Older Windows 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Mac OS 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mac OS X 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Random Linux 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ubuntu Linux 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Other main-stream Linux 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dual OS 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I use any computer I can get! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have been brainwashed by Steve Jobs (may he rest in peace) to believe that Microsoft is Satan Incarnate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Comput'r? Ya mean a type'riter? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: What OS do you use?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:03 am 
Egg

Location: In the computer in the banned Electric Soldier Porygon episode!
Do you use a Mac?
Or a Linux machine?
Or maybe you are COMPLETELY ENSLAVED BY an avid user of Microsoft products?
Or a combination?

Post subject: Re: What OS do you use?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

...Where's the option for being brainwashed by Steve Jobs (may he rest in peace) to think that Microsoft is Satan Incarnate? Sounds like you should've picked that one.

Oh, and where's the option for perfectly happy with Windows? Having a Windows PC or Laptop doesn't make someone an avid Microsoft supporter, you know...

There are so many things wrong with this poll and I want to fix it, but I can't seem to edit the options.

EDIT: Ah, never mind, I can. Fixed it so it's now a valid poll. Here were the original options:

Windows - I'm trapped! Can't escape!
Windows - I could stop if I had to...
Mac OS - Old school
Mac OS X - Lovin' the Apple
Random Linux - It's free!
Ubuntu Linux - That's me!
Other main-stream Linux - It's also free!
Several different ones, one machine
I use any computer I can get!
Comput'r? Ya mean a type'riter?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:41 pm 
Mew

Yeah, have to say I'm with Silver here. Windows is a perfectly good OS (especially XP, Vista, and 7). It's fairly fast and stable and supports a much broader range of hardware, software, and customization than Mac OS. Not to mention that it's far more secure. Mac OS looks good, and it's easy to use (for the most part), and it's fine for basics (internet, word processing, etc) but if you do a lot of serious computer work and/or computering gaming it just doesn't cut it.

As for Linux, if you're a programmer or really love tweaking settings it's fun to play with but its hardware and software support are limited and even with the best GUI's it's not especially user friendly.

I've been using various versions of Windows for years (running 7 on my current laptop) and while I'm very knowledgable and experienced with it comes to computers and tech in general (I'm a game designer and could run my own repair and tech support business if I wanted to), I have no desire to switch to Mac or Linux, and not only because most of my stuff wouldn't run on them.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 pm 
Egg

Come on, you guys, Linux isn't hard to use. I'm using it right now to write this message!

Ubuntu Linux even has an installer for your Windows. You can even install Windows programs.

EDIT: What, you think this is not user friendly?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 pm 
Pokémon Master

Windows, for two reasons: familiarity and games.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Well... it's hard to say that Windows is more secure than the others. It's true that there's better virus protection software and firewalls available, but... there just aren't as many viruses designed to attack Mac or Linux. Because not as many people use them, and the people that do use them tend to be a but more knowledgeable about computers, fewer viruses are made.

Though, the Mac userbase becomes more and more casual by the day... not to mention that iPhone viruses are everywhere now. I expect to see a rise in Mac viruses as a result. Macs are nice, but as I'm not much of a digital artist or music composer, I have absolutely no need for one. Also, they're usually more expensive.

Nothing wrong with Linux, but... explain to me what the problem with Windows is? Why would I completely overhaul the entire system to do the exact same things I do now, except with lower compatibility because Windows is what most programs are designed to run with? It just seems pointless unless you're building a computer and intend to do heavy tinkering.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:15 pm 
Mew

On security... Mac OS and Linux are attacked less because they're less popular, but Windows has better built in security. Even without anything installed, base Windows is far more difficult to hack than base Mac OS or base Linux. At some point, with Macs becoming more popular, someone is going to write a nasty virus for them and do some serious damage.

On programs... Yes you can install some Windows programs in Linux by using various programs and work arounds. It doesn't work with everything and often doesn't work as well as running things on an actual Windows system.

On usability... I'll grant that the better Linux GUI's aren't too bad from a usability stand point...right up until something goes wrong. Anything that forces you to use a command line interface for serious trouble shooting is not very user friendly.

Overall, Mac doesn't have enough hardware and software compatibility for me and, while I admit that Apple makes some cool stuff, I absolutely hate their elitist attitude and the way they lock so much of their hardware and software down to prevent tweaks, upgrades, etc. For Linux, I agree with Silver. It's great if you're running a web server but for home computers it's less compatible than Windows and far more complicated. Unless you're on a shoe string budget, absolutely love extreme tinkering and command line interfaces, or hate Microsoft for no good reason, there isn't much of a point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:05 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

That's what I mean - there's more security options for Windows, but it's inherently a less secure system because there are more risks you take just by operating one. In that sense, it kinda cancels out. Running Linux or Mac is "secure" because you don't have to worry about viruses attacking you. But yeah, I think Mac's on the verge of losing that status.

Also...

I'll just leave this here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 am 
Shiny Shedinja

This computer I'm using was given to me by my not so computer savey parents, so of course they would get me Windows Vista.
Oh well...I remember playing "cool" computer games like 'Myst' on my dad's old Windows 95 way back then...even though I never did figure out how to advance through it...It looked pretty cool though, I'll give it that.
Oh, and those old Dr. Brain computer games like 'The Time Warp of Dr. Brain' and 'The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain'. Those were always fun...

Oh, we were talking about computers, weren't we? Sorry. Many good memories with those old computers though.

"Remember: Not only does crime not pay, but you don't get a health plan, either."
- Nick Brick, Lego Island

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 am 
Random Trainer

I was always a Windows user, but last year my courses required me to get a Mac. So, now I'm running OS Lion. I do have the Parallels application though, which allows me to run another operating system inside Mac...I just haven't figured out how to use it yet.

I'm kinda miffed that there are certain things I used to use that I can no longer use, but I gotta say Mac is very fast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:53 pm 
Mew

I'll note that speed tends to be more directly related to your hardware and what programs you have installed (primarily those that run on system start up and/or are always running in the background) than your OS.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:38 pm 
Random Trainer

That's true. It may just be that this Mac has a ton more memory than my PC did.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:01 pm 
Egg

Just a little tip for Windows users:

To speed up your computer a fair amount, click the Start/flag button, and then click "Run..." or inside the search box, and type "msconfig" without quotes. Click the "Startup" tab, and disable unneeded items (maybe Windows Messenger, or something that sneaked in). If you reboot, the unchecked items don't start. You will get a little message on your desktop unless you check the box and click OK. Just don't disable the Windows kernel, 'cause if you do, you're kinda screwed >-P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:14 pm 
Mew

As an addendum to that, if you're not sure what some items in the Startup tab are, Google them. Also, Windows is smart enough to re-ennable anything it can't run without.