It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:45 am 
Random Trainer

I...haven't been doing that much reading lately... oo

I did pick up the first three volumes of the Pit Dragon series (it used to be a trilogy, but then Yolen decided to write a fourth one, years after the first three were published). I'd read the first two books before, way back in elementary school, and thought (SPOILER) it was lame that Heart's Blood died at the end of the second. I mean, I thought the human-dragon relationship would've been deeper than that. Aside from that, though, I thought the first book was pretty good. Not sure why I was reading it in elementary school, though, since it had a few adult references in it...

Meh Siggy Site
And another one because they decreased the number of allotted pages on free sites

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:13 am 
Pokémon Master

I've really gotten into the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. That man is a genius.

"Dobby never meant to kill, only to...maim. Or seriously injure."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:57 am 
Random Trainer

I'm finally almost done The Divine Comedy! Just a few more Cantos in Paradisio and I can put it away finally. It's really amazing to read it the whole way through, Inferno is such a brutal and morbid book, Purgatorio is strange that it feels both pleasant and a little disturbing at the same time (the big difference between the two is that Inferno really pushes that the punishments are being forced on them, whereas in Purgatorio it's a choice. They choose how long they pay, and when they feel right they move on), but Paradisio is all cheer and joy and about everything being awesome. A huge transition for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 pm 
Mew

Somday I'm going to read that... But not today. Today the next batch of One Piece manga is released.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:47 pm 
Gym Leader

Everything by Douglas Preston and/or Lincoln Child. EVERYTHING.

Their Pendergast "series" is quite enjoyable to read. Of course, I've already read the newer books before the first one, but they can stand alone.

Volgel(4):Magneduo- Gender: Male; Type: Electric, Flying; Abilities: Magnet Pull, Early Bird; Attacks: Tackle, Growl, Thundershock, Pursuit
Schwann(4):Bronzling- Gender: Female; Type: Steel, Psychic; Abilities: Levitate, Heatproof; Attacks: Wrap, Confusion, Growl, Hypnosis
Swapi (4):Larxy- Gender: Female; Type: Normal, Flying; Abilities: Natural Cure, Serene Grace; Attacks: Peck, Charm, Sing, Fury Attack
Zutodile (4):Hydra(SDC) - Gender: Female; Type: Water, Poison; Abilities: Inner Focus, Torrent; Attacks: Leech Life, Scratch, Supersonic, Water gun
IC as of 6/7/09: 737

Signature site, how original!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:17 am 
Gym Leader

I've recently re-read the Deltora quest series, I finally own the books so I had to read them again when i bought them. ^_^

That spikes you when you pick it up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:26 pm 
Mew

My brother is forcing me to read Stephanie Myer's The Host. It's actually not bad. Much better than Twilight, anyway.

Other than that, I David Drake's King of the Isles (or was it Lord of the Isles?) series is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:13 pm 
Random Trainer

Finished reading R. Scott Bakker's 4th book in his Second Apocalypse series, and now I'm reading this sci-fi book he apparently wrote on a dare from his wife or something to that extent. It's really intense, the entire book is an enormous wall of text combining psychology and philosophy. Really makes you question some things. Definitely worth a read if you don't mind very detailed, violent stories.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:50 pm 
Pokémon Master

Not sure if I've said this already in a different thread, but I'm working my way through the Discworld books. So far I've read The Colour Of Magic, Equal Rites, Mort, Sourcery, Pyramids, Guards! Guards!, Moving Pictures, Reaper Man, Witches Abroad, Small Gods, Men at Arms, Soul Music, Interesting Times, Feet of Clay, Hogfather, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, The Truth, Going Postal and Making Money. Not in that order, obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:10 pm 
Random Trainer

Well, I gave in to curiosity while in China (and while starved for English novels) and read Twilight. It wasn't as bad as I'd expected it to be, but Bella and Edward drove me crazy with their obsession with each other. How is that even supposed to be romantic? It's downright creepy. >>'

I also read The Time Traveler's Wife, which was much better. It's probably 18+ or at least PG-13, but it was overall a very enjoyable book with both comedic and tragic moments. (SPOILER) I particularly liked the parts where Henry helped Clare get revenge on Jason, Henry reveals to Gomez his time traveling, Clare marries Henry twice, and Kendrick is finally convinced to help them. If you've watched the movie and thought it was lame, the book is better. ._.

Meh Siggy Site
And another one because they decreased the number of allotted pages on free sites

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:33 am 
Torchic

I picked up 3 Anne Rice books for 15 bucks a month ago and haven't touched them since. I keep meaning to, but I'm usually too tired to read before going to sleep. I think now would be the best time to read them considering Halloween in is less than 5 weeks. I'll get to it eventually. But besides that, the last book I read was.........I can't remember. Yeah, its been that long.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:59 pm 
Mew

Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings, which is looking to be the start of an excellent series. It's also the longest book I've read all year, seeing as 1000 page novels seem to be going out of fashion, even when it comes to epic fantasy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:54 pm 
Pokémon Master

I'm reading Huckleberry Finn, a spin-off of Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer. I'm also reading Beloved by Toni Morrison. Pretty good book, but very sexual and violent in a way.

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 pm 
Random Trainer

Currently reading Book 3 in The Hunger Games (Mockingjay), then going to start Philip K Dick's The Divine Invasion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:14 pm 
Gym Leader

Stephen King. Because I'm finally allowed to. *Under breath* Overprotective mom....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next