It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:32 pm 
Mew

I'd like some proof, but that would be pretty convenient if it's true. It'd nice if I could EV train my current level 100 Pokémon since I don't have much of a desire to start over from scratch (that'd take way too long).

My signature site. Because ripping off Silver's ideas is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:34 pm 
Gym Leader

Silver wrote:
Wait, really? Pics or it didn't happen.

Er... I guess that's cool and all, but now I have to wonder... if I EV train a level 100 Pokemon (like, say, that Arceus they gave out) in a fourth gen game, then transfer it to B/W... would it magically gain EVs somehow? That would be kinda weird...

No, you only gain EV in 5th gen at level 100.
As for proof...I'd say this:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values#Generation_V
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85403

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:41 pm 
Blaziken

Well what do you know. That's actually pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 am 
Mew

No kidding. I didn't really care about EVs back when training my battle team and since then I never wanted to invest the massive amount of time required to level another full team up to 100. But reseting and redoing the EVs for my current battle team...that doens't sound so bad. Of course, they may not have ideal natures (another thing I didn't really care about when playing R/S) so starting over would still have advantages... I don't suppose B/W has a battle area that makes getting levels 70+ relatively quick, does it? Grinding the Elite 4 over and over and only getting one or two levels for the entire run takes way too long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:53 pm 
Gym Leader

If you have a Lucky Egg(and you should, it's mandatory), the Elite Four should give you about 1-2 levels per member until the 90s.

Even better if your pokémons get the trade boost.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:05 pm 
Mew

That's a little better. Still a lot of battle though...

I picked up several types of stat reducing berries in dream world and will put some up for trade once I've grown some extras. Of course, I suppose that doesn't help you guys much unless you can actually find me... Seriously, it's like Nintendo tries to sabatoge every internet related game mode they make.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 am 
Gym Leader

Audino's. They give lots of exp.

Robert worked out a pretty good way for lvling low lvls quickly. He got a Gigalith with explosion. Sent out whatever pokemon he wanted to train against a lvl 50 Audino (in one case lv 1 Dino), swaped out for gigalith, weakened the Audino, used explosion, Dino got all the exp (26, 750) and went from lv 1 to 25.

Also I'm KaidaAdams on the dreamworld if anyone can find me...
I spent ages trying to find out how to find specific people. One site said that if you've traded friend codes and had at least one wifi encounter with them they show up in the dreamworld... didn't work...

That spikes you when you pick it up

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 am 
Gym Leader

Audinos are fine and all up to level 50 or so, but if you want to reach 100, go get dat Elite Four.

However, Audinos are great to get any pokémon up to a level where they can EV train.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:34 am 
Shiny Pidgeot King

I dunno... it seems sort of silly to even bother getting them to level 100 now. You can get them up to 80 or so just playing through the game normally, little level grinding here and there, doing all the extra stuff and what not... and we have the flat battle option for wi-fi matches. As in, it automatically sets everyone to 50. You're probably going to be hard-pressed to find someone who wouldn't prefer those rules anyway, especially if they know your whole team is level 100 and theirs isn't...

And seeing as you can EV train using EXP Share, it seems a little silly to potentially mess that up by fighting Audino... also, most of the good EV training areas have low-level Pokemon anyway, so you can just switch in a different Pokemon to do the actual fighting. Just playing through the game, you're going to have someone with maxed EVs anyway so it wouldn't matter for them. In SS, I have about six fully EV trained Pokemon that haven't attacked another Pokemon once. I feel like that's a little pathetic, but that was the easiest way to do it.

And yeah... if I'm not mistaken, you could add people as Dream Pal using Friend code back in the original Japan only launch. After the servers went down and it became the Global Link, that... didn't happen so much. Colly and I have just been friending other people with a lot of friends and looking for them... I'm connected to GonFamikko, who's part of this huge web of people. If you can find him, check out his Dream Pal Map and I'll show up eventually. Likewise, Colly's friends with MaNa, and he's linked with a lot of others.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:56 am 
Mew

I prefer level 100 battles to 50, and it just doesn't feel right if my battle team isn't level 100... But anyway, sure Audino's give lots of XP and all, but if you're training low level pokémon it's better to just give them a XP Share and fight the Elite Four or some pokémon in an end game dungeon. Actually though, since B/W changes up how XP is divided when using multiple pokémon in a battle, the XP share isn't quite as important anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:55 pm 
Pokémon Legend

Not a comment on 5th gen 'cos I, sadly, don't own it yet, but I'm currently EV training a team, and what I've found is nice and quick is a little Pokerus combined with several exp shares... since I was restarting my Pearl file, I attatched the exp share to one of my pokemon when I sent it over to HG... So, I've got one of the pokemon I'm EV training (with Pokerus) up to like level 30, and it can easily take on some level 16-ish Digletts.... then bring along two other Pokerus'd pokemon and you're getting 6 speed EV's per kill.... not as efficent as you can get, but definitely quicker. Might snag another exp share to speed up the process... Meh, that's just my input, thought I'd share. I'm finding EV training strangely fun... and I just happened to randomly get back into playing pokemon at the same exact time (almost to the day) as two of my other friends randomly got back into playing pokemon. I can't wait to crush them >:D

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid." ~ William Ernest Henley
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:28 pm 
Shiny Pidgeot King

This is how I've been doing it, and I've been EV training quite a lot lately so I have some pre-EV trained guys to transfer to White... Pokerus on everyone, first of all. I have two EXP shares. Attach them to two Pokemon who will never experience a single battle. Send out one holding a power item, preferably one that can battle on its own but it doesn't have to be. If it is, then I wins the battle! And I get 10 EXP on that one, plus 2 for each of the EXP share guys. 14 total per battle. If that one can't battle, then I just switch out my Pidgeot who's already got max EVs... still 14 per battle. Or 20 per battle if it's a Pokemon that gives 2 EVs. So yeah. Speeds it up quite a lot. Power items are freaking awesome.

I'm also finding EV Training strangely fun... it's also nice to have the AR so I can check on their progress of course. Handy little "View EVs" code and all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:15 pm 
Gym Leader

Currently building mah team...but it'll take a while before I get it fully ready (and by that I mean at least EV trained + all of their moves)

Oh yes that reminds me. I am in dire needs of a Dawn Stone, could anyone (preferably someone with access to Black City, they can buy the things them lucky ones) send one my way?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26 pm 
Mew

The latest volume of Pokémon Adventures reminded me that I really need to get back to work on B&W so I started playing it a bit here and there. I finally took down the Elite 4, N, and Geistis. Still have all the post game stuff to do, but my 5th gen dex is actually almost finished, so that's a good start.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:29 am 
Pokémon Master

Despite Silver's rather blunt description of the Black and White games, I decided I'll buy one copy of my own to see for myself. Idk if I want to play competitively or just for fun, but I'm a bit excited either way. My question for everybody is, should I get Black or White?

Trophy Case:
Image Image Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next