It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: King of the Forums 2014
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm 
Mew

Well, KotF really livened things up last year, at least for a while. Let's see if it does the same this time around. KotF 2014 will run from Sunday Feb 16 - Monday Mar 17 (midnight to midnight, Eastern Standard Time).

At the end of that time, the people with the three highest scores will be awarded the titles of King, Prince, and Duke of the forums (or Queen, Princess, and Duchess) until next year and get their choice of one of the prizes available in their prize category. As always, all forums members who post during the contest, except me, are automatically entered.

The contest will be decided by score. Throughout the duration of the contest, all forum members will be awarded points for a variety of things. I'll keep track of these points and announce the highest scores at the end.

If anyone wants to volunteer to help me count posts, that'd be great. Basically, volunteers will be assigned certain sections or threads on the forums and must keep track of how many posts each member made in their area then PM me the numbers every day or two. Volunteers should make sure that they'll be available during the entire contest and will have the time and dedication to count posts and PM me the results on a daily or near daily basis. Naturally, since volunteers are still competing in the contest as well, I'll be checking up on their numbers from time to time to prevent cheating. Not that I expect anyone here to cheat, but anyone caught doing so will be automatically eliminated from the contest. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll get back to you.

Earning Points:
Posting in any non Game/RP thread = 1 point per post
Posting in RPs (the RP board, RP Battles board, ROM, and Portal Panic) = 2 points per post
Posting in Games (the Games board and The Thingy Game) = 1/2 point per post
Starting a new thread = 4 points + 1 point for every five posts made in that thread (doesn't matter who posts)
Getting a new person to join the forums = 10 points + 1 point for every five posts made by that new member
Winning a round of The Thingy Game = 3 points
Winning an Insult Sword Fight = 5 points
Winning an IPA battle against another forum member = 5 points
Winning Mafia When You`re the Mafia = 5 points
Winning Mafia When You`re Not the Mafia = 5 point
The Mafia Wins at Mafia When You`re the Narrator = 5 points (no cheating or blatant misleading allowed)
Being one of the first three people to get into The Club when the requirements change = 3 points
Winning the In The Club hangman game = 5 points
Special bonuses = ? points
Winning Special Challenges = ? points

For the thread bonuses and new member bonuses, these only count for new threads that are created during the contest and new members that join during the contest.

Special bonuses are awarded for completing mystery goals. As to what those goals are, they're a mystery. Some of the ones from previous years may return...and some won't. There could be new ones too. Possible bonuses MIGHT include things like posting in the Saying Hi thread every day or posting lots of art. The points awarded will vary depending on the goal. Note that I also tend to give bonus points to posts that I find particularly awesome (very interesting, very funny, etc.).

During the course of the contest I will also post several special challenges that you can compete in to earn large amounts of bonus points.

Finally, spam posts, posts that break the forum rules, flaming, and reviving old threads for 'me too' posts will not earn points and may even result in a loss of points. (However, reviving old threads for legitimate reasons, such as bringing back an old game or RP, are perfectly fine.) I will be monitoring not just the number, but also the quality of posts so spamming to up your post count is a VERY BAD idea.

Prizes are as follows.

1st Prize (King/Queen): Choice of one of the following + graphic for signature, special forum title, and Car Washer: Summer of the Ninja game and OST download:
Two printed and signed PV strips of your choice (mailed)
Cash prize ($25 mailed, paypaled, or donated to PV)
Short sprite comic series (6-10 strips) featuring the winner

2nd Prize (Prince/Princess): Choice of one of the following + graphic for signature and special forum title:
Cash prize ($15 mailed, paypaled, or donated to PV)
Printed and signed PV strip of your choice (mailed)
Very short sprite comic series featuring the winner (2-3 strips)
Downloadable copy of Car Washer: Summer of the Ninja + the OST

3rd Prize (Duke/Duchess): Choice of one of the following + graphic for signature and special forum title:
Cash prize ($5 mailed, paypaled, or donated to PV)
Single sprite comic featuring the winner
Downloadable copy of Car Washer: Summer of the Ninja

If you have any questions about the contest please post them here.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 pm 
Pokémon Legend

Aw Yiss. Let's go.

............ - Gender: Male; Type: Fighting, Flying; Abilities: Guts, Inner Focus; Attacks: Leech Life, Leer, Low Kick, Revenge. Level 15

Sudonette - Gender: Male; Type: Rock, Ghost; Abilities: Insomnia, Rock Head; Attacks: Knock Off, Copycat,Rock throw, Curse. level 5

Metarion(SDC) - Gender: Male; Type: Grass, Metal; Abilities: Shield Dust, Sturdy; Attacks: Metal Claw, Tackle, Mud-Slap, Headbutt. Level 8

Shieldyu(SDC) - Gender: Male; Type: Water, Ground; Abilities: Sturdy, Natural Cure; Attacks: Tackle, Protect, Rapid Spin, take down. Level 5

Lola - Gender: Female; Type: Psychic, Flying; Abilities: Inner Focus, Synchronize; Attacks: Teleport, Leech Life, Leer

Silver wrote:
I love you The n00b. You don't have to be jealous of actual n00bs. There's only room in my heart for you. I'm just... disappointed that you left me for so long. It was lonely... you promised you'd write to me, but you never did... the months passed by, and I still thought of you every day, but you never called. I never got any letters from you.

So eventually, I started to lose faith... I thought you had been killed in that terrible, terrible war. Or maybe that you had forgotten about me. It's been so long, you probably found another girl over there... I never stopped loving you, but I didn't think you cared about me anymore, so welcoming you back just would have been too painful for me... I'm sorry. I'm glad you've come back home *sniff*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm 
Mew

And KotF is over for another year. It was a fairly slow KotF, but I hope you guys still enjoyed it. Due to all the traveling and stuff, I can't say for sure when I'll get everything added up, but I'll try to have it done by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:12 am 
Mew

Well, there's no way around it, this was a pretty slow KotF. Marley and Poison were in pretty hot competition for the first week or two, but then he disappeared and things slowed down quite a bit and previous serious competitors like Saber and Stevenson were too busy with other things to participate. Anyway, the winners are...

The King of the Forums Contest 2014

Poison won the year by a large margin. Despite his disappearance, Marley managed second place, beating out Silver and, more distantly, Shauni who were the other somewhat serious participants. Full point totals are as follows:
447 – PoisonWing14
209.5 – Blastotoise
165.5 - Silver
160.5 – Josiah
69 – Shauni
21.5 - Stevenson
18 - Doodleshark
9 – Bioniclemandi121
7 – Xephershonen321
2 – Key2Dawn

Congrats to the winners! Let me know what you want for your prizes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 am 
Articuno

Oh well, never mind, at least I did not miss it this year. Congrats to the winners

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Aww, I didn't manage to beat out Marley. Eh, I kinda gave up too...

Anyways, isn't Poison a guy? Why's he a queen? That seems a bit silly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:38 pm 
Shiny Shedinja

A bit slow this year, but a good time none the less. Congratulations to the other winners!
As for my queen title, I obviously got it 'cause I'm fabulous. Also, I see it as not being too silly, despite some slight gender confusion. The queen is the most powerful of the chess pieces and is also a rather awesome band.

As for my choice of prize, I think I'll donate that $25 to PV.

"Remember: Not only does crime not pay, but you don't get a health plan, either."
- Nick Brick, Lego Island

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:18 am 
Articuno

You gotta admit Poison, your signature screams "girl"

"Duchess 2012", "Dudette 2013", "Queen 2014"

I gotta admit I think you are a girl.

"Shauni fell down a drainage ditch and died. That was the end of her pokemon journey. "--Shauni

Go to ROM the Comic

Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:26 pm 
Pokémon Master

Oh hell, I missed it this year.

Next time...

"Dobby never meant to kill, only to...maim. Or seriously injure."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:40 pm 
Mew

Why don't you hang around until then? Less chance of missing it that way ;-)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]