It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:55 pm 
Mew

Rook slipped through the crowded square, virtually unnoticed by the variety of people and aliens going about their daily routine. How to not attract attention was one of the first things she'd learned since beginning her life on the streets. While it was unlikely that anyone in the area would be looking for her, much less recognize her, she didn't want to push her luck.

She hated having to trek all the way out here just to look at a message board but jobs, both legitimate and not. She didn't need the cash, not yet, but she was itching for something to do. While the home she had managed to secure shortly after the war had, for the first time she could remember, given her a safe and even comfortable place to call her own, for a girl ho had spent most of her life struggling to survive amidst a chaotic war, home life was also extremely boring.

Terraforming? Her eyes stopped on one flier. Not really my thing, but it sounds like they have money. Might be a chance to sell off some of extra electronic junk I've got laying round. For that matter, they might not realize how much negative attention something like this could draw. I could draw any unwanted eyes away...for a good price.

After taking note of the poster's contact information, Rook turned and quickly vanished back into the crowd.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:18 am 
Articuno

So far Roxie's fliers had draw the wrong kind of people.

Twice now her automated firing torrents had taken out raiders.

She knew the fliers had been a dangerous idea but it was the only way she could the tech, staff and security she needed.

She sat back at the hospital in what was left of a visitors chair and looked over the flyer she had printed one more time.

"We need this.." she spoke a load. She had gotten into a habit of talking to her mindless robots lately. She hadn't left the hospital in over 14 months as she's made it secure.

There was only the main gate for entrance and exit. All other doors had been sealed, alarms set .

She had the kindness to warn about the armaments with signs in 6 languages, but some people and aliens had already fried themselves on the electrified fences and gotten there limbs stuck on the perma glue she had used on all the stone walls and windows.

She was pretty confident she was safe.
She had rigged one set safe path through the hospital grounds to the reception, where she was sat waiting.

There were signs warning of the footing hazards.

If they could not follow instructions for there safety she didn't want there help.

She used the remains of the raiders as fertiliser. No room for sentiment now.

There had been one kid that had shown up, He was a little "tech" class alien. She forgot the name of his species, there were so many on the convoy, but he was one of the ones that resembled humans the most. except for how his eyelids closed the wrong way, side on, oh and he war bright red with quills for hair, like a porcupine.

He'd turned up to beg, she had him sorting through the medical supplies and when staff arrived she'd have him as an "odd job" position, running messages and the like, In return she'd feed and shelter him. It was only fair

He'd said his name to her once, but his mouth was slightly like a muzzle on a pig, so she could not pronounce it correctly. It had sounded like he's said "Reggie" so they both agreed to go with that.

She really needed this to work, she'd put her left savings into this project. She wasn't some hippy, if she could get this to work, her and everyone involved would be set for life.

It just happened she could help save the planet. Nice bonus.

She and Reggie put up the posters in reception.

"Technical Help". "Manual Labour" and "Security". She had another set up away from the rest saying "Trade and Acquisition" she wasn't stupid. She would need some of the items she needed, "liberated" from others.

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am 
Gym Leader

The reptilian took a swig from his flask before replacing it back into his jacket. He approached the main gate of the hospital, glancing over to the signs posted warning of the defenses. He pulled the flyer out, reading over it again. He shook his head, tossing the flyer over his shoulder. "Not worth the hassle."

He turned to walk away, but he felt a familiar, gentle hand on his shoulder to halt him, followed by a familiar soothing voice. "As'hikar... the planet needs this... Do it for me..."

As'hikar brought his hand up to his shoulder to grab the hand that wasn't there, turning around to the person that wasn't there. He looked down at the flyer on the ground, kneeling down and picking it back up, and gently folding it back into his pocket. He composed himself, turning back towards the gate.

"Well then, through I go, I guess."

I am the artist formerly known as Matrix Kirby.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:00 pm 
Articuno

Shauni spotted the reptilian, saw him throw away the flyer and her heart dropped, then she saw him stop, and turn around to come inside.

She stood up from her chair, Reggie jumping at her sudden movement.

"Reggie, go get some drinks, ones that...the reptilian aliens like? Gees I'm awful at this"

Reggie nodded and left the room.

Roxie approched the door to reception, but did not step out into the yard.

"if you walk right down the path you will be fine" she shouted

She waved and smiled as she said it. "Hi there! Welcome!"

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:43 pm 
Gym Leader

He looked on as the human came to the door and shouted directions to him. He looked down at the path, taking a test step forward, then proceeding to walk the path. As he approached her, he pulled the flyer back out of his pocket, and presented it to her. "I believe it said to present the flyer upon arrival. Sorry for the condition of it, someone thought they'd be try to be funny." he said, looking around the place. "My name is As'hikar. I graduated from a military academy, so I've got extensive combat training. I used to be a general, so if you need leadership in another area, I can offer that as well."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:03 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Soon after, Caruthers appeared at the entrance, holding his umbrella in one hand and several flyers in the other. "I believe these were abandoned in a refuse container nearby; is the owner of this article present? I imagine that these articles should be returned to their original positions with speed."

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:11 pm 
Mew

Rook reclined on a rusty hospital bed, watching the proceedings on a small holographic display. Really, that Roxie lady put too much trust in her security system. It was built well enough, but hacking it had been a fairly simple process. That, plus a simple scanner, had allowed Rook to slip into the area undetected and dispatch a few small camera drones. It was a lot of prep work for nothing but a potential job, but it paid to be careful when picking new clients. You never knew what they, or their associates, were up to. So far, the job seemed legit, though the payment didn't seem quite so certain. But, with other unknown applicants starting to show up (ones that didn't get themselves killed at the door, anyway), she decided to take a little more time to watch and run some checks on them before revealing herself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 am 
Articuno

Roxie took As'hikar hand, even though it wasn't extended to shake

"Hi there hi! My name is Roxie, your the first applicant I've had actually, which is great as I really need to establish security so the other staff are safe..once they arrive"

She forced a smile. She didn't have an issue with aliens as much as other humans, but it was still going to be a bit of a strain working with them, however she put that aside. if the first person that came along to help was an alien, humans be damned.

After some small chit chat, Roxie was altered to some other applicant at the door.

She leaned over As'hikar's right shoulder and spotted the robot.

The geek in her took over and her eyes practically doubled in size.

"Oh my god! A Butler droid!"

She quickly let go of As'hikar hand and ran over to Caruthers, looking him over like he was a rare masterpiece.

She circled him three times, not noticing the fliers.
She went in to touch him a few times but, as if he would break, stopped short a few cm from his silver finish

She looked over to As'hikar

"Do you know what this is!? Its pre war tech! I never thought I'd ever see a working model!"

She stood up and looked into his "eyes"
"Hi there! I'm Roxie! Aren't you the coolest thing ever!"

She closed her eyes and smiled at him, a huge grin forming as she could not contain her excitement.

She finally noticed the fliers in his hands and took one of the crumpled ones, then took the one As'hikar had given her also crumpled.

She frowned "Great..."

Meanwhile, Reggie was upstairs, and walked right past Rook's room. He stopped suddenly, lifting his head and smelled the air, and panicked, running down stairs making a quilling noise.

Go to ROM the Comic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:41 pm 
Gym Leader

As'hikar stepped back as she gawked all over the robot. He let out a small laugh, thinking to himself. Pre-war technology, that thing can't be more than 20.

He pulled his flask out of his jacket, taking a quick swig, before replacing it. He looked around the room they were in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:50 am 
Articuno

The room was cleared of rubble, but you could tell it had once taken a beating as there was plaster missing off the wall, and a few dark red stains here and there that had been attempted to be scrubbed up.

You notice the signs Roxie has put up.

You can hear a faint squalling noise.

Go to ROM the Comic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:57 pm 
Mew

"Tch. Look away from the video feeds for a few seconds..." Rook grumbled as she slipped out of the room moments after the little alien ran off. While it seemed safe enough to announce her presence, she'd rather do it her way.

Taking a different route, she beat Reggie to the room where the others were gathered. She stepped inside silently while the others were distracted by the robot. She leaned against the nearest wall, arms folded.

"Your security needs work." she spoke up. "I could help you with that, and some other things, for a price."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:38 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Caruthers closes his umbrella and touches the brim of his hat. "Hello, miss, I was known as Caruthers to my previous master. Indeed I run at an internal temperature that is at below room temperature, but there are many things in this room that are less conductive of heat than my casing, and these clothes do not allow thermal exchange with the air, so I do not run at as low a temperature as I could." He does a slight bow to Roxie, and then again as Rook enters the room. "Greetings."

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:43 am 
Gym Leader

Ah'sikar rolled his eyes, debating pulling out for another swig. He turned his attention to the new female in the room. "Hopefully you're reliance isn't just on technology."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:31 am 
Articuno

Rook made Roxie jump at first and her hand went to the gun on her hip, until what Rook had said sank in.

Her eyes narrowed and she looked her up and down "I'm impressed you managed to get in."

She patted Caruthers casing and walked towards Rook.
At this point Reggie was in reception, out of breath pointing at Rook

"I know Reggie, thanks"

She moved her hand from her gun but did not relax her posture.

"I'd be grateful if you showed me how you broke in first, we can call that even for the drones I assume you broke"

She then reached into her pocket and pulled out a list

"Once you show me that, I need each of these things on this list. Next to each item is the price I'm offering"

She handed the list to Rook. The prices were generous, and each item had possible locations listed.

"If you help with security you will be working with myself and possibly As'hikar. I trust that isn't a problem?"

"I'm offering basic rate for guard duty, a little more if you have your own kit, like firearms. If you help me with the security set up, I'll pay you for whatever kit you provide at double the rate they are offering at the scrap merchants, as well as for your time."

She then pointed at the list "If you get the item marked 3, I'll pay you the fee stated and give you first dibs on any other procurement job with an extra 1/4 of the listed price on top"

Item three was listed as "Terra forming node". The possible locations for one were all military instillations, except one that was just listed as "Colony mother ship"

The price offered was 1 million USD

She then left Rook to think about her offer.

She approached As'hikar "I'm offering full time work over the next 2 years for onsite security, if you provide your own weapons I'll pay you more. You also get room an board with that as well if you want". She looked at his flask "i'd ask you not to drink on duty though"

She glanced at Rook "If you want to help with procurement as security for our agents, I'll give you a 10% bonus that month"

She then smiled "If you end up being in charge of my security team, your pay doubles"

She then looked at Caruthers with a huge smile "And you my good sir are welcome in for free! If you let me do a scan of your robotics, I'll give you a free service. If you want to stay here, I can offer you amnesty from anyone trying to procure you, and you'd be free to go about your business. You can even help out if you like!"

Go to ROM the Comic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 am 
Gym Leader

He listened to her offer, then nodded. "I agree to your terms. Though, right now all I have is a pistol with..." He pulled it out, opening the clip and counted the bullets. "4 shots." he added, replacing the weapon into his coat. As for the drinking, that was something he couldn't promise her, but he wasn't goign to say that one out loud.

"Here's my question, why do you need security? Do you have rivals that intend to stop you?"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next