It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shady PSP Business
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:25 pm 
Random Trainer

So let's say a game company releases a game on the PSP but refuses to make it downloadable. Now of course people are going to be pirating it for exactly that reason, but let's say someone who doesn't know much about game pirating wanted to play a downloaded (and of course pirated, seeing as there's no legit option) version that some person put up on the internet. Does anyone know how someone would go about making their PSP play a pirated game?

Post subject: Re: Shady PSP Business
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:10 pm 
Mew

Unless you have a PSP Go, just buy the disc. Beyond that...I'm really not sure. Regular downloaded games play right away once you copy them to the right folder on your memory stick.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:12 pm 
Random Trainer

Problem is, I do have a PSP Go :-/ I had a PSP 2000 but I gave it to my mom when I got the Go (she likes to chat to my grandma on Skype and doesn't like to have to sit at the computer to chat).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:14 pm 
Mew

I'm tempted to ask why in the world you'd get a Go over a regular PSP...but I guess it doesn't matter. Sorry about whatever game you want. Chances are it'll show up on the PSN store sooner or later.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

You're talking about Birth By Sleep, aren't you? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they absolutely refused to make that one down loadable... because they didn't want people to pirate it. Funny how that works.

Anyway, I can't help you myself, but Colly has a bit of experience with hacked PSPs. Don't know if she'd really be able to help though, especially because... neither of us wanted to touch the Go with a ten foot pole. Plus she said hacking a PSP is a really annoying process...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:24 pm 
Mew

Dissidia is downloadable though, and I'm pretty sure Sony has a rule that all PSP games need to be released in downloadable format. So I'd take a wait and see approach.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:32 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

It wasn't Square's decision, it was Disney's. And... they probably have more money than Sony. If anything? They might sell it, I dunno, pre-installed on a memory stick or something for the Go users. But I remember hearing about all the big arguments over that. I very, very strongly doubt this one will be downloadable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:38 pm 
Mew

Guess I missed out on that bit of news. Well Nab, you could always trade the Go in for a 3000. Your downloadable games would still work and you could use discs again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:55 am 
Random Trainer

Yeah, the main reason I got the go is because it's way more portable. I don't have an mp3 player so I use my PSP and having my old 2000 bouncing around in my pocket... well, yeah.

But yeah, there are tons and tons of pirated versions of BBS all over the internet (looks like they were uploaded on day 1 of the release too, so whatever anti-piracy thing they threw on clearly was a waste), but I'm not sure how to get it on. I saw a couple how-to videos but they all say you need to load some sort of custom firmware for the OS and that doesn't sound too safe :-/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:49 am 
Mew

Yeah, custom firmware is risky. Especially since you frequently need to update to the latest Sony firmware to play new games.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:09 pm 
Blaziken

So, I'll say this up front right now. The Go is really tricky to hack compared to all other models. Not saying that it's impossible, but no proper hack exists at the moment for the public. Even when one comes out, Sony will get to it in less than a week like they did with the last public hack.
PSP Go will most likely be Birth by Sleep-less for a few years, so the only way you'd be able to play it is by getting a different model and buy a copy/hack it and play the ISO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:55 pm 
Random Trainer

:-q Yeah I figured you'd say that. Saw a cheap(ish) psp on ebay, might go for that when I get a job I guess. Thanks guys (and gal)!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]