It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nuzlocke Challange
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am 
Pokémon Champion

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge

Been thinking of doing this. Problem is I'm in debate on what gen (and game if it's gen 3 or 4) to do this on.

I think I've decided on what the optional rules will probably be.

Anyway, anyone else heard of this challange and if so, how did it go if you've done it.

Post subject: Re: Nuzlocke Challange
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:12 am 
Egg

i did it on my platinum without realizing it. started with turtwig (favorite starter of the region) adn ended up with a team of torterra, staraptor, luxray, floatzel, machamp(traded back and forth when it evolved), and kricketune i went through the game only with those pokemon. i got to fantina when kricketune decided to take a fall. i instantly released him after the battle and caught a cherubi in his place. the cherubi didnt last long and fainted 2 battles later. i released it and caught a shellos(pink). this team lasted me until the elite 4 when my machamp, floatzel, and gastrodon went down on cynthia (damn spiritomb had wonder guard). my staraptor, torterra, and luxray managed to pull through thanks to gastrodon though (got in a toxic and spiritomb was poisoned, did this 3 times! cynthia full restored him twice). garchomp went down by my torterra using earthquake and lucario went down with ice fang from luxray. i regretted it but i released gastrodon, machamp, and floatzel after the battle and got a bibarel, shellos(blue(i counted it as a different species)), and chatot from my PC. this team served me through the entire battle frontier(minus battle factory) up till i challenged the battle tower the eigth time when staraptor took a fall. i didnt release staraptor but i transferred him to my black. in his place i put a gible which grew to destroy the battle frontier on its own. of my original team my torterra(named turtle) and my luxray(named surge) remained.

nicknames of all pokemon i used
torterra=turtle
staraptor=ace
luxray=surge
floatzel=otto
machamp=flex
kricketune=vio
cherubi=flora
gastrodon(pink)=slugger
bibarel=chomp
gastrodon(blue)=gastro
chatot=mimic
garchomp=sandshark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 pm 
Combusken

I started on this challenge on Emerald, but because of school, I haven't finished it yet. If I remember correctly, I was on my way to the sixth Gym.
It went pretty well for me, in my opinion, although I was kind of depressed when my first (and so far, only) Pokemon "died". It was my Swalot, Omnommer. I didn't care much for him at first, but after training him for a while, I grew kind of fond of him.
Then he fell to a critical hit in Norman's Gym.
Yeah, it's easy to keep Pokemon from dying until the game throws a critical hit at you. I didn't release him, but I perma-boxed him in the PC.

But anyway, I personally would go for 4th generation, mainly because of the physical-special split. The only reason why I didn't is because I didn't want to restart my 4th generation games.
But if you like the plot of the 3rd Generation games more, then by all means, go ahead with 3rd generation. I'd like to think both generations have their ups and downs.
Oh, and if you want to know more about other people's Nuzlockes experiences, I could probably recommend some Nuzlocke comics to you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 am 
Blaziken Level 100

I have heard of this, I read a few comics, it sure looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I have the guts to be able to something like this, at least not yet anyway. I think it is pretty cool idea anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:05 pm 
Combusken

I did this back in HeartGold.

IT TAKES PRACTICE.

Wisdom is not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Ah yes, Nuzlocke. I've been planning on doing one for a long time now, but still have yet to start it... Gonna do it in Pearl, but first I want to finish my current playthrough. And by "finish" I mean "catch ALL the legendaries" and by that I mean "Giratina" and by that I mean "Go through that ridiculous cave". Which I have been putting off for quite a while. I don't think I'd be able to release a Pokemon if I'd spent hours grinding it though... I've seen people create a box called "Heaven" and leave them in there permanently though. I'd probably use that method, even if it is kinda wimpy, so I can look back with fondness at all the things I'd killed.

I challenged Colly to a Nuzlocke race, too, but I think she chickened out. I was gonna Nuzlocke Red using Charmander, and let her have Blue with Squirtle. Sounds fun, right? Yeah. But we haven't started that yet either...

Anyways. Nuzlockes seem like a lot of fun and definitely add replay value. Apparently, they're kind of a "Right of passage" sort of thing in the competitive community these days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:28 pm 
Pokémon Champion

Ya, I'm almost leaning towards Gen II.

What I'm wonder about is fishing. Does it still hold true for the one fish per route?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:22 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Yeah, it's one Pokemon per route, doesn't matter how you get it. It's useful for towns though; you know, those towns that have ponds in them but no grass? You can go back and fish there. The first Pokemon you find is the first Pokemon you find.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 am 
Pokémon Champion

Will probably do my first Challange on Pokemon Yellow and see how that goes. Will have to be careful with Pikachu.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:55 pm 
Pokémon Legend

I started a Nuzlocke run with Fire Red... if I recall, I had just beaten the Vermillion gym when I got distracted by something shiny.

I remember that I caught a Diglett and got so excited... until it got crit'd in its first battle T_T

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:21 pm 
Mew

I've never tried one. It could be fun, and it'd certainly be challenging, but at this point I just don't have the time.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 am 
Pokémon Champion

I've decided to start with Ruby since getting my hands on a 2nd copy of Yellow is not as easy as I'd hoped it would be.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:53 pm 
Egg

i am starting a nuzlocke challenge TODAY in my crystal version. it is an emulator so i can play at 2-3000% speed. i am starting with cyndaquil (as i ALWAYS do in my jhoto games). but what i'm concerned about is wheter it could be called cheating if i set the time to night in hopes that hoothoot would be my 2nd pokemon (i think noctowl is a great pokemon). i will not postpone my challenge i will start right away but i just wanted someone's opinion on that. and there is the issue of not getting pokeballs until you talk to Oak... does the challenge start before or after recieving pokeballs? just wanted opinions thanks four your future inputs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:15 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

It starts instantly. Whatever the first Pokemon you encounter is, that's the only one you can catch, whether you have the Pokeballs to do so or not.

Don't think it really matters when you start, but... the whole idea is to not manipulate your team at all. You take what you get and you work with it. And through that, you might find Pokemon that you otherwise never would have used are actually pretty good. Giving them nicknames creates a tighter emotional bond, all that. So specifically trying to get a certain kind of Pokemon, while not against the standard Nuzlocke rules, just isn't what the challenge is all about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 pm 
Pokémon Champion

Ya, my current Ruby game has had one lone loss thus far and only thing I've really done is activated the no duplicate rule. Did it cause in ruby you can encounter the same pokemon first on the first three routes. But ya, other then that, just doing some grinding and almost rdy for 3rd gym. Just getting an Odish trained up some.