Sprite Avatars
Flaming Rock Thing Avatar
Code:
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1674/flamingrockthingavy.png

Ho-oh Pixel Over Avatar
Code:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9510/hoohpixeloveravatar.png

Updates
September 20, 2009-Changed the Layout of the Gallery completely. Added Ho-oh Pixel Over and Ho-oh Pixel Over avatar.

I'll upload more later, please Cn'C :3

Last edited by Triple Star Kirby on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: TSK's Gallery Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:11 pm 
Combusken

I'm not a spriter so I have nothing to say about the sprites.. xD I kind of suck at knowing what's good and what's not.
However I am a graphic designer! Yipee... so I can comment on your graphics/banners if you'd like. :< Although I know people who dislike criticism so maybe I'll keep my mouth shut...

Just one note: some of your banners have a great background that works well with the image, only to be ruined by your choice of font (either the typeface or the color). The text really affects the entire graphic A LOT... in any situation. Sometimes plain text is better than fancy text, but sometimes a few well-chosen effects can improve how the type looks too. (And everyone I tell this to seems to disagree with me until much later, but it's just a thought.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

And I can't really comment on the banners since I don't know much about making them (look pretty good to me, though for a few I can see Flora's point), but I do know a thing or two about spriting.

Looks like you have a good understanding of colors and outlining, but shading could use a bit of work. Like, the Bulbasaur revamps there... if I'm not msitaken, you just recolored them with the shading already used in the G/S sprites, right? That's not a bad start, but since the color palette's different in R/S/E and D/P/P style, you've got to try to match the way the shading's done for the best result. Here... these were my attempts at the same task from quite a while ago. They're not the best examples, but they should at least give you an idea of what I'm getting at.

Same goes for the Fountain. The idea's pretty cool, but it needs a bit of shading to make the water look more like... well, water. That effect can be tough, but if you model it after the overworld map water, I think you can make it look good.

Overall though, not bad. Look forward to seeing more from you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:51 pm 
Egg

Actually, Silver, I did shade them with the D/P colors...

And thanks for the tip, Flora.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:32 pm 
Random Trainer

What Silver meant was that your "revamps" are currently still more like "recolors." To truly turn your GS sprites into DP equivalents, you would have to adjust the shading method on them; GS used white for highlights and two shades for color, with the borders usually marked with zigzag pixels.
Bah, this is too hard to explain with just words. Silver, could you put a link up to TCoD's sprite tutorial? It takes far too long to do anything on the iPod Touch. >.I

Meh Siggy Site
And another one because they decreased the number of allotted pages on free sites

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:19 pm 
Egg

BionicleMandi121 wrote:
What Silver meant was that your "revamps" are currently still more like "recolors." To truly turn your GS sprites into DP equivalents, you would have to adjust the shading method on them; GS used white for highlights and two shades for color, with the borders usually marked with zigzag pixels.
Bah, this is too hard to explain with just words. Silver, could you put a link up to TCoD's sprite tutorial? It takes far too long to do anything on the iPod Touch. >.I

;-;

I did adjust the Shading Method on them.

And I use the TCoD's Sprite Tut already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:36 pm 
Combusken

Maybe you just need a little more practice. xD Compare and contrast the ones you make and some of Silver's and learn from him, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:54 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Hah... well, then it's just a matter of getting a better handle on dimensions. Keep in mind where the light source is. You want to base it off of whatever style you're going for, but also consider the pose... Like on the Gold Version Bulbasaur, the back leg should be a little bit darker because it's in the back. Meanwhile the face should be a little lighter, since it's... well, actually, I think the issue there is more outline shading than actual shading. G/S sprites didn't have a lot of that since the palettes were limited, but current gen sprites don't use neraly as much black for outlining.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:12 pm 
Egg

*Update*
Ho-oh Pixel-Over

Ho-oh Pixel-Over Avatar

Post subject: Re: TSK's Sprite Gallery
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:20 pm 
Pokémon Master

I like it. Impressive work, new member.

My tunes :-)