It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Dissidia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:25 pm 
Random Trainer

Well it's almost upon us, Dissidia releases August 25th! The official site is looking pretty sweet and from what a coupe youtube videos are showing, it looks like a mix of Kingdom Hearts (free movement along the battlefield, reaction commands, etc) and Soul Calibur with a twist - instead of just having a health bar, the core of the fights belongs to the numbers right above it - the Break points. The more Break points you collect, the harder your actual damage dealing attacks are. As an added bonus, if you can manage to get the enemies Break points down to 0, every hit you do until it comes back up is a critical hit!
You can play as any of the 10 main heroes or the 10 main bad guys, there's wireless battles (I really hope that includes online play!), and pretty sweet graphics.

I'm going to have a really tough time deciding whether to play as Squall (main good guy of Final Fantasy VIII) or Ultimecia (main bad guy of Final Fantasy VIII). I've always thought Ultimecia was a better bad guy than Sephiroth, I mean she has the power to control time and space and can corrupt powerful spellcasters in different times. Plus in the original game it was a 2 hour battle with her, your teammates were chosen completely at random in the fight, and if anyone stayed dead for 3 turns they disappeared - no more rezzing them at all! Vid of Squall vs Ultimecia's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUhdOtc194M
I can't understand any of it, but it's still pretty awesome! ;-D

Post subject: Re: Dissidia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:44 pm 
Mew

I've played a little of Dissidia in Japanese and it's pretty cool. I'll likely be playing as Squall a lot since he's one of my favorite FF characters, though I suppose I'll have to see how he handles in game before I decide.

That said, Ultimecia wasn't that good of a villian. The final battle was cool (though having your part members selected at random was just annoying) and yeah she has some ability to control time and space, but she's got virtually no backstory. She's some evil sorceress from the future who wants to control the world just because. And, she she doesn't even show up till nearly the end of the game (she's a mentioned a couple times, but you don't see her), there isn't even any time to develop her personality. Sephiroth is such a popular villian because of his tragic backstory and the history he shared with Cloud. On the opposite end, Kefka is such a popular villian because, despite a weak backstory, his crazy "watch the world burn" personality was so well done. Ultimecia lacked both of those elements and, as much as I like FFVIII (it's my second favorite FF after X), I've got to say that she's a disapointing weak point in it.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:33 pm 
Random Trainer

Oh yeah, her backstory is almost nonexistant, there's no way I can deny that, but she does have some sweet powers - Jecht (main bad guy from Final Fantasy X) has some insane combos in that game, there's a couple vids on youtube of Jecht absolutely destroying the enemies with his long combos. This game is going to be nice!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:52 pm 
Pokémon Champion

I can't wait for the game to come out. It'll be sweet. Only problem is that the Batman game comes out the same day :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:54 pm 
Random Trainer

Well the demo came out on the Playstation Store so I gave it a whirl. Right now they only have 5 characters available (Onion Knight from 3, Cecil from 4, Terra from 6, and Cloud and Sephiroth from 7) and I gotta say, I'm loving Cecil and Terra's gameplay styles. Onion Knight and Cloud are okay, I probably won't use them too much, and I can't stand Sephiroth - his attacks are really fast to pull off, but he's really slow after he swings his sword so if you miss you're screwed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:59 pm 
Mew

So, how far is everyone?

I beaten all the story modes including Inward Chaos. I used Squall in all the story modes where you can choose your character (Inward Chaos was extremely difficult). At this point, he's level 100 and has mastered most of his abilities (even the ones I don't use on my primary build). He's only got level 60 and 70 equipment though. Everyone else is still low level since I didn't do much with them other than finish their story modes. Currently working on getting 100% on all the "choose your character" story modes, after which I'll powerful level the rest of the characters and get 100% on all their story modes. I've barely touched any of the other game modes, other than Quick Battle, since I'm saving them for after I finish the story modes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:08 pm 
Random Trainer

Finished Impulse as Firion (now level 94) and I've been doing a ton of quick battles to prep myself for the stories after it. Most of the abilities I use a lot are mastered (unless he gets a new one, all HP/BRV attacks and a bunch of the passive stuff) but I've been AP grinding a ton to get there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:51 pm 
Pokémon Champion

Well I'm not all that far really. I've been spending my weekends playing Yu-Gi-Oh instead of playing and work does take up some time :)

But I've done all the char stories at least twice and Shade Impulse stage 2 with Cloud. So far Cloud is my highest at 58 and then I have 2 others in their 30's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:02 pm 
Random Trainer

Just wondering, does anyone know a way to send Friend Cards via the internet? I've already used the nearby transfer, but it'd be a lot easier if you could just send it online to someone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:42 pm 
Pokémon Champion

Sorry but can't do that. Yet at least. i heard they might be trying to do that...maybe...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:45 pm 
Mew

Yeah, there's no online functionality. Sony was testing a PS3 update in Japan that let you connect you PSP to your PS3 to play local wireless only games online, but I don't know if/when it'll be released.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:34 pm 
Random Trainer

Hmm that sucks, but I'll keep my fingers crossed in case that does happen - otherwise, maybe I can snag some friend cards at a con or something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:04 am 
Mew

And there's always the Slitzken friend cards the moogles send you and the special friend cards you can get via passwords.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:27 pm 
Mew

I got every character to level 100 (actually pretty quick and easy, if you set things up right) and have 100% on nearly all the story modes (just need Terra, Bartz, Zidane, and Inward Chaos). Planning on finishing those three character story modes, then getting all the Cosmos reports, then getting all the Chaos reports, then farming for the drops needed to get good equipment, and finally getting 100% on Inward Chaos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:33 pm 
Mew

Here's how to quickly level up all your characters to 100.

Items and Unlocks Needed
1. Buy enough Quick Play upgrades in the PP store so you can Quick Battle level 100 enemies.
2. Get the regular (not AUTO) Magic Pot summon from Cloud's Destiny Odyssey (requires a replay after getting at least a 2 star rating).
3. Buy the Fat Chocobo play plan in the PP store and use it for a while to stockpile a decent collection of the three Chocobo EXP boosting accessories.
4. While you're at it, earn enough PP to buy all the Calander EXP boosts in the PP store.

The Setup
1. Wait till your bonus day (or just change the date on your PSP).
2. Set your play plan to anything other than Fat Chocobo (Black is generally the quickest) and beat up a bunch of level 1 guys in Quick Battle until your Chocobo has a 5x EXP boost for the next battle. Note: you'll need to go back to character selection after every battle, go into your character's menu, and check on the Chocobo to see if it has it or not.
3. Once you've got that 5x EXP boost waiting, equip all the characters you want to level with the regular Magic Pot summon and all 3 Chocobo accessories. The rest of their equipment doesn't matter.
4. Save your game.

The Leveling:
1. Go to quick battle and select one of the characters you want to level up.
2. Choose any opponent (I prefer Exdeath since he's slow and fairly easy to hit).
3. Choose an arena (I found Cosmos Sanctuary Omega to be the easiest for this, but any one will work).
4. Set your opponent to level 100. The other settings can be whatever you like but I prefer High Equipment (6) difficulty and Cautious play style.
5. Start the battle and let your opponent break you (just make your you don't get hit by a HP attack). If you're using the recommended stage, this should give them 9999 brave. If not, let them get some more Brave hits on you until they reach 9999 brave.
6. Get yourself out of break (either hit them with an HP attack or dodge around a bit till your Brave refills).
7. Use Magic Pot to copy your opponent's 9999 Brave to yourself.
8. Hit your opponent with a HP attack. The resulting XP gain (over 2.5 million) will be enough to level any character (even at level 1) all the way to 100.
9. If your HP attack didn't finish off your opponent, keep fighting until one of you (doesn't matter which) is dead.
10. VERY IMPORTANT When the battle ends, wait until the menu appears with the usual Rematch, Character Selection, etc options. DO NOT SELECT ANYTHING ON THE MENU. Instead, hit the Home button on your PSP and quit the game (DO NOT DO THIS BEFORE THE MENU APPEARS).
11. Restart Dissidia and load your game. You'll see that you still have all the EXP earned from the last battle (as well as the AP, PP, drops, etc) but your Chocobo will still have the 5x EXP boost. Note that summon usage and broken accessories carry over as well. The only thing that didn't get saved was the Chocobo advancing and losing that boost.
12. You should still have one use of Magic Pot left, so start a new quick battle with another character and repeat the steps 1 - 11.
13. When Magic Pot needs to recharge, go back to quick battle, select a character that doesn't need to leveled, and fight six easy battles against whoever to recharge it. It's VERY IMPORTANT to use the Home button to quit Dissidia when the menu appears at the end of each fight, just like when you were leveling, so you don't lose your Chocobo bonus. Note: If you have a Rabbit's Foot, Blazing Totema, and/or Luck Ring you can equip them to reduce the number of battles needed to recharge Magic Pot.
14. Once Magic Pot is recharged, repeat steps 1 - 11 a couple times to level up two more characters then repeat step 13 to recharge Magic Pot. Keep this up until all of your characters are at level 100.

If Something Goes Wrong
1. If you get killed in a leveling fight BEFORE using you can land an HP attack with 9999 Brave... Immediately use the Home button on your PSP to quit Dissidia then restart the game and try again. Note that you can wait until the post battle menu comes up like usual, but doing so may result in some broken accessories and/or a lost Magic Pot charge, so it's better to quit ASAP, before the game has a chance to save your battle results.
2. If you run out of one or more Chocobo accessories... The larger a stock you have before you start leveling, the less chance there is of this happening. While I haven't tested it, it's possible that you don't need all three accessories in order to reach level 100 in one battle. Anyway, if you run out you can either keep going with less accessories (though you might need 2-3 battles per character to reach level 100) or you can take a break from the whole process, use Black Chocobo to get more accessories, get another 5x EXP bonus, and then start again.
3. If you run out of time... If the day ends, you'll lose your bonus day EXP boost and your Chocobo's 5x boost. To prevent this, if you're nearing midnight or just want to call it a day, go ahead and quit the game (using the Home button if you're in a battle). Then, before you start it up again, change you PSP's clock back to the date you were leveling on and set the time to something nice and early in the day. You can now start up Dissidia and resume leveling.

While this makes it easy to get to level 100, you'll need need to master lots of abilities with your favorite guys afterwards. But that's easily accomplished with a set of Diamond gear, your bonus day PP boost (preferably with all the calander bonus boosts purchased), and a series of easy quick battles against weak guys.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next