It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Week of Randomness 2014
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:07 pm 
Mew

Things have been slow lately, but maybe we can up the activity a bit and close out the year with some fun.

Note that, depending on the number of participants, I may reduce the number the number of winners (dropping third and possibly second place).

Rules:
1. The event will run from Sunday Dec 28th - Saturday Jan 3rd (US Eastern Standard Time, which is the default time setting on the forums).
2. Every single day of the week will be different. Details for each day will be posted in the schedule at least a couple days ahead of time so keep checking this post.
3. There is no need to "enter", if you post during the duration of the event you're automatically entered.
4. You will be judged each day based on how well your posts comply to that day's rules.
5. Quality of posts and number of posts will also be taken into account (the higher the quality of your posts and the more posts you make the better, assuming they follow that day's rules).
6. Each day people will be awarded first, second, and third place for that day and each of those three people will be awarded points. Whoever has the most posts at the end of the week wins. However, you will not be told who won each day until after the week is over.
7. To avoid screwing things up, the daily rules do not apply to RP posts unless specifically noted. Following the daily rules in game threads is good, but only so long as you don't break the rules of the game itself.

Schedule:
Sunday the 28th: You whippersnappers have it too easy! In my day walk ten miles in the snow carrying a big bags of rocks just to post in the Week of Randomness. And we had good themes then too, none of this here Talk Like a Cranky Old Man Day.

Monday the 29th: Time to describe Give Up Way Too Easily Day! Ugh, pushing these keys takes way too much effort. Forget about it...

Tuesday the 30th: 1815040010 0813 0214030403 1204181800060418 030024 (Speak in Coded Messages Day (and maybe include a key if needed))

Wednesday the 31st: I'm such an amazing person. I mean, who else besides a true genius could come up with Tell Everyone How Awesome You Are Day?

Thursday the 1st: This is Be a G, er, I mean it's Don't Use C-, actually, let's say it's Constantly Change Your Mind Day.

Friday the 2nd: The Week of Randomness is like a shrine, adding a little excitement and mystery to the orderly valley of the year. Explain Everything in Metaphors Day is a perfect example of this.

Saturday the 3rd: SUPER COMBO MIX-UP DAY
Option 1 – Talk like a cranky old man who constantly changes his mind and gives up easily.
Option 2 – Speak in coded metaphors about how awesome you are.

Prizes:
1st Prize: Award Image, Special Blooper Reel Strip
2nd Prize: Award Image, Cameo in Winner's Blooper Reel Strip
3rd Prize: Award Image

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:27 pm 
Gym Leader

When is everyone gonna be done with finals?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:39 am 
Shiny Shedinja

I'm not going to be done until Dec 19th, so either 21st - 27th or 28th - 3rd would work for me. The latter may be better since it's after Christmas, but it does run through New Years. I'm pretty flexible either way, honestly.

"Remember: Not only does crime not pay, but you don't get a health plan, either."
- Nick Brick, Lego Island

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm 
Mew

Well, I guess we'll go with the 28th - he 3rd.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:01 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

I mean...I'll be around, but this seems a bit like an exercise in futility. I think you could probably hand out prizes now with about the same accuracy. Maybe it would be a little more interesting if you reduced the number of awards, like with the forum awards?

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:14 pm 
Mew

That's a possibility. We'll see how many people participate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:20 am 
Mew

Details have been added to the first post! It starts Sunday!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:46 pm 
Mew

Back in the war, you know that one war in that one place, we had it tough, let me tell ya. Had to always watch out for enemy spies. You darn kids think talking is so simple. Well let me tell you that we had to speak in codes, like for Tuesday's theme. And we enjoyed it, gosh darn it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:51 am 
Articuno

I'm g0iNG t0 mi5$ a F3W D@y$ @5 I w0N'7 83 0nLiN3 if i'm n07 In w0rk, 8U7 I wILL pl@Y Wh3N i C@N!

Key: http://www.ypass.net/misc/haxor/index.php

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:46 pm 
Mew

Wednesday's theme has been added to the list. I really should describe it here but it's kind of complicated and all so I'm not even going to bother.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:49 am 
Articuno

Wow, I'm so amazing how I'm able to not miss today! Today's me is so much better than Wednesday me, as I'm not here on your wednesday!

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:06 pm 
Mew

.detsop neeb sah emeht s'yadsruhT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:49 pm 
Mew

Behold my greatness! Only one such as I could have possibly edited the first post in order to add Friday's theme in a brilliant feat of forum posting!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:56 am 
Mew

Like the sudden appearance of a mouse from its hole, the final day's theme has been added to the first post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:54 am 
Mew

Well, certainly wasn't an especially active WoR, but I hope everyone had fun. Now, for the rundown...

There were a lot of people who dropped in and made one or two posts during the week. And, while it was nice to see them, that's not enough to win. Shauni, meanwhile, was active for the first half of the week...but got her days mixed up so she really didn't get enough correct posts in to score any points. Not counting myself, that left three major players, Silver, Poik, and BFC.

Sunday: Talk Like a Cranky Old Man Day
Everyone had equally good posts, but Poik and BFC were a bit more active, so they tied for first and Silver got second.

Monday: Give Up Way Too Easily Day
Once again everyone did a decent bit of posting, but I felt that Poik edged ahead of the rest to take first. Silver and BFC tied for second.

Tuesday: Speak in Coded Messages Day
Poik completely dominated this day, though Silver had some good posts as well (even if I couldn't figure out a couple of the codes he used) and got second. BFC, meanwhile, went MIA for the rest of the week.

Wednesday: Tell Everyone How Awesome You Are Day
Apparently I'm so awesome that everyone else was too intimated to compete on this day.

Thursday: Constantly Change Your Mind Day
Poik made a few posts this day but he was the only one, other than me, so he easily got first.

Friday: Explain Everything in Metaphors Day
Like Wednesday, I was the only one posting.

Saturday: SUPER COMBO MIX-UP DAY
Silver made some pretty great posts in both styles, but he was the only one, other than me.

Final point totals...
20 – Poik
14 - Silver
8 – BFC

Due to the low activity, I'm going to only give out two prizes this year. Sorry BFC... If you'd posted on a couple more days I might have reconsidered.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next