It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:45 pm 
Mew

It's time for the first KOTF bonus challenge! For this week's challenge I'd like for you to think of any one pokémon you like that hasn't appeared in PV yet. Write an essay (minimum one moderate length paragraph, no maximum) detailing why that pokémon should appear in the comic and who its trainer should be (it doesn't have to be Brendan or May, you can pick any trainer). Post your entry in this thread. This challenge is limited to one entry per person. You have through Saturday (the 10th). Entries will be judged on thoughtfullness, humor, and how much I enjoy reading them.

First Prize: 30 points
Second Prize: 20 points
Third Prize: 10 points

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:52 am 
Gym Leader

Question; does said pokemon have to be from the hoenn pokedex?

That spikes you when you pick it up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:08 pm 
Mew

No it does not. Pokémon from all generations are allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

I'm sure you're all expecting me to write about why Pidgeot should be in this comic. And yes, Pidgeot is indeed the most glorious, deserving Pokemon that one could possibly make a case for. But today I'll defy that expectation, turn things around, and stand up for one of the most unfortunate Pokemon of all time.

And that's Porygon. Poor little Porygon has suffered through his whole existence due to one major creation flaw: he is unable to fly. A Pokemon that can travel freely in cyberspace, and that many hoped would be useful for space travel, was never given the upgrade needed to allow it to fly. His evolved form, Porygon2, was given expansive updates to allow interplanetary travel - but he cannot fly. Porygon-Z, then, was created for traveling through alien dimensions, which he is completely incapable of... because he still can't fly. This Pokemon has been a disappointment in every aspect of his existence, simply because his programmers did not have the foresight to instal some kind of jet propulsion system. The emotional distress this Pokemon feels is overwhelming - and he can indeed feel emotions, because he was programmed to do so. Another act of abuse by his creators, as the only emotion he ever knows is sadness. Because of his continual failure, even within the games he appears in, the only way to befriend him is to gamble for him. He is sold on the black market, more or less - a rare Pokemon, but only because he was such a failure that there was no need to produce more.

Furthermore, due to an unfortunate incident wherein an episode of the Pokemon anime featuring Porygon caused hundreds of children to have sudden seizures, he has never appeared on television in any way since then. This was no fault of Porygon's - it was the animators responsible that caused the epileptic accident. And yet, Porygon is the only one to suffer from it. Because he was featured so heavily in this particular episode, his name has become synonymous with the Pokemon seizure fiasco. He sees no publicity whatsoever, be it in advertisements or posters or cartoons. No one loves Porygon, because of a silly accident that he did not cause.

Well, Pebble Version can change that. It's certainly not a prime-time appearance, but at the very least, inclusion in this comic can show him that we still love him. A slight glimmer of hope in Porygon's bleak existence. It doesn't matter who his trainer is; nay, every trainer should have a Porygon. We can help to spread the word of this Porygon abuse, and make the world a better place for Porygons to live in. I've even taken the liberty of allowing this to happen in a much more satisfying way: I've given Porygon a jetpack.

You're welcome, Porygon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:35 pm 
Pokémon Champion

*Reserved for later in week as i got much else to do before this :) *

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:37 pm 
Blaziken

Chimecho is an incredibly versatile creature. The Wind Chime Pokémon is my all-time favorite ‘mon, with Psychic for heavy hitting, Shadow Ball for those Ghost-types, Charge Beam for a side of Sp. Attack gain, and Calm Mind for charging up its Special stats (boosting all three of the above). It is also freaking adorable.

Seriously.

Back in Generation III, Chimecho was a powerhouse in the “Never Used” tier, fully capable of sweeping with Calm Mind buffing its Psychic attack. With several new Pokémon in Generation IV, Chimecho fell back and became more of a supporting member, with Heal Bell, Healing Wish, and assorted other moves. I don’t even battle competitively, but Chimecho’s merits in battle are fully apparent even to me. Besides, my Chimecho took on a friend’s Hydreigon. And won. Note the moveset at the top of this paper. Note how it can do very little damage to Hydreigon. Note how I won anyway. So how could a Pokémon of this caliber not have appeared in PV yet?

Simple: Chimecho’s kinda a recluse. Chills on a necropolis all day. Doesn’t pop up 98% of the time. You probably won’t even find one unless you know where to look. Even worse, there’s no getting it into the Pokédex to use the Location feature because no Trainers in the game have a Chimecho to see. Simply put, Brendan and May won’t be encountering one for a while. But when it appears, it could make an excellent addition to May’s team, which, although coming along nicely, includes both a Loudred and a Vigoroth; two similar Normal-types. Not only would Chimecho balance her team out, it provides her a nice counter to Brendan’s Combusken in case Marshtomp is out of the question.

And you know what? If, at some point, Brendan and May are too downtrodden to carry on, be it from defeat, or from true hopelessness... All they will need to do is look at it.
Are you comforted by this smile?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 pm 
Mew

Well, it seems we only have two entries...

First Place: Silver
Second Place: Blivsey

Silver gets the win for his amusing arguement and jetpack porygon sprite, but Blivsey had a very good entry as well. No one gets third prize, which would have been easy points.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:54 am 
Pokémon Champion

thought i had time to do an entry but school projects took more time then I expected to.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]