It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:56 pm 
Combusken

That's right. Battle Frontier. I don't really have time to prepare a team for competitive battling, let alone participate in battles, so I decided to take on the Battle Frontier instead. I've never tried the Generation III Battle Frontier, so I'm pretty new to this. Therefore, I'd like to hear your comments about my team.

Umbreon
Nature: Sassy
Held Item: Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Stats (at level 50)
-Attack: 78
-Defense: 122
-Special Attack: 66
-Special Defense: 182
-Speed: 76
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
Moves
-Curse
-Wish
-Payback
-Baton Pass
My own comments: Umbreon had always been a favorite of mine, so I was really disappointed when it wasn't that great of a fighter back in the GSC days. However, I'm very pleased with my Umbreon in Platinum. Prior to obtaining my Salamence, I used this guy as my lead for Battle Frontier challenges, and he proved to be a handy Pokemon to have around, especially after he single handedly defeated the Arcade Star (Silver Print challenge). Though his Defense is considerably lower than his Special Defense, Curse makes up for it. Wish is a bit risky if I get the timing wrong, but I decided to choose it over Moonlight simply because it is effective in any weather condition and heal a party member should I decide to switch Pokemon. Payback takes advantage of Umbreon's low Speed and Curse's Attack boost and Speed decrease. Even against an opponent that resists Dark attacks or has high defense, Umbreon's Curse-Payback combo allows it to deal heavy damage on opponents. For a while, I couldn't choose between Baton Pass and Protect, as Protect ensured a heal from Wish. In the end, I went along with Baton Pass, and I have never regretted that decision. Baton Pass allows me to switch another Pokemon in safely, as well as pass on the Curse boost. Leftovers is just there to make Umbreon last longer and nullify any damage taken from weather conditions or trap moves.

Umbreon's main problem is Steel-types. The combination of type resistance and high Defense makes it nearly impossible for Umbreon to win a battle against Steel Pokemon.

Weavile
Nature: Jolly
Held Item:
Ability: Pressure
Stats (at level 50)
-Attack: 170
-Defense: 72
-Special Attack: 49
-Special Defense: 91
-Speed: 185
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Moves
-Brick Break
-Night Slash
-Ice Punch
My own comments: I know that on a team of three, it's generally a bad idea to keep two Pokemon of the same type on the team, but I couldn't help it. Weavile is just such a great Pokemon; with its high Attack and Speed, it makes an ideal Dragon counter. Night Slash and Ice Punch are there as STAB attacks and all-around great type coverage, and Brick Break allows Weavile, unlike Umbreon, to attack Steel-types with ease as well as take down Tyranitar.
Weavile, of course, is pretty much a goner if he can't OHKO his opponents. Pokemon such as Metagross and Brozong are particularly annoying, as the former can withstand Weavile's attacks before beating him down, thanks to Weavile's low defensive stats. Likewise, Brozong can usually take a hit from Weavile before utterly destorying him with Gyro Ball.

You'll notice that I've only listed three moves for this guy. That's because I've been using this Weavile to catch roaming Pokemon, and now that I'm done weakening them with False Swipe, I'm planning to replace False Swipe with another move. I'm not sure what, though. Any suggestions?

Salamence
Nature: Adamant
Held Item:
Ability: Intimidate
Stats (at level 50)
-Attack: 198
-Defense: 100
-Special Attack: 125
-Special Defense: 94
-Speed: 133
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 Sp. Atk / 156 Speed
Moves
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower
My own comments: This guy is new on the team, so I haven't used him much yet. The spot had originally belonged to filler Pokemon, but now that I've EV trained a Salamence, I decided to let him take this position. I'm considering making this guy my lead.
Dragon Dance, of course, boosts Salamence's sweeping potential while Dragon Claw is a reliable STAB move. Earthquake should be a given. Now before EV-training, I had a hard time deciding between Flamethrower and Stone Edge. Stone Edge would be stronger, but in the end, I couldn't overlook its low accuracy and went with Flamethrower instead. Flamethrower gives Salamence some protection against Ice and Steel types, but other than that, I generally stick with Dragon Claw and Earthquake.

Well, as I've only did a test run with this Salamence, I'm not too sure about his weak points. Ice moves are definitely a problem, though; even one as weak as Icy Wind can come close to knocking out Salamence.

So what I want to know is if there are any glaring weaknesses in this team. As of now, I'm quite satisfied with it, but I'd still like to hear other people's suggestions. I'd hate to get all the way up to the Gold Print challenge, only to lose because of my choice of Pokemon. I also am unsure about which items to give to Weavile and Salamence. Life Orb is a tempting choice, but it would work well for either Pokemon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:35 pm 
Pokémon Master

Pretty solid team, Faustgy. I haven't played any Pokemon in a while, though I need to add, a Mixed Gross will cripple your team (Explosion on Umbreon, Bullet Punch on Weavile, Meteor Mash or Ice Punch on Salamence, etc.) I would put in an offensive Bronzong to take hits for both Weavile and Umbreon. I'll look up into Serebii if I have any further suggestions later.

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:18 pm 
Combusken

Mixed Gross, huh? I suppose I could always sacrifice my Umbreon for a greater cause...
...Or maybe not. I think several of my Umbreon-loving friends would maul me if I did something like that. But thanks. I didn't even think of Mixed Gross. I'm personally not a big fan of Bronzong, but I'll take your suggestion into consideration. I've been looking for other Pokemon to use as alternatives anyway.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]