It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Psychology Survey Thing.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:18 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

It's actually not my project, but a friends... but she needs help getting answers to these questions:

Chu wrote:
This year I am in Psychology and I have to a project where I have to survey 120 people. And this is a problem, since I don't have 120 people at my disposal. So if you could just answer these three questions for me, it would help me greatly. Please try to answer these as specific and detailed as you can, and if you answer the first question as no and why not, you don't have to answer the last two.

1. Do you listen to foreign music or watch foreign TV shows/movies? Why or why not?

2. Since starting, did you begin to learn more about the culture behind the language you were listening or watching? Why or why not and if you did, how did you learn more?

3. What language(s)? Why that language(s)?

If you get this before 10/4/10 and respond, then thank you! Talk to you later.

I said I'd post it up for my Internet buddies and hopefully get a few more answers. So, any takers?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:27 am 
Pokémon Legend

Sure thing!

1. Do you listen to foreign music or watch foreign TV shows/movies? Why or why not?
Yuppers! As long as I've got subtitles, why not watch a good show? And, for the music... I mean, if it's got a good sound. Foreign music has different styles that are nice to listen to other than just English stuff.

2. Since starting, did you begin to learn more about the culture behind the language you were listening or watching? Why or why not and if you did, how did you learn more?
Well, for Spanish music (which I only kind of listen to), I have Spanish class, so I learned whatever I learn in that class. I started listening to Hindi music after my friend gave me about 300 songs on CD... SInce then, I've learned to read Devanagari (language Hindi is written in), and I have a very basic understanding of the langauge. Learned what I learned from her Hindi books for 4 year olds as well as teh interwebz. I also just know more about culture from hanging at her house. I've seen a couple Bollywood movies over there.

Spanish, because of Spanish class. Hindi, because my friend is Indian and she introduced it to me, and the movies amuse me and they have good songs. And learning how to read/write the language seemed like fun. And they have good food. Yum.

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:05 pm 
Mew

Yes, I watch Japanese TV shows and listen to Japanese music. For the TV shows, they're well done and, in general, I find that their storylines are much more interesting and entertaining than the ones in most US shows. I started listening to the music because I liked the theme songs of a lot of the TV shows. It's mostly a sound thing.

Yes, although trying to learn about the culture or language solely through them would have led to some weird misunderstandings. I also studied Japanese in college (for multiple reasons) and I learned a lot more from that than from watching TV shows or listening to music.

Japanese, because I like Japanese video games, TV shows, and martial arts. Plus it's a useful language to know in my chosen field.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:55 pm 
Pokémon Master

I don't watch anime or foreign dramas. But I love music from any other country. J-Metal, for example, is one of my favorite sub-genres of heavy metal. Being a hard rocker got me into the types of rock from all over the world. I'm also a fan of French music and compositions.

Over time, I learned about the French and the Japanese. Being part Japanese and going there before, I learned a little bit about my heritage and fed my brain with knowledge of the country of Japan. As for France, I've always wanted to go there. By doing this, I took a class at my school and learned the French language and culture. My family vacationed there two summers ago, and it's the best way to learn about the French culture first-hand. As for the genre of J-metal, all I did basically was give one song a try and I already loved it.

I'm currently learning German and French right now. Typically because Germany happens to be my favorite European country and I have cousins who live there. French is because, well, I want to go to France one day.

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:05 pm 
Gym Leader

Yes. Other languages sound better in different types of music in my opinion. Also, I watched subbed animes, just like to listen to voices more.

A bit, mostly through friends who I found that were also interested in that culture or language. That and being on a huge campus with tons of cultural clubs that I just occasionally crash when I feel like it helps.

Hmm... I'm going to be honest, just about any language except Spanish. Although some of my favorites are German for techno, Latin for classical (go figure), French because of one of my online gaming sites, and Japanese just in general. Why that language(s), because English is boring. And why not Spanish? I don't know, I just don't like it. I like other languages that are very similar to Spanish, just not Spanish. I blame early language classes.

Swalectrode (Electric, Poison) Attacks: Yawn, Tackle, Sludge, Screech (Wins 5, Losses 0) Exp:30 Static&Liquid Ooze Status: Lost T.T

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:03 pm 
Pokémon Master

...Does American stuff count as foreign? [/Canadian]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:57 pm 
Random Trainer

Yep. I listen to Chinese oldies and Japanese music from various genres. I also watch anime, with subtitles if available, but I can tolerate raws. I've also seen a few foreign movies (Japanese, French, Iraqian?, Korean, to name a few that I can still remember). It doesn't particularly mean anything to me if something's in another language; if I like it and can understand it or find translations for it, that's good enough for me.

I'll need to break this into parts.
a) No, in regards to the Chinese stuff, because my parents were born in Taiwan and my maternal grandparents in China. Plus I've taken multiple trips to both Taiwan and China throughout my life. Those put together give me a good enough understanding of Chinese culture, so I don't get anything new out of listening to Chinese songs.
b) Most of the Japanese culture I know came from my three years of taking Japanese in high school. A few other random details came from watching anime/reading manga. So I suppose I did learn more, but not much, and I didn't get anything from music at all.
c) The foreign movies I've seen are few and far apart, and I don't recall seeing two from the same country within a reasonable time span. So no, I didn't learn anything, because I had nothing to compare them to.

Firstly, Chinese because my parents speak it, and their siblings speak it, and their parents speak it, and I suppose it's technically my first language because I learned to speak it before I learned English. I'm just better at English. Japanese...it was a bit backwards. I started getting curious about Japanese because of my eighth grade science teacher, who had a Japanese last name. Over the summer, my mom taught me some of the hiragana, and when I started ninth grade, I began taking Japanese. Only THEN did I find my interest in anime/manga.

Meh Siggy Site
And another one because they decreased the number of allotted pages on free sites

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 pm 
Random Trainer

1. Do you listen to foreign music or watch foreign TV shows/movies? Why or why not? Yes. I lisen to foreign music not cause I understand what they are saying but because I love the music. I think someone that can lisen to music and love it even when they don't know what it is about is truely a music lover. Do i watch foreign movies?Yes japanese ones. I always loved Japan so i watch movies from there.

2. Since starting, did you begin to learn more about the culture behind the language you were listening or watching? Why or why not and if you did, how did you learn more? Yes,I loved Japan and after watching some movies I wanted to learn more and more. I could never learn enough. I used the internet,books,friends anything and everything that told me more.

3. What language(s)? Why that language(s)? Japanese is the only one that i can think of watching. Why Japan? When I was little i watched a movie called Kikki's Delivery Service that movie was the first movie i ever saw that not only made me cry but gave me my dream. My dream to be a artist and writer. And that my friend is why i love Japan.

If you get this before 10/4/10 and respond, then thank you! Talk to you later.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ArtOfHeartStudio Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArtOfHeartStudi

DeviantART: http://kako-cakes.deviantart.com/ Official Website: http://www.artofheartstudio.wix.com/art ... lifeareone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:08 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Thanks to everyone who participated! Hopefully Chu will get a good grade on this project, huh? Well, It's done now anyway, so I'm-a lockin' the topic.

And thanks again, guys.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]