It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm 
Mew

Dates: October 19 - ???
Games: X/Y or Pokémon Showdown (players who want to use Showdown get their way)
Tournament Format: Round Robin (each player plays a round against every other player)
-Single battles, level 50 or level 100 (competitors' choice), with 6 Pokémon each. Best two out of three matches.
-Players get 2 points for a win and 1 point for a tie. Most points at the end of the tournament wins.
-The Wonder Launcher cannot be used.
-Once matches have been announced, competitors will have 1 week to hold their match and report it in this thread. Matches that are not completed in that time will be decided via coin flip.
-If one person can show that they made a reasonable effort to contact their opponent and received no response, they'll get the win instead of going to coin flip.

Team Formation
-Teams can be changed between rounds, but not matches.
-No more than one "uber" per team as per Smogon's tiers (see list of Pokémon banned in the OU category).
-A team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same pokédex number.

More details will be posted as the start date approaches. If you want to enter, post here to reserve a spot. All entries must be made no later than October 17. I'll decide matchups via a random number generator.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:58 pm 
Mew

I'm in, of course. Some things to discuss before the tournament...

Should we do X/Y or would one of those online battle simulators be better?
Are you guys ok with the rules I posted or would you prefer doubles, level 100, or some such?
Do you want to allow more legendaries or ban them all?
Do you want to ban certain Pokémon, moves, or items?
Do we want the sleep clause or other common tournament rules?
One match or best two out of three? How should ties (via moves like Destiny Bond and Self Destruct) be handled?
How long should we give each pair to schedule and hold their match?
Anything else you can think of?

Personally, I prefer using the actual games nd I tend to go with the fewer restrictions the better. I also prefer level 100, but 50 seems to be the norm. As for match time limits... We could go with something like a week and be generous, but 3 or 4 days would keep things moving faster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:07 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

I use Pokemon Showdown, personally, and it's really great. Also it means I could do it as I don't really want to buy another x version...

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:58 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

I would love to use my actual in-game perfectly bred and EV trained Pokemon, but... if Pokemon Showdown means more participants I think it's the logical choice.

Personally, I'm in favor of lifting the no duplicate items rule, as that's really not standard anymore. Also changing that "No more than one legendary" to either "No more than one Uber tier" or "Ubers banned". Much as I dislike the community part of smogon, they've certainly done enough analysis to know how Pokemon compare to each other, so if they say something is too strong, I'll believe 'em. Conversely if they say that Articuno is bottom tier despite being a legendary, I'll take their word for it on that too.

(I gotta say I think their "No evasion boost" and "No Swagger" rules are super dumb though, that sounds like the result of a bunch of 12 year olds whining because they lost so much that they banned it to shut them up...)

Standard ruling for "ties" far as I know is that whoever used the move is considered the winner, which I think makes sense 'cause they did take out all the other person's Pokemon, but the other person didn't take out all of theirs, technically.

And I think a one week time limit seems fine. Especially considering time zone differences, it'll make it easier to find a time for both people to be online, and it won't go too slowly if there's a week between each round considering there'll probably only be like three rounds...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:44 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Showdown plays based on smogon rules and let me tell you, the "no swagger" thing happened because swagger took over the dang scene. Basically the decision of which pokemon you wanted to start with boiled down to which prankster with swagger you preferred.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:18 am 
Mew

Quote:
I would love to use my actual in-game perfectly bred and EV trained Pokemon, but... if Pokemon Showdown means more participants I think it's the logical choice.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. We could give everyone the choice of games or showdown (with Showdown being the default since everyone should be able to use it).

Quote:
Personally, I'm in favor of lifting the no duplicate items rule, as that's really not standard anymore.

I thought it was still pretty common, but I have no problem lifting it. Never really saw the point. I should probably add a no more than one of each Pokémon type rule though.

Quote:
Also changing that "No more than one legendary" to either "No more than one Uber tier" or "Ubers banned". Much as I dislike the community part of smogon, they've certainly done enough analysis to know how Pokemon compare to each other, so if they say something is too strong, I'll believe 'em. Conversely if they say that Articuno is bottom tier despite being a legendary, I'll take their word for it on that too.

I have some issues with Smogon's uber list, but I suppose that makes more sense. One uber per team then?

Quote:
(I gotta say I think their "No evasion boost" and "No Swagger" rules are super dumb though, that sounds like the result of a bunch of 12 year olds whining because they lost so much that they banned it to shut them up...)

100% agreed. On that note, if we're going to limit / ban their uber tier, how about making exceptions for ones that are only considered uber due to evasion (Sand Veil Sandslash, for example).

Quote:
Standard ruling for "ties" far as I know is that whoever used the move is considered the winner, which I think makes sense 'cause they did take out all the other person's Pokemon, but the other person didn't take out all of theirs, technically.

That's the way I tend to do it. I know some people do the opposite, but I think they're just whiners.

Quote:
And I think a one week time limit seems fine. Especially considering time zone differences, it'll make it easier to find a time for both people to be online, and it won't go too slowly if there's a week between each round considering there'll probably only be like three rounds...

We could do Round Robin if we don't have too many entrants. It'd mean a longer tournament, but fighting everyone would be fun.

Speaking of Smogon, any thoughts on the sleep rule? Personally, I think it's kinda stupid but if people want it...

Another thin I just thought of... Do we want to limit people to a set six Pokémon team for the entire tournament, or should we allow substitutions between rounds (or matches, if we do best two out of three)? Speaking as someone who trained up eleven different Pokémon, I could argue either way there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:48 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Well look dudes, if you want to battle your pokemon, don't let me stop you.

As for the sleep rule, I like it personally, because it's very difficult to overcome a fast spore user, but I'm not married to it or anything.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:12 pm 
Mew

Letting people use the games or Showdown works fine. Then you, or anyone else who has problems with the game, or hasn't finished training their team or something, can join in.

As for Spore, it is nasty but last I remember there's only one or two Pokémon that can learn it and neither is especially fast. Or am I forgetting something?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:16 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Breloom is pretty fast. It also makes prankster pokemon with access to sleep powder/hypnosis miserable.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:00 am 
Articuno

I'd say use the games as I've really put a lot of effort into breeding and ev training my battle team and I would like to use that. I agree with no duplicate items and one legendary pokemon. I don't think we should have any more rules than that as these have been imposed and aren't a game mechanic. I'd just like to add only X/Y born pokemon, to avoid hacks but if no one agrees with that I don't mind to much.

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:31 am 
Mew

I'm pretty sure none of us use hacks.

Anyway, I've updated the rules in the first post. Any comments?

Some other things to address...

-Does anyone else want to weigh in on the sleep clause?
-How about other standard Smogon clauses (endless battle, moody, OHKO, etc.)?
-Are people ok with allowing Swagger?
-Anyone dead set on banning certain Megas?
-Do we want to lock down teams for the entire tournament or allow adjustments between rounds?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:45 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

If we're allowing one uber, there are certain megas that count as uber while their regular versions don't:

Mawile
Kangashkhan
Lucario
Gengar

So that may be how we rule that. Also there's some weird thing where you can only have one mega but I don't really understand that, is that also in the games?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:40 pm 
Mew

The way it works (and this is a game rule, not a Smog on thing) is that you can only perform one mega evolution per battle, regardless of how many mega evolution capable Pokémon are in your party.

On the subject of Smogon's tiers, I'm happy that Sandslash isn't considered Uber anymore but annoyed that Blaziken still is and that Aegislash made the list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:20 am 
Articuno

I REALLY don't want to follow Smogon rules, they go against every bone in my body. I'd prefer just one legendary per team, one of each kind of pokemon (so like no army of pikachu's) , only one of each held items and everything else should be standard game rules.

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:18 pm 
Blaziken Level 100

We're supposed to make a post here if we want to participate, yes? I think I will give it a try, though, I've never used Showdown before...