It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Because unbelievably this doesn't exist yet.

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend the Collection of Complete World Knowledge, a trilogy of almanacs of fake knowledge by John Hodgman. The first book is called colloquially The Areas of My Expertise, but the full title is An Almanac of Complete World Knowledge Compiled with Instructive Annotation and Arranged in Useful Order by myself, John Hodgman, a Professional Writer, in The Areas of My Expertise, which Include: Matters Historical, Matters Literary, Matters Cryptozoological, Hobo Matters, Food, Drink & Cheese (a Kind of Food), Squirrels & Lobsters & Eels, Haircuts, Utopia, What Will Happen in the Future, and Most Other Subjects. It is hilarious and, on a personal note, I take much of my humor sensibilities from Hodgman's work.

Go read it. If for no other reason, it has a list of 700 hobo names.

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Stevenson's Latin Phrase of the Week:

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:17 pm 
Mew

I don't even know where to begin here... Well, The Wheel of Time series recently wrapped up with a pretty epic and fitting conclusion. The premise is what has become epic fantasy cliche. Guy and friends grew up in a small village and suddenly find themselves on the run from monsters and involved in a struggle for the fate of the world with an ancient evil force threatening to break free from its prison. But it quickly pulls away from the cliche with a massive cast of interesting characters and layers upon layers of complexity and plot twists. If you like epic fantasy, or just want to give it a try, Wheel of Time is really one of the best series out there. Don't let the length deter you, it's worth the time it takes to read.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

If I recall though, the original author died before finishing the series?

Foment: (verb) To excite or arouse, i.e. 2014's Week of Randomness hopes to foment some activity on the forums.

Brutum Fulmen: (senseless thunderbolt) This phrase, coined by Pliny the elder, is used to refer to an empty threat.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 pm 
Mew

Yes. Sadly, Robert Jordan died before completing the series. But he left extensive notes about the rest of the story and his wife (also his editor) picked Brandon Sanderson (another favorite author of mine) to write the remaining books and he did a really good job.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:15 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

I see. How many books is it?

((I know I'm a dummy and could just google it but I don't feel like it when I'm having this lovely conversation here.))

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:30 am 
Pokémon Legend

I'm personally very fond of the Halo book series. The ones written by Eric Nylund are exceptionally good, and the newer ones are pretty great too. It's an excellent exposition on the universe outside of the games (The Halo expanded universe is pretty large).

I also recommend the "Precy Jackson and the Olypians" series. It's starts off as what seems like a Harry Potter clone but makes a name for itself rather quickly.

............ - Gender: Male; Type: Fighting, Flying; Abilities: Guts, Inner Focus; Attacks: Leech Life, Leer, Low Kick, Revenge. Level 15

Sudonette - Gender: Male; Type: Rock, Ghost; Abilities: Insomnia, Rock Head; Attacks: Knock Off, Copycat,Rock throw, Curse. level 5

Metarion(SDC) - Gender: Male; Type: Grass, Metal; Abilities: Shield Dust, Sturdy; Attacks: Metal Claw, Tackle, Mud-Slap, Headbutt. Level 8

Shieldyu(SDC) - Gender: Male; Type: Water, Ground; Abilities: Sturdy, Natural Cure; Attacks: Tackle, Protect, Rapid Spin, take down. Level 5

Lola - Gender: Female; Type: Psychic, Flying; Abilities: Inner Focus, Synchronize; Attacks: Teleport, Leech Life, Leer

Silver wrote:
I love you The n00b. You don't have to be jealous of actual n00bs. There's only room in my heart for you. I'm just... disappointed that you left me for so long. It was lonely... you promised you'd write to me, but you never did... the months passed by, and I still thought of you every day, but you never called. I never got any letters from you.

So eventually, I started to lose faith... I thought you had been killed in that terrible, terrible war. Or maybe that you had forgotten about me. It's been so long, you probably found another girl over there... I never stopped loving you, but I didn't think you cared about me anymore, so welcoming you back just would have been too painful for me... I'm sorry. I'm glad you've come back home *sniff*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:32 am 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Yeah, the Percy Jackson books are pretty good. What are your thoughts on...I don't even know what it's called. Rick Riordan's other series. The one starting with Red Pyramid.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:36 am 
Pokémon Legend

I really liked the first one (there were several references to the other series, and they definitely take place in the same universe.) It seems to follow the same pattern of "sorry if you thought that was the final boss", but the main characters are pretty different. I've only been able to read the first one.

I would love it if he decided to make a Norse god series, then combine all three and make aliens attack. That would be so dope.

............ - Gender: Male; Type: Fighting, Flying; Abilities: Guts, Inner Focus; Attacks: Leech Life, Leer, Low Kick, Revenge. Level 15

Sudonette - Gender: Male; Type: Rock, Ghost; Abilities: Insomnia, Rock Head; Attacks: Knock Off, Copycat,Rock throw, Curse. level 5

Metarion(SDC) - Gender: Male; Type: Grass, Metal; Abilities: Shield Dust, Sturdy; Attacks: Metal Claw, Tackle, Mud-Slap, Headbutt. Level 8

Shieldyu(SDC) - Gender: Male; Type: Water, Ground; Abilities: Sturdy, Natural Cure; Attacks: Tackle, Protect, Rapid Spin, take down. Level 5

Lola - Gender: Female; Type: Psychic, Flying; Abilities: Inner Focus, Synchronize; Attacks: Teleport, Leech Life, Leer

Silver wrote:
I love you The n00b. You don't have to be jealous of actual n00bs. There's only room in my heart for you. I'm just... disappointed that you left me for so long. It was lonely... you promised you'd write to me, but you never did... the months passed by, and I still thought of you every day, but you never called. I never got any letters from you.

So eventually, I started to lose faith... I thought you had been killed in that terrible, terrible war. Or maybe that you had forgotten about me. It's been so long, you probably found another girl over there... I never stopped loving you, but I didn't think you cared about me anymore, so welcoming you back just would have been too painful for me... I'm sorry. I'm glad you've come back home *sniff*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:25 pm 
Mew

The Wheel of Time series is 14 volumes.

Riordan's Can Chronicles series isn't bad. Not quite as good as Percy Jackson, in my opinion. But if you like PJ it's worth a read. It's more or less the same thing but with Egyptian mythology.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:41 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Sorry for derailing your book thread with movies, but since you're talking about Percy Jackson I figured I'd bring it up.

You guys remember that abomination of a movie that was supposedly based on Percy Jackson? You guys remember that, right? Apparently, they're making a sequel. It'll be out this summer. And what I want to know is WHYYYY the first one SUCKED and exactly NO ONE LIKED IT. Also HOW you completely BUTCHERED the story and the sequel will be FULL OF PLOT HOLES.

Just thought I'd share.

Yeah, I liked the Percy Jackson books. Haven't read any of Riordan's other series though. I've been meaning too, but I don't even have time to read the stuff I'm supposed to read for school.

I've been slowly working my way through Good Omens though. Well, I was before school started, anyway... was hoping to have it done by December 21st, but no such luck, unfortunately. I'm only about halfway through, but I've been enjoying that one so far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 pm 
Mew

I read Good Omens way back, it's not bad.

As for the reason they're making another Percy Jackson movie... It's because it made money, of course. I blame everyone who went to see it (I didn't). But yeah, there are very few movie adaptations of books that I actually like. A Series of Unfortunate Events, Dune (the Sci-Fi Channel version), Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, some assorted Disney movies...I think that's about it.

Oh, speaking of which, if anyone hasn't read Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, you really should. It's about a trio of orphans who go to live with a guardian after their family's house burns down. Unfortunate things happen. Very unfortuante. It's actually really depressing if you stock to think about it, but that gets pushed aside by the humor, which is a mix of dark jokes, wry humor, and unusual uses of vocabulary.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:45 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

I totally forgot I gave you that book, Silver. Glad you're kind of enjoying it.

I dunno, I remember reading the Series of Unfortunate Events and not really being able to get in to it. Was that wrong, did I not give it a fair shot, should I try again? I know my girlfriend owns them all, so I could access them at any time.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:06 pm 
Mew

Not sure how far you read. I will say that they're not for everyone. That said, it's an excellent series and if you can't remember much I'd recommend giving it another try.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 pm 
Shiny Wobbuffet Prince

Okay, another recommendation:

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. It's a victorian travelogue that tells the story of, well, three men and a dog on a trip up the Thames, with many many asides and tangents. It's still quite humorous today, and you can draw several parallels to today's society even. Worth a read, for certain.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage