It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intellectual Discussions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

I was thinking maybe this should go in the Unrated section, but I want more people to see this, and I don't expect the commentary to get inappropriate, so here goes.

I made this thread as a place for more lengthy and philosophical posts. As nice as RotRotSoSHtJ is, it's more of a brief update forum than a lengthy post about the nature of man forum, so...this.

The first post I wanted to make (and I have several--thinking of starting a proper blog, thought I'd try this first as a more open discussion) was in regards to the notion of ownership by the recipients of culture of the creator of that culture.

That's a terrible way to phrase it, so allow me to be more plain.

In this day of instant communication, the audience of anything, be it novels, webcomics, or youtube videos, seem to feel that they have the right to command the creator of the art they (the audience) enjoy so much. The best example would be people demanding that a novelist write more quickly, or that a internet video creator change something about their creating style (less yelling, for example), or fans demanding the ending to a video game be changed.

Now, it is truly said that no art exists in a vacuum, and no art should be created without an audience in mind, in my opinion anyway. But does that give the audience the right to claim ownership of the creative process?

I have more thoughts on this subject, but I'll save them for later. I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say about this, especially the many artists on this forum.

So, by all means; discuss.

{{Edit: of course, the very moment I hit submit I realize that this should of course go in the Writing section, as it's really more an editorial piece than anything else. If an obliging mod could move it there, I'd appreciate it.}}

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Is this only going to be the first of many potential discussions, though? I mean, if you intend for this thread to focus on the creative process exclusively, I'll move it. But if it's going to cover other topics as well, it's better suited here. Also, I could see this very discussion branching into a commentary on copyright laws, which makes more sense here than in the Writing or Art section.

I shall participate in this discussion... later. But it's late and I've got class tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 pm 
Mew

Quick post, since I'm at work. While a good "content creator" (so I don't have to type writer/game designer/film maker/etc. every time) should ideally pay attention to what his fans say and consider making adjustments accordingly, the answer is no, fans have no right to actually demand changes. If they don't like something they can "vote with their dollars" and all that but the content creator is the one making the thing and, as such, he is the ultimate authority on what it should be. Plus, to be perfectly blunt, the vast majority of fan suggestions are stupid. Not all of them by any means, but the majority (see just about any video game message board ever).

The only situation where fans could potentially have any ground to stand on here is with something paid for by crowd funding, since they're the ones who fronted the money for the project. And even then, there's that whole thing with most of their suggestions being stupid...

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:05 pm 
Pokémon Master

Sorry, unrelated, but where is this unrated section? I don't see it?

My tunes :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:49 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

You have to PM Josiah for access.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage