It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:04 am 
Egg

Location: In the computer in the banned Electric Soldier Porygon episode!
So, I've been playing Minecraft, and thinking about Pokemon. And then it hit me:
An app (it'll be for Android) that generates random Pokemon regions and lets you do stuff like in a normal Pokemon game. The graphics will be taken from the Pokemon games, so the view will be from above the player. And you will probably see entire routes onscreen at once, or at least sections of routes. There would be some editing allowed of course, sort of like making secret bases in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. So far I have the title screen and main menu, 'cause they're mostly buttons without much code.

So, what do you all think? The game would be free (copyright issues) with an add-on app you could buy to support the project (the add-on would give you some Master Balls or something).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:03 pm 
Mew

It's a potentially interesting idea, though random level generation tends to annoy me 9 times out of 10. Though before you go an invest a lot of time into this I'd like to point out that there's a 99% chance that Nintendo would shut it down pretty quickly.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 pm 
Egg

There's a 100 percent chance that it'll not be on the Google Play store, cause that requires a developer subscription. I have found a third-party app store that works great (http://slideme.org/) and I could always just have the actual .apk app installer on a site somewhere. When a person loads the app, the splash screen has the following text:
This app is considered Fair Use by the developer. Not endorsed or approved by The Pokemon Company International, Nintendo, Game Freak, or Creatures Inc. Characters and Pokemon referenced or displayed are copyright 1996-2012 by the above companies. Any similarities to a game with a title with the word Mine are denied, but true! Also, if Nintendo ever releases something like this app, I'm sure it'll be a huge success, and they can totally steal the idea back from me.
So, I think that should be enough. I'm not really competing with them or anything, and it's their fault they haven't listened to the community and made a multiplayer game. Plus, they probably won't find out about it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:58 pm 
Mew

Having studied what constitutes Fair Use back in college, I'd say that probably wouldn't protect you if Nintendo decided to do something about it, since it's not a parody, would be using a significant portion of the games' assets and is, in a way, directly competing with the official Pokémon games. Just as a friendly warning.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:58 am 
Egg

Well, maybe I'll only upload it to the forums, and hope Nintendo doesn't call you!

Just kidding!

I really want to take on the challenge of procedurally generated maps, using only tiles from the actual games. But it'll probably have multiplayer, with the ability for user-made servers. So if I finish it, there could be a PV server! And before you ask, the servers will be on Google AppEngine.

EDIT: That was weird, I had to click Refresh a couple times to get the server to accept my request. It kept denying me a connection, but everything else on the Web worked.