It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
Pokémon Master

I was only thinking, due to all the hype in this forum about the 5th Generation. We could perhaps celebrate our interest in the franchise by holding an official Pokemon tournament in this forum. Seeing as though about 80% of this place loves Pokemon, and everybody is "OMG" over Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. That and the fact PVF hasn't had a single battle in at least 3 years.

Just post if you have interest in this idea. If enough people like this idea, Josiah will takeover.

Also, my ideas for rules so far:

- Voice chat off
- Level 100 Wifi Single Battles only
- Two legendaries at max
- Eligible games are: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver
- Six Pokemon on each team

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:19 pm 
Pokémon Master

White_Samurai wrote:
- Two legendaries at max
No legends. Ever.

My tunes :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:48 pm 
Pokémon Master

Cheezdude wrote:
White_Samurai wrote:
- Two legendaries at max
No legends. Ever.

Okay, I guess you can recommend that.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:00 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

Yeah, he just did... it's not like you could tell him he couldn't after he already posted it.

Anyway, not really picky on legends or no, as I've got a few I could use but quite a few non-legends that could fill their spot. Just... if we ban legends, I say pseudo-legends go too. I find myself surrounded by Pokemon n00bs that say legendaries are cheap but then use like, Dragonite, Tyrannitar, Salamence, Metagross, and Gabite. Yeah, 'cause there's a really big difference, guys. They still place in the 00ber tier y'know... I don't mind legendary use, for what it's worth; as long as everyone's got the same limits, legendaries can add something interesting. But can we not pretend like Gabite is weaker? It really isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:16 pm 
Pokémon Master

Silver wrote:
Yeah, he just did... it's not like you could tell him he couldn't after he already posted it.

Anyway, not really picky on legends or no, as I've got a few I could use but quite a few non-legends that could fill their spot. Just... if we ban legends, I say pseudo-legends go too. I find myself surrounded by Pokemon n00bs that say legendaries are cheap but then use like, Dragonite, Tyrannitar, Salamence, Metagross, and Gabite. Yeah, 'cause there's a really big difference, guys. They still place in the 00ber tier y'know... I don't mind legendary use, for what it's worth; as long as everyone's got the same limits, legendaries can add something interesting. But can we not pretend like Gabite is weaker? It really isn't.

Gabite? You probably mean Garchomp. In which according to Smogon, the competitive Pokemon website, Garchomp is uber. How are Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, etc are uber? They're much easier to kill than most other legendaries.

Legendaries which aren't really broken include Zapdos, Entei, Shaymin, and Regice are all OU or below. But we can either play this tournament competitive or not. I was only recommending, Josiah will probably be the one truly in charge if we get enough support.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:01 am 
Mew

If we do have a tournament, I'll compete, of course.

As for rules... I don't mind using legendaries though I do thinking having a cap on the number of them per team isn't a bad idea. One or two probably. And, speaking of legendaries, I never considered mew (the only one I use) to be "broken" either. I really haven't gone up against the non-legendary "ubers" enough to have an opinion on them one way or the other. Sure Garchomp is strong, but my Starmie could one shot it and Wobbeffet depends on how good you are at guessing what type of move your opponent is going to use. As for the other ones Silver mentioned, I never thought Dragonite was all the incredible. Salamence, Tyrannitar, and Metagross can be fairly nasty but not ridiculous, at least not from my experience.

Also, I see no reason to have a rule relating to voice chat. If people want voice chat, there's no harm in it just like there's no harm in having it off.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:33 pm 
Pokémon Master

Yanmega gogogo I'm in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:58 am 
Gym Leader

I'd be in for it.

As for uber pokemon like Dragonite and Garchomp, they normally pay for their high stats by having quad weaknesses, both Dragonite and Garchomp are really weak to ice attacks. I know, having a partner who obsessively breeds multiple Garchomp and other uber and one of his friends who specializes in dragon-types (Dragonite evolutions particularly) tend to help with remembering what their weak against and remind me to keep a good ice hitter around, (Namely Lapras, but I Glaceon too).

That spikes you when you pick it up

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:19 pm 
Pokémon Master

Garchomp is more on the uber side compared to Dragonite. Due to Garchomp's fact he can outspeed every other dragon-type in the metagame. I would ban Garchomp but I'd keep Dragonite in, just because Dragonite's not very powerful compared to the other dragon-types.

Trophy Case:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:55 pm 
Gym Leader

I'm in and since I give up on trying to understand you guys arguing/discussing the 'ubers' and such, I'll just use my regular team, 4-5 normal pokemon you catch and my starter.
I'll probably have voice chat on, unless I'm not feeling well or loud things are happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:48 am 
Pokémon Master

Outrage + Swords Dance + Salac Berry is what pushes it into Ubers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:56 am 
Gym Leader

Kaida wrote:
Namely Lapras, but I Glaceon too.
You, ma'am, are accepted into the guild :clap:
I'm having troubles getting diamond to connect :( Sad because that was the one I had a team set up to battle with :/
So I"m using HG and plan on using my game team...
Can I use these 6 as my team?
Typhlosion(85), Pidgeot(80), Glaceon(85), Dragonite(85), Quagsire(80) and Ampharos(80)? Or do I need to get rid of the Dragonite? They all have moves they can learn... normally... >> I don't hack my team XD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:56 am 
Egg

No. Dragonite only specializes in attack and will lose against any ice or dragon type.
How about Spiritomb? It is dark/ghost and basically has no weakness. psychic has no effect and fighting has no effect, dark does normal since dark cancels and ghost boosts. ghost attacks are also normal effect.

If anyone uses Spiritomb effectively, they could actually win the whole tournament... with the right team anyway...

I use spiritomb in my team so i was just wondering.. (I don't think i'll be participating since my wifi died)

Are shiny pokemon allowed (not that shiny has an effect on stats. and don't answer as this is a rhetorical question.)?

My team consists of:

Spiritomb, Gyarados, Blissey, Infernape, Torterra, and Empoleon.
All Lv.100 and most of them are shiny and all of them have pokerus... actually two of them are immune now...
Let me check again...
okay, so I changed my team for the ones that do not have pokerus...

Spiritomb, Garchomp, Blissey, Infernape, Torterra, Empoleon
I changed Gyarados to Garchomp because I don't need another water type.

anyways... i'm not really gonna join so don't bother arguing with me.

on another note: UBERS
Garchomp or Garchamp (however you spell/pronounce that)
Spiritomb(a lot of my friends say it is)
Tyrannitar (although I say it is weak)
Magmortar (I'm not sure why, but my friend told me to put it in)
Most Dragon and Dark Pokemon...

I've heard some say that Umbreon is a semi-Uber but i personally think it's not.

Spiritomb is dark and since Dark types tend to have the best stats/EVs... it's considered to be an uber...
A pokemon with high stats and minimal weaknesses is uber. 'cept there aren't many of those.

Lewis's favourite games: Pokemon Black (Korean Version.), Pokemon White(Korean version.), Pokemon HG, Pokemon SS, Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Pearl, Pokemon Diamond, Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Silver, Pokemon RBYG, Pokemon FR/LG/LY/HB, and all hacked versions of pokemon, zelda games, Final Fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts games, Mario games, and most nintendo games...
Louis's favourite games: Chess, Backgammon, Poker, Mahjong, Baduk/Go, Shogi/Japanese Chess, Omok, Othello/Apple, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Monopoly, Operation, Pokemon The board game (haha, this is so 10 years ago), Trading Card games, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, Call of Duty, Sudden Attack, Counter Strike, All RTS and All FPS games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 am 
Mew

This thread really should have been locked a long time ago, sorry.

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]