It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fur
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:07 pm 
Random Trainer

Okay, this is gonna be a weird topic so I think I'm gonna start it off by talking about it's origin. One of my friends is into furries. We were talking the other day and he was really annoyed because someone saw the background on his computer (which apparently had a furry character on his wallpaper) and started harassing him.
So that got me thinking: There are a bunch of people who like furries and a lot of people who think it's creepy, gross, etc. I was wondering if anyone on the forum here had an opinion one way or the other on this, and if they wouldn't mind explaining the reasonings behind their beliefs. I'm wondering this simply to learn (and maybe even get a ratio of like:dislike if possible) so please no flames either way.
Also, to make it more specific maybe I should explain a bit. Technically I guess you could say there are 3 levels to furries: there's the ones that you sometimes see in animes, people with animal ears/tails or whatever, but are still for the most part totally human. Then there are the ones that are mostly animal, but have human characteristics (ie: the webcomic 2kinds). Third, there are the ones that are almost if not completely animal, such as the characters of the Redwall series.

So yeah, opinions and reasonings anyone?

Post subject: Re: Fur
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:27 am 
Random Trainer

Opinion? Well, I like furies. For one thing, they're great in fantasy sorts of artwork and writing. Artwork, especially. It allows you to be creative in making the character. And it can be cute to add animal-like features, as anime does at times. Mmm...

"The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems, bringing them into focus; or they can use that magnifying glass to light ants on fire, and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden flaming ants epidemic."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:04 pm 
Egg

Location: I AM EVERYWHERE. IN THE WIND, IN THE TREES, IN YOUR SOCK.
I mainly like the ones with just the ears/tails. I don't mind the others, except for the fetish art of them... It's truly traumatizing.
I like to draw my Pokemon as the kinds that are mostly human with ears/tails/wings (because I have a Yanmega and shiny Togekiss) XD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:31 pm 
Random Trainer

I don't have much experience with furries. I do have a lot of winged characters, but I don't think that falls into the same category. In fact the closest I can get to a furry are Sonic the Hedgehog characters. There's apparently debate on whether Sonic and co. should count as furries at all... Anyway, I'll admit I like them just as much as I like fully-human fictional characters from stuff like One Piece, but that has nothing to do with their being not-human. I judge how much I like a character by personality. If they happen to look good, have a nice color scheme, are insanely powerful, or tend to make me feel sorry for them, then that's just a bonus.

If you're asking me for a general opinion on the types of furries listed, though...I'd have to say liking them isn't really bad. Regardless of what they look like, they're still characters with their own thoughts and personalities, and in my opinion that's just as likeable as appearance, if not more so. Check out Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach. Not the best-looking guy, but he's so hilarious it's pretty hard for me not to like him. In contrast, Doctor Kyle from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle has an appearance that makes me hate him, simply because it contrasts with his personality so much.

Fetishes are weird things, and people get fetishes over even weirder things. Not bothering listing the few I've heard of. If someone decides to fetish over furries, go ahead. As long as they keep discussion of furries to other people of similar interests and not trying to drag ME into fetishing over them, I'd leave them be.

Meh Siggy Site
And another one because they decreased the number of allotted pages on free sites

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:33 pm 
Mew

No strong feelings one way or the other on furries in general. Though fetishes of most types tend to be rather creepy.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:36 am 
Pokémon Master

furries scare me a little, I dunno why though

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:33 pm 
Pokémon Master

By furries, do you animals like Bugs Bunny and Donald Duck? If so, then I have no problem about that. However, the furries with only the ears and tail aren't my kind of thing. Other than that, I don't mind furries. Bonus points if the food chain stays intact.

"Dobby never meant to kill, only to...maim. Or seriously injure."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:00 pm 
Random Trainer

If it's got fur, it's a furry. About the winged people thing, I think the aves are technically furries too but I'm not too sure. Thanks for the responses everyone!

And on the topic of fetishes, I'd have to agree. I've heard of some strange, amusing, and pretty creepy ones before and while normally I do believe in the whole "to each his own" thing, at some times I wish some people would keep it just as their own :drop:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 pm 
Gym Leader

I actually am a furry admirer. I like the art, and the characters are usually good. The lifestyle is a little odd to me, but to each their own.

To be a "feathery" as it is sometimes called, it needs to be a human/bird morph. Angels don't quite count as they are a different race and/or a celestial being depending. This is kind of because "furry" is the slang for "anthropomorphic," generalized to mean the whole bunch: animals, insects, etc.

Also, the ears and tail only, besides being a fetish of it's own, has been disowned by most furries. I'm pretty sure it's been decided that that doesn't count.

And by your definition, a hobbit is a furry because of their feet. :-P

Swalectrode (Electric, Poison) Attacks: Yawn, Tackle, Sludge, Screech (Wins 5, Losses 0) Exp:30 Static&Liquid Ooze Status: Lost T.T

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:42 am 
Random Trainer

PoikSpirit wrote:
I actually am a furry admirer. I like the art, and the characters are usually good. The lifestyle is a little odd to me, but to each their own.

To be a "feathery" as it is sometimes called, it needs to be a human/bird morph. Angels don't quite count as they are a different race and/or a celestial being depending. This is kind of because "furry" is the slang for "anthropomorphic," generalized to mean the whole bunch: animals, insects, etc.

Also, the ears and tail only, besides being a fetish of it's own, has been disowned by most furries. I'm pretty sure it's been decided that that doesn't count.

And I must also be a furry because of, ermm.. my whole bodyXD lol

Here's a good question. What would you do if you found out a friend had a very serious furry fetish? I'm asking because, well... since we're on the topic of furies and someone I know well has a furry fetish... I'd also like to see how other people react to it.

"The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems, bringing them into focus; or they can use that magnifying glass to light ants on fire, and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden flaming ants epidemic."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:09 am 
Pokémon Master

Eclectric wrote:
PoikSpirit wrote:

And I must also be a furry because of, ermm.. my whole bodyXD lol

Here's a good question. What would you do if you found out a friend had a very serious furry fetish? I'm asking because, well... since we're on the topic of furies and someone I know well has a furry fetish... I'd also like to see how other people react to it.

furry fetish? might sound even more scary than an average furry, lol

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:09 pm 
Random Trainer

Actually I've already had to deal with that :-P The friend that I mentioned before annually goes to "AnthroCon," which as it sounds is a big convention for people to talk about how amazing furries are, dress up, and...yeah. I like furries, but I don't think I like them enough to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:57 pm 
Random Trainer

NabMaster wrote:
Actually I've already had to deal with that :-P The friend that I mentioned before annually goes to "AnthroCon," which as it sounds is a big convention for people to talk about how amazing furries are, dress up, and...yeah. I like furries, but I don't think I like them enough to do that.

O_O How did you react when you found out about it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:36 pm 
Random Trainer

I really didn't react very much, just sort of a passing "Oh, you go to a con for that?" sorta moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:39 pm 
Random Trainer

Ahh, I see.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next