It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Filum Latini
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:39 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Which is to say, the Latin thread. Ask me about Latin! This includes common phrases or translations of words you come across.

I won't do homework though.

It may be a dead language, but it's still all over the place.

Also, this isn't technically language, but you can ask me about ancient literature here too, if you want, such as the Aeneid (which was written in Latin), the Iliad or the Odyssey (which provide context for the aforementioned so I've read them)

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: Filum Latini
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:24 pm 
Mew

Well, since you mention it... I have two additional trilogies planned that follow my Verities Silex series. The English names are Quest of Sealing and Truth Eternal. But if I want to keep with the theme of the first trilogy and Latinize those, what would good translations be?

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:28 pm 
Pokémon Legend

It depends on what you mean by truth eternal. Is that like, truth that lasts forever?

............ - Gender: Male; Type: Fighting, Flying; Abilities: Guts, Inner Focus; Attacks: Leech Life, Leer, Low Kick, Revenge. Level 15

Sudonette - Gender: Male; Type: Rock, Ghost; Abilities: Insomnia, Rock Head; Attacks: Knock Off, Copycat,Rock throw, Curse. level 5

Metarion(SDC) - Gender: Male; Type: Grass, Metal; Abilities: Shield Dust, Sturdy; Attacks: Metal Claw, Tackle, Mud-Slap, Headbutt. Level 8

Shieldyu(SDC) - Gender: Male; Type: Water, Ground; Abilities: Sturdy, Natural Cure; Attacks: Tackle, Protect, Rapid Spin, take down. Level 5

Lola - Gender: Female; Type: Psychic, Flying; Abilities: Inner Focus, Synchronize; Attacks: Teleport, Leech Life, Leer

Silver wrote:
I love you The n00b. You don't have to be jealous of actual n00bs. There's only room in my heart for you. I'm just... disappointed that you left me for so long. It was lonely... you promised you'd write to me, but you never did... the months passed by, and I still thought of you every day, but you never called. I never got any letters from you.

So eventually, I started to lose faith... I thought you had been killed in that terrible, terrible war. Or maybe that you had forgotten about me. It's been so long, you probably found another girl over there... I never stopped loving you, but I didn't think you cared about me anymore, so welcoming you back just would have been too painful for me... I'm sorry. I'm glad you've come back home *sniff*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:32 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Truth Eternal is easy--Veritas Aeturnus is a near literal translation.

As for Quest of Sealing, that one is harder...
Investigatio Obsignare literally translates to "A Quest to Seal", but it's kind of weird and you wouldn't want to use that construction because investigate is such a ubiquitous english word that has lost all connotations of questing.

Requirare Sigillo roughly translates to "To Quest for a Seal".

Do those help?

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:44 pm 
Mew

Yes on Veritas Aeturnus, not so much on the other since it's about a quest to seal something away.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 pm 
Pokémon Master

Are you by chance a fellow Greek and Romans Studies student?

"Dobby never meant to kill, only to...maim. Or seriously injure."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Alas, no, it's just an interest of mine, and my foreign language of choice.

I should specify that Sigillus is the type of seal like one puts on a letter or a leak.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage