it sometime.

Anyways, to keep this on topic: Columbo. It had a huge fanbase back when it was on in the 80's and 90's, but nowadays it's hard to find people who've seen it. Peter Falk is awesome! ;-D

You should watch the original version of The In Laws. Peter Falk at his finest.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:48 pm 
Pokémon Master

Shaman King, not a very popular anime so I think it deserves this spot. :)

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:28 pm 
Mew

Naruto does get pretty serious, intense, and even dark at times (before before and during Shippuden). Shippuden refers to the anime based on volumes 28 (I think) and on of the manga. Which is when the story picks up after a three gap. As the main characters have grown up a bit by then, and a pretty major story arc starts up almost immediately, there's less humor and the plot has a lot more dark intense sections. Though, if you don't read/watch the pre-Shippuden stuff, you'll be pretty lost storywise...

The Shamen King manga is pretty good (though I'd personally rank it below Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach (and a bunch of other less popular stuff that I don't want to type right now)). I won't comment on the anime since all I've seen is some of the 4Kids dub, which not something anyone should be basing an opinion of the series on.

Finally, to get back on topic... Since we're talking Shonen manga, Hunter x Hunter is a really excellent one that doesn't get a whole lot of attention.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:36 pm 
Pokémon Master

The Warriors saga, a series of novels involving fierce warrior cats.

Trophy Case:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next