It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:59 am 
Egg

Location: In the computer in the banned Electric Soldier Porygon episode!
I just looked up PebbleVersion.com with Alexa. According to it, Pebble Version is in the top 5% of the internet based on loading speed. What is this site actually hosted on, and where is the actual server? Josiah's basement, with some kind of data-vortex connection? Oh, and the site is in the top 2 million websites (#2,036,854) and in Australia it is #23,489, if you were wondering. The server's good performance has been bugging me for a while :-) .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:31 am 
Mew

I've found Alexa data to be not entirely reliable in the past, but that's besides the point. I have Pebble Version (and all the sites I run) on a single account with Hosting Zoom. They're based out of Houston, Texas, so I assume the server is there. There have been a couple of problems in the past but I've been pretty happy with them overall, and they've proven far more reliable than any of my pasts hosts (there were a couple others I used years back, before switching to Hosting Zoom). I'll note that part of the reason PV loads fast, may be because it's a fairly simple site. There's no fancy fancy Javascript effects, Flash, or PHP database loading in the background (on the main site anyway, the forums are a different story) and not even any CSS (the site was designed before CSS became popular and the sheer number of pages has always deterred me from doing a redesign).

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm 
Egg

Oh, okay. I was kind of hoping it was the data-vortex connection in your basement :-P . I actually have a web server set up right next to my router. It's a Raspberry Pi. It can just barely run MediaWiki, but only cost US $35. Oh, and I just clicked on your link, and no longer feel any guilt about maybe using your bandwidth to crawl the archives ;-\ . On that note, if you need a certain page, I will probably have it and all its images and stuff. (But my system only crawls new and updated pages, so I've only downloaded the whole site once, don't worry.) Figured I might as well tell you that!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 pm 
Mew

Thanks, but I've got the whole site backed up in several ways, so it should hopefully never come to that.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 pm 
Egg

I mostly keep the offline copy in case that internet shutdown in Egypt happens again in the US. Or the Internet Apocalypse happens. Or a nuke takes out most communication lines. I also keep my computer in a grounded metal box, in case an EMP takes out all electronics. It's one of those things some people think Iran is considering doing, by detonating a nuke in the upper atmosphere and blanketing North America with electromagnetic radiation, causing everything to overload and burn out. Although now I'm getting seriously :offtopic: .